Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New Tires "Whistle" - What the heck!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default New Tires "Whistle" - What the heck!?

My new tires (Nitto NT555 G2's) "whistle" at around 40+ mph, and it is driving me crazy!!! I also have a "squeak" (sounds like a bad pulley to me) during sudden acceleration - in my front driver's side area - that only (seems) to happen when the car is warm. Some on here thought the squeak was a bad wheel bearing, so I was wondering if A) New tires can whistle, and B) if the new tires are so quiet I can only now hear the whistle (seems unlikely, it is fairly loud), which is from a bad wheel bearing?

I just jacked up the front and spun the tires with no grinding, and I've never had any grinding/howling noises on the road. They don't budge at all when I shook them top and bottom, and they seemed to move just a teeny tiny bit when I shook them side to side (same results for both driver's and passenger sides).

Any help from you gurus would be appreciated!

2000 WS6 (my DD) with 90k miles
Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

About a month ago when we had several days where temps went to the 80's my engine pulleys started to squeal a bit. Once it cooled back down, the squeal went away. Don't know why.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Any ideas on how to figure out which pulley? It only does it when under load on the road, so I can't make it squeal in neutral or park...