Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin PILOT SPORT 4S

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these tires on an f body?

If so , thoughts on them.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have not gotten my car running again yet, but I have a pair in 305/30ZR19 at the rear. I plan to put 275s in the front. Based on the reviews, they should be class-leading tires for a daily driver in good weather. They are pretty pricey though. If they don't have a huge advantage, I will go back to Continentals again.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I have not gotten my car running again yet, but I have a pair in 305/30ZR19 at the rear. I plan to put 275s in the front. Based on the reviews, they should be class-leading tires for a daily driver in good weather. They are pretty pricey though. If they don't have a huge advantage, I will go back to Continentals again.
Thanks , I was thinking the same rear on a 10.5 x19 rim and 285 fronts on 19x9.5 rim . Interestingly enough I had considered the extreme contact continentals too . But undecided .
Old 03-10-2019, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The extremecontact sports are supposed to be very comparable to the MPSS but cost way less! Once my Forgestar CF5s get in ill be going with 295 conti extremecontact sports all around.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

I had a full set of 4 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires in 275/30ZR19 (those are the 2 still left on my fronts at about 30% tread life remaining) on 19" x 9.5" wheels. I previously had the standard WS-6 wheels (17" x 9") with 275/40R17 BFG G-Force Sport tires before that. I thought that going +2 on the wheel size would potentially hurt the ride quality a lot. To my surprise, the ride was actually better with the Continentals. The BFGs have an artificially stiffened sidewall, for better handling on cars without low profile tires, which is partially to blame. The Continentals gave up some of the at-the-limit handling of the BFGs in exchange for a smoother ride, less noise, and less tramlining. However, the breakaway is much more progressive with the Continentals, so you can actually access the handling limits of the tire, unlike the G-Force Sports, which break away suddenly and rather unpredictably, meaning that you cannot safely approach that higher limit anyway. More succinctly, the Continental is a better tire than the BFG in every way.

Now, the BFG G-Force Sport has since been replaced by the G-Force Sport Comp-2, and the Continental ExtremeContact DW was replaced by the ExtremeContact Sport. And for that matter, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S--which is supposed to be just as grippy, but more compliant and better in the wet. The Continentals were pretty good when worn, while the BFGs sucked after 50% was past. I still have the two rear Continental tires which, like the fronts, are at about 30%, but dismounted for use when those front two wear out. I took them off when I had my rear wheels cut and widened to 10.5" to mount the 305/30ZR19 Michelins. I will be driving the car again soon, however given the amount that has changed (and the time since I last drove it), I won't likely be able to assess the tire's contribution to it all. At least until I wear through both sets of front tires and put Michelins up there too. By then, I should be pretty accustomed to the car's behavior.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I had a full set of 4 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires in 275/30ZR19 (those are the 2 still left on my fronts at about 30% tread life remaining) on 19" x 9.5" wheels. I previously had the standard WS-6 wheels (17" x 9") with 275/40R17 BFG G-Force Sport tires before that. I thought that going +2 on the wheel size would potentially hurt the ride quality a lot. To my surprise, the ride was actually better with the Continentals. The BFGs have an artificially stiffened sidewall, for better handling on cars without low profile tires, which is partially to blame. The Continentals gave up some of the at-the-limit handling of the BFGs in exchange for a smoother ride, less noise, and less tramlining. However, the breakaway is much more progressive with the Continentals, so you can actually access the handling limits of the tire, unlike the G-Force Sports, which break away suddenly and rather unpredictably, meaning that you cannot safely approach that higher limit anyway. More succinctly, the Continental is a better tire than the BFG in every way.

Now, the BFG G-Force Sport has since been replaced by the G-Force Sport Comp-2, and the Continental ExtremeContact DW was replaced by the ExtremeContact Sport. And for that matter, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport has been replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S--which is supposed to be just as grippy, but more compliant and better in the wet. The Continentals were pretty good when worn, while the BFGs sucked after 50% was past. I still have the two rear Continental tires which, like the fronts, are at about 30%, but dismounted for use when those front two wear out. I took them off when I had my rear wheels cut and widened to 10.5" to mount the 305/30ZR19 Michelins. I will be driving the car again soon, however given the amount that has changed (and the time since I last drove it), I won't likely be able to assess the tire's contribution to it all. At least until I wear through both sets of front tires and put Michelins up there too. By then, I should be pretty accustomed to the car's behavior.
Great response thank you , I am actually considering the extreme contacts .......from reading reviews and they run a bit narrower than the ps4s so the 285 up front wont give me any rubbing issues......
Old 03-31-2019, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the new extreme contact sports , they arent the dw version. Im seriously jacked about these tires , get great reviews i paid around 420/tire . Thanks for input .
Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats! I think they did away with the DW, DWS designations this time around. It's just "Sport." The price sounds kind of high, although you are talking CAD, so that's about $315.50 USD. The front size you specified is $278.99 on TireRack, and the rear $287.99 in USD. But with shipping and tax, that may actually be about right.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Not with my Fbod… But I do run these on my C6Z stock set up.... Love em!!

Drag set up...
Old 04-07-2019, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
Not with my Fbod… But I do run these on my C6Z stock set up.... Love em!!

Drag set up...
Removed the tires, calipers and rotor. clean the rust off the rotor hat, tape off the rotor brake face and paint (Hi-temp' paint from autozone) the hat black, Put everything back together and smile.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

At car show I always see nice cars with rusted rotors, clean and paint them, it last for years. Hi-temp Paint come in many colors.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

We are talking tires here... Are you sharp shootin my Z? Its NOT a show car for sure!!

Old 04-07-2019, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=01Z0H6;20076787]We are talking tires here... Are you sharp shootin my Z? Its NOT a show car for sure!!

No I'm not sharp shooting, I'm not 1 of those guys, that flame people.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

You are right though... A little elbow grease on those rotor hats would make a big difference...