Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

OE Wheels said their chrome Z06 wheels on fit my C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OE Wheels said their chrome Z06 wheels on fit my C5 Z06?

Long story short, my car came with chrome C5 Z06 wheels. I need to replace one of the fronts and emailed OE Wheels and they said their Z06 wheels will not fit a Z06 due to the brakes.

I'm pretty sure other people are running these. The offset and Back Spacing look the same on all the replicas I've looked at. Anyone actually running these wheels or is there a different brand everyone else is choosing?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Title was suppose to say won't*

Autocorrect got me. Lol
Old 07-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just beware......OE Chrome plating is 100% ****.

Do not be surprised if in 3 months they start pitting and chipping. Happened to me...two brand new sets from them. One sent to me under warranty was a shitty as the first set.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by lusting4ls1
Long story short, my car came with chrome C5 Z06 wheels. I need to replace one of the fronts and emailed OE Wheels and they said their Z06 wheels will not fit a Z06 due to the brakes.

I'm pretty sure other people are running these. The offset and Back Spacing look the same on all the replicas I've looked at. Anyone actually running these wheels or is there a different brand everyone else is choosing?
Hi lusting4ls1,

Unfortunately our wheels are replicas and do not fit the z06 models. The rep you corresponded with was correct, the brakes on that model are considered high performance and are larger than the base model calipers. While a lot of the specifications are similar, the most important here is the spoke clearance. We don't normally refer to that measurement on our website so the specifications will look identical, but that's why we have our fitment guide there as well. I would ask if anybody has had success with spacers or other modifications, but we can't guarantee a direct bolt-on fitment. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

In reference to the chrome quality, we use a classic chrome finish which is accomplished in a three step plating process. The first layer of plating is copper which adheres to the wheel and creates a smooth foundation. The second is nickel, providing hardness and durability. The final layer is chrome, which creates the bright cosmetic finish. We offer a one-year finish warranty on our traditional chrome (with proper maintenance).

I believe the chrome wheels that are being referenced are from the PVD chrome process, which is a more cost-effective product but does not last like traditional chrome. Many companies that manufactured their PVD chrome overseas experienced these issues, which is also why they are priced accordingly (much lower than traditional chrome). If our customers have issues with finish within a reasonable time frame, and the wheels were properly maintained, we stand by our product and will send replacements. However if an item is marked with no warranty or as discontinued, we make sure the customer knows the sale is final. The good news is our PVD chroming process is being brought to the United States and will not have the issues we've seen in the past.
Give us a call for fast service!
(866) 273 - 3651

Check out our wheels!

Last edited by OEWheelsLLC; 07-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OEWheelsLLC
Hi lusting4ls1,

Unfortunately our wheels are replicas and do not fit the z06 models. The rep you corresponded with was correct, the brakes on that model are considered high performance and are larger than the base model calipers. While a lot of the specifications are similar, the most important here is the spoke clearance. We don't normally refer to that measurement on our website so the specifications will look identical, but that's why we have our fitment guide there as well. I would ask if anybody has had success with spacers or other modifications, but we can't guarantee a direct bolt-on fitment. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

In reference to the chrome quality, we use a classic chrome finish which is accomplished in a three step plating process. The first layer of plating is copper which adheres to the wheel and creates a smooth foundation. The second is nickel, providing hardness and durability. The final layer is chrome, which creates the bright cosmetic finish. We offer a one-year finish warranty on our traditional chrome (with proper maintenance).

I believe the chrome wheels that are being referenced are from the PVD chrome process, which is a more cost-effective product but does not last like traditional chrome. Many companies that manufactured their PVD chrome overseas experienced these issues, which is also why they are priced accordingly (much lower than traditional chrome). If our customers have issues with finish within a reasonable time frame, and the wheels were properly maintained, we stand by our product and will send replacements. However if an item is marked with no warranty or as discontinued, we make sure the customer knows the sale is final. The good news is our PVD chroming process is being brought to the United States and will not have the issues we've seen in the past.
That Warranty and Standing By Your Product is another issue....besides the crap Chinese chrome process......

