Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

skinnies size...dead horse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Default skinnies size...dead horse?

Picked up some GTO spare fronts. I know guys have been 140+ on these wheels no problem so I was pretty excited to find them cheap and local to me.
But they still have the factory spare tire on them...rated for 81 MPH. I obviously won't be running those.

I see the "recommendation" for what most people run is a 185/55r17 from M&H or a similarly sized Hoosier radial. If that's my only choice then I guess I will go with them...but I'd really like some input on different options.

Has anyone ran a 195/40r17? These are a much more affordable tire and there are options rated for 168 MPH so they will more than fit what I need them to do.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran M&H on GTO spares when I had my vette. They wear fast and require a lot of air pressure. I now have the Mickey sportsman SR's on my 17" Streetlites. I like them more than the M&H for street driving but I'm pretty sure they are a little heavier.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using a drag radial, or a bias ply rear tire? I use M&H bias ply on my GTO spares but have not tried any other tires. I recently purchased a set of Weld skinnies for my Camaro that have some cheap off-brand radial tire but I have not mounted or driven them yet. I suppose a cheap off-brand might be an option if you don't MPH too high. By the way, my GTO skinnies and tires weigh about the same as the Weld skinnies with tires, so they are good for the money.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a copy of my post that shows the weights:

I bought a pair of used Weld Prostar 15x3.5 with Nankang tires, lugnuts and spacers for $150. Without center caps. They weigh 27.2 lbs each. By comparison GTO spares and MH bias ply front runners weigh 25.6 lbs each. I'll weigh the stockers when I swap them out.

Per other posts on this forum the Prostars weigh 10.5 lbs each so the Nankang's weigh about 16.7 lbs each. Per other postings on this forum Moroso front runners weigh 12.3 lbs each. The Moroso's would save 8.8 lbs total.

Quick Reply: skinnies size...dead horse?