Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Cold Weather Traction - “Summer” and “All Season” Tires

Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Cold Weather Traction - “Summer” and “All Season” Tires

In general, does traction of most summer performance tires deteriorate significantly more than all-season tires as temps drop below the 50’s?

I am still running the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 GS tires on my 98 TA. I am not eager to replace them. However, I picked up a small screw through the tread of 1 – tire. Since Discount Tire would not service it due to age, I plugged it. I am slowly evaluating tire replacement options. My driving is all street, conservative, ~98% dry, no snow. <1k miles/year and <~420HP. However, I do drive ~April-November in MI, so I see a temperatures as low as the 30’s. Should I stick with “All Season” options like the BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S; BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S; and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric AS?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on regularly driving it in temperatures <50°F I would definitely recommend a high performance A/S like the ones you mentioned.

This video helps drive home the reasoning behind it. The performance differences shown in this video between an A/S and winter tire are even greater compared to a summer tire in the same temperatures.

As you can see in the video around the 40-50° point the A/S and winter tire performance differences aren’t huge. The summer tire however would start to look more like the 0° temperature comparison.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 06-08-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You're still running 20 year old original OEM tires?
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

BassAckwards, seen the video before, but watched it again. Thanks.

HCI2000SS, yes. "098" DOT date code. ~26k miles. Tread depth still ok. Absolutely no cracking. Some cuts in the tread area though. Not real happy about plugging the 1 tire. If not for the cuts and plug, I would likely be quite content running them for another 10+ years with my conservative driving and low miles/year.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

If you've never tried them in the winter its hard to believe just how good the new stud-less ice tires are,,

Have a AWD BMW that normally has Continental DWS tires on it, tried some X-Ice and WHOA!
The DWS were really really good, car was like a snowmobile,,, on ice the X-ice tires its just that much better..
Scary amount of traction..
The DWS are so good I haven't popped for another set of rims yet for the ice tires but considering it..
Get a set of the same size Conti winter tires on some used BMW rims and it would rock.

Tires over about 5 years old are a bad idea.. They are harder, more brittle and the interior liner is getting old.
You can't see the stuff thats aging. The exterior can be perfect.. and things in side the tire carcas can be shot..
Synthetic belted radials are really bad for aging.
About the only reason a modern tire fully blows out beside extreme damage is age.. You can't see whats wrong.

YMMV..
Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bsf
BassAckwards, seen the video before, but watched it again. Thanks.

HCI2000SS, yes. "098" DOT date code. ~26k miles. Tread depth still ok. Absolutely no cracking. Some cuts in the tread area though. Not real happy about plugging the 1 tire. If not for the cuts and plug, I would likely be quite content running them for another 10+ years with my conservative driving and low miles/year.
Wow that's impressive, I've never seen anyone run 20 year old stock tires before on these cars lol
Old 06-08-2018, 08:15 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
….The DWS were really really good….Tires over about 5 years old are a bad idea.. They are harder, more brittle and the interior liner is getting old….
Though I prefer to do everything though Discount Tire, and DWS’s do not appear on the website, I will add them to the list. Additionally, thank you for your concern.

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Wow that's impressive, I've never seen anyone run 20 year old stock tires before on these cars lol
Shrug. I am easy on tires and brakes and do not make many frivolous purchases.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see you are in MI. Whereabouts if you don't mind my asking?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Weather Traction - “Summer” and “All Season” Tires