Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

99 F-Body 1/2" Studs on 5x120.00mm Bolt Pattern Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 99 F-Body 1/2" Studs on 5x120.00mm Bolt Pattern Wheels?

Incase you don't quite understand why I'm asking.

F-Body STANDARD wheels are 5x120.65mm (or 5x4.75"). The wheels I'm using are more set for the BMW spec of 5x120mm. The STOCK wheel studs are forgiving enough to allow the difference but I was recommended to go to a 1/2" stud with my rear axle upgrade because I intend on putting out some serious numbers..Well.. I am alittle worried that by doing so, my wheels will no longer fit due to the thicker 1/2" stud not being as forgiving as the stock stud...

Does anyone know if my wheels will still fit onto the thicker studs without issues, or has tried this?

If it worked should I be okay, if it didn't work what would you recommend doing?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Incase you don't quite understand why I'm asking.

F-Body STANDARD wheels are 5x120.65mm (or 5x4.75"). The wheels I'm using are more set for the BMW spec of 5x120mm. The STOCK wheel studs are forgiving enough to allow the difference but I was recommended to go to a 1/2" stud with my rear axle upgrade because I intend on putting out some serious numbers. Well.. I am a little worried that by doing so, my wheels will no longer fit due to the thicker 1/2" stud not being as forgiving as the stock stud...

Does anyone know if my wheels will still fit onto the thicker studs without issues, or has tried this?

If it worked should I be okay, if it didn't work what would you recommend doing?
How about buying wheels with the correct lug pattern? The wheels/tires are the only thing that keep your car off the ground, and under control. Throwing a lot of horsepower to an improper wheel set-up isn't that good of an idea. The 5x4.75" bolt pattern has been a GM standard for over 60 years. Finding wheels with that bolt circle shouldn't be all that difficult.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 1/2” studs in all 4 corners but have the correct bolt pattern for GM. I understand the allure of the beemer rims, they are gorgeous, but I don’t think the 1/2” studs will allow you to fudge the incorrect bolt pattern this time.

There are a few brands that have the correct bolt spacing for you that are pretty similar to the beemer rims, I will see if I can find some pics.....

An option could be these from Weld. They are the spoke style, but give you the strength and the correct bolt pattern

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5134-w...per-wheel.aspx

https://www.ccwheel.com/wheels/#classic

If your car makes power and really need the 1/2” studs, that would be a good amount of stress on those studs when launching. I personally wouldn’t reccomend it. Maybe if it was a car show queen that never went over 35, but I’m assuming it’s not...

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 02-14-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
How about buying wheels with the correct lug pattern? The wheels/tires are the only thing that keep your car off the ground, and under control. Throwing a lot of horsepower to an improper wheel set-up isn't that good of an idea. The 5x4.75" bolt pattern has been a GM standard for over 60 years. Finding wheels with that bolt circle shouldn't be all that difficult.
I haven't had much taste for the wheels available for F-Bodies is the main reason. Corvette replica wheels can be seen on just about every 4th Gen out there and there isn't much aftermarket that supports the 5x4.75" outside of replica's and I wanted something more original. Also on the front I did a Brembo conversion and I needed something with enough offset to clear the calipres which most replica's only offer the stock F-Body offset which wont fit.

Right now I'm using hubcentric rings and haven't had any vibrations or problems for alittle over a year. I'm thinking of seeing if I can have the axle modified to fit the wheel.

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I have 1/2” studs in all 4 corners but have the correct bolt pattern for GM. I understand the allure of the beemer rims, they are gorgeous, but I don’t think the 1/2” studs will allow you to fudge the incorrect bolt pattern this time.

There are a few brands that have the correct bolt spacing for you that are pretty similar to the beemer rims, I will see if I can find some pics.....

An option could be these from Weld. They are the spoke style, but give you the strength and the correct bolt pattern

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5134-w...per-wheel.aspx

https://www.ccwheel.com/wheels/#classic

If your car makes power and really need the 1/2” studs, that would be a good amount of stress on those studs when launching. I personally wouldn’t reccomend it. Maybe if it was a car show queen that never went over 35, but I’m assuming it’s not...
Thank you for this, My wheels aren't really "beemer wheels" exactly, they didn't come off a BMW is what I mean to imply by this, they just share the same lug pattern.

I'll show you what I'm after:

Thats whats currently on my car.

Edit: Another thing I was slightly considering was having the axle's made slightly shorter and installing an adapter with 1/2" studs to correct the lug pattern -- but really trying to avoid that.

The other issue as to why I don't want to change is my wheels are 19" Diameter and its pretty hard finding that on a 4.75" lug pattern, I wanted to stay 19" as well.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-14-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, 19s are rare. Weld offer 18 and 20s
Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I think I've come to terms. Quick Performance does offer the 5x120mm but I was told this wasn't a good idea. MWC gave me an idea to use a Duo of 12mm and 1/2" (meaning I can upgrade to 1/2" later.) I'm probably going to do that and just be on the lookout for 19" Wheels that can fit an F-Body 4.75" specs in the mean time.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have 19" Beyern Rapps, my S60 has 1/2 inch studs. You will not have an issue.

Quick Reply: 99 F-Body 1/2" Studs on 5x120.00mm Bolt Pattern Wheels?