When my chrome started falling off all 4 rims in 3-4 months all OE Wheels had to say, without even seeing my rims........"""Its your fault for not cleaning the brake dust off the rims""" Thats some funny ****......

#1...brake dust cannot hurt chrome plating where its falling off in big chunks in 3-4 months.
#2...They didn't even see the rims.

SO...I sent pictures, very detailed pictures, and again they said the brake dust did it. Well, my car gets washed with soap and water every 4-5 days...religiously. Or it sits in a cement storage unit while I'm over in the Middle East for extended periods. So they said to send the rims to them so they can inspect them. More funny ****. Spend all that money to ship 4 heavy rims and then have OE Wheels again say, "its brake dust"....

I took my car to 4 chrome EXPERTS in Ft. Lauderdale who do chrome plating for $100 million super yachts......all 4 of those shops said the chrome was falling off because of horrible prep work before the chrome was applied. Not from brake dust.......

So they offered me a discount on a brand new set of rims. So of course I paid that, received the rims, and then immediately reversed all the charges. HELL, if I'm gonna have some BS shop tell me that brake dust caused the chrome to fall off in 3-4 months and then have to pay for a new set. Then.....the brand new 2nd pair....chrome started chipping and pitting in the next 3-4 months again.

So I took one set of rims and sent them to California to get stripped and re-chromed professionally. Now I have a set of badass chrome plated rims.

BEWARE........thats all I have to say. Warranties don't mean **** if they are already deciding NOT to honor them, which is exactly what OE Wheels did to me. OR TRIED to do to me......I had to reverse charges to get my 2nd set sent to me....so basically I enforced OE Wheels warranty....LOL

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To my knowledge, the C5 Z06 has the same, if not, extremely similar 2 piston floating caliper to the base C5 Corvettes. I think the only real difference is the C5 Z06 calipers are red so brake clearance shouldn't be an issue. The C6 Z06 is where the big 6 piston fixed calipers and wheel fitment issues come into play.

If I was in your shoes where I had to replace one OEM wheel, I would search Craigslist or reach out House of Wheels or another supplier for a real Corvette wheel. It may cost a little more but I would go with a real GM OEM Corvette wheel, so you don't have one replica and three real ones. Most replicas may look the same but most have slight differences you don't notice unless you're looking at a replica and a real wheel right next to each other, which on the car you would be. You also have the issue of the finish possibly being different between the 15 year-old factory finish and whatever OEWheels is doing today, which could cause a different looking chrome on the one replica. If you're buying an entire set, that's one thing, but if you're looking for one replacement, I would look for an original. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.houseofwheelsonline.com/corvette_oe.php
https://www.ebay.com/usr/houseofwhee...559&rmvSB=true
Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Just beware......OE Chrome plating is 100% ****.

Do not be surprised if in 3 months they start pitting and chipping. Happened to me...two brand new sets from them. One sent to me under warranty was a shitty as the first set.

Does black hold up better?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skopers3
Does black hold up better?
I have no experience with any of their other finishes.....but they are a low-rate, crap quality company. Their customer service is complete ****. They are scam artists as far as I'm concerned after my horrible experience with them.

As far as the quality of the actual wheel itself....it was confirmed by a company that the wheel is good quality.

So...just buy whatever wheel you like, then do what I did...have it stripped and redone by a real good shop. Either have it re-chromed or have them powder coated. I had mine stripped and re-chromed......they look badass......

Old 08-16-2018, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

I had a 2nd hand set of OE Wheel Z06 C5 chrome wheels. The chrome finish wasn't still in good condition but the wheels were extremely heavy. 17 x 9 rim felt like it weighted about 30 pounds. I don't think one would want 3 ~18 pound factory rims and a ~30 pound OE Wheel rim. I know I didn't and sold them.

Quick Reply: OE Wheels said their chrome Z06 wheels on fit my C5 Z06?