Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Good street tire for 700whp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good street tire for 700whp?

I’m looking for good tire recommendations for street driving a 700whp M6 C6 widebooty. I live in Florida so cold weather isn’t a concern but I do get caught in the rain on the regular, that’s just Florida.

I’m not at all worried about strip performance as I plan on getting proper slicks for that purpose. I just want a good all around tire that will hook reasonably well in 2nd gear and beyond, have OK life, and not be a death trap in the rain. It’s a weekend only car not my daily so I’m ok leaning more towards the performance side but I do drive the car so I’d like to see more than 3k tire life.

At the moment I’m considering the NT05r and 555r. I’ve had the latter on an F-body many moons ago and they were ok in the rain, but wasn’t hugely impressed with the traction. Of course, I wasn’t on a 345 either. The 05’s get great reviews on traction but from what I read are useless in rain.

I’m open to others, the 888’s perhaps?

edit: looks like the 555’s aren’t made in 19” so that’s off the list

Last edited by 11GS; 11-05-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

How about the Proxes TQ?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts

I had the 555r and I have the nt05r now. The Nt05r are downright death wish in the rain. The 555r are scary. i had them start walking over on me at 50ish mph. My buddy has the toyo's and says they do well and he runs in the 11's so they hook decent in the dry too. i want to say the 555r were kinda ok when they were brand new, but really they werent for long at all. I hate that nitto shaves the tread depth on them. It would be a much better tire if it had proper tread depth.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

i have an idea for you guys. Go on the nitto's website just like i did and request them start making a good sticky tire that works well in the rain.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
How about the Proxes TQ?
I was not aware of these, but sadly it looks like they are not available in 19” sizes. At this point I’ve dropped so much cash into this car over the last 4 months I’d rather not have to buy new wheels. Great suggestion though, thanks for your reply!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
I had the 555r and I have the nt05r now. The Nt05r are downright death wish in the rain. The 555r are scary. i had them start walking over on me at 50ish mph. My buddy has the toyo's and says they do well and he runs in the 11's so they hook decent in the dry too. i want to say the 555r were kinda ok when they were brand new, but really they werent for long at all. I hate that nitto shaves the tread depth on them. It would be a much better tire if it had proper tread depth.
Thanks! I had the 555’s on an F-body probably back in 2002-2003 when they first came out. I agree, they were pretty good in rain when they were new, but that didn’t last super long. They did, to me, at least seem predictable. It sounds like the 05’s are greased Teflon in the rain.

Good idea writing the mfrs, with the advent of 700+HP factory cars there should be a better bridge between a rain / summer tire with softer compound.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've ran the 555r's and the r888's and the r888's are a better all around street tire. Grip was about equal but the r888's handle ALOT better and I think had slightly better tire life and imo were better in the rain. When my current r888's need to be replaced I will probably buy them again.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recommend the R888R :
I just swapped out my old R888's for the new version R888R. Love them for the street. Your needs are the exact same needs as I have.
I have to say it is night & day when you replace an old tire ( 4 years old) with new. It was like driving on "Ice Road Truckers" with the old tires. I'm not so sure that the new version is that much better than its predecessor. For me it was the fact that while I had plenty of tread left ... the old tires were hard & lost their pliability.
My pleasant surprise when I could finally get traction rolling into 2nd & they stick 3rd nicely. I'm sure you would find the same results.

Here is the bad news, they come in 19" but you will pay out your nose for them.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone sent and email to nitto yet? I'd highly recommend it. It may help us to get a better sticky daily driver tire available. I need something, if i;m not going over 55-60mph, i cant get on it, thats at low boost too.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone else looking at this thread that does not need 19" or bigger, look at the toyo RA1 and the proxxes TQ
Old 11-06-2018, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I fear you (we) are searching for a unicorn. If we want traction on the street with high HP cars, it’s going to take r-compounds (555R, R888’s etc). I spend more time on the road course than the drag strip, so i like the 555RII’s and the R888’s. The rub is that they’re a death wish in the rain. Standing water is simply more than the tires can properly channel out.

For HPDE’s we run in the rain and after some wild rides on wet r-compounds, I do have a separate set of wheels mounted on Nitto Invo’s for the rain. In case anyone is wondering if they work....yes, they can actually maintain traction through standing water, however the straight line traction on wet or dry pavement is terrible.

I have an itch to try out some of the high end Michelin pilot sports that we find on Porsche’s and exotics. Makes sense — those cardboard make great power and sure they put power down more effectively than our cars however i wonder how well they would work on the street.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Midnight02
I fear you (we) are searching for a unicorn. If we want traction on the street with high HP cars, it’s going to take r-compounds (555R, R888’s etc). I spend more time on the road course than the drag strip, so i like the 555RII’s and the R888’s. The rub is that they’re a death wish in the rain. Standing water is simply more than the tires can properly channel out.

For HPDE’s we run in the rain and after some wild rides on wet r-compounds, I do have a separate set of wheels mounted on Nitto Invo’s for the rain. In case anyone is wondering if they work....yes, they can actually maintain traction through standing water, however the straight line traction on wet or dry pavement is terrible.

I have an itch to try out some of the high end Michelin pilot sports that we find on Porsche’s and exotics. Makes sense — those cardboard make great power and sure they put power down more effectively than our cars however i wonder how well they would work on the street.
check out the Toyo ra1
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toyo R888R hands down.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After driving on my R888R for a few weekends now, I am very impressed.
Once they are warmed up, second gear is holding 700+lbs TQ. The previous version R888 ( when new) broke lose at about 500.
The R888R has the addition of a new deep channel which mitigates hydroplaning along with a new & more aggressive tread pattern. Much better in the rain (its all relative) but it actually feels stable.
If this was a track application then other true DR's would be a stronger option. I've heard some say the Toyo's tend to get "gummie" ( not in a good way) when over heated during a burnout etc.. I've not experienced any issue thus far.

Overall:
It sticks like a DR on the street & still handles like a road course tire !