Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Boyd Wheels damn near impossible!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boyd Wheels damn near impossible!

I've tried for over 2 weeks to just place a friggin order. DTD gave me a price and then back pedaled on me. Ending up telling me they didn't want to do a special order wheel for me due to the risk! Woudn't return my messages or anything. My $2200 for a wheel/tire package wasn't good enough I guess. I'll never attempt to do business with them again. This was their second strike on wheels for me. Boyd themselves want you to sell a kidney for them, and the other places that said they could get them for me didn't return a phone call either! I was pissed!

Turned out good though, as I found a set of 18x9.5 Chrome Z06's for the front and 18x10.5's for the back. Has 265/35 BFG G Force KD's on the front and 295/35 BFG G Force DR's on the back. BRAND NEW! Picked them up local for a great price and got them on the car this morning. Rolled the fenders with my new roller for insurance and all is good! Just wanted to vent alittle about the above cluster ****! The SS is back on 18 inch Chrome with meat on the back!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the trouble with DTD and boyd. I ordered my boyds through a local tire dealer and he got them for about as cheap as DTD but he also gives me free rotations for life since i ordered through him. What Boyd's were you gonna get? Well, the ZO6's always looks sweet on camaro's anyways!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't go wrong with the Z's. I think Boyd wheels are way overated anyways. I mean they have some nice styles. But for the money you can buy a set of Billet Specialties and the polish is way better on the Billets than the boyds. I local Hotrod shop has a set of Torq Thurst, Boyds, and Billets next to each other on there rack just to compare and when you look at them the billets just reach out a smack you in the face they shine so good. Oh yeah I'm kinda partial to the Z's 2.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

I was trying to get the Timeless 2's. Great looking wheel, but now I don't have to polish! This is my 3rd set of Z06's. Started off with 17's, then 18x9.5's, and now 18x10.5's. Thanks for the good words fellas!
Old 12-12-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'm with you I want 18/10.5's in the back. I used to have a set of Billet Specialties on a Slammed S-10 I loved the way they looked put I had to polish them about everyother month and it usually took me 3 hr's. to do them. But of course I used cotton ***** and Q-tips to polish them.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea....I'm fairly pissed with my BC wheels. It took 36 weeks to get them and they don't shine well at all. EVen after hours with an electric polisher pad and then hand polishing, my friends unwashed American Racing TTIIs looked better.

My Boyds are beat all to hell now anyway...I ran over a concrete wheel stop in the road this morning and took out two rims and the alignment...hopefully nothing else. I had nowhere to go...a car to my left and a ditch to the right...the car in front of me barely missed it...I had no time to react. It's just as well, though, one of the Boyd rims had a wobble that they say isn't there...you can see it on the dyno clear as day...morons over there...do you ever watch their TV show?
I guess it's time for some new rims, tires, alignment, and maybe some suspension components...thank you to whomever left that thing in the road.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
9 Second Club

Boyds are nice but i dunno how much i like the polished wheels.You cant go wrong with chrome.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chrome is nice just for the fact that they have easy upkeep. I prefer the polished look even if it's more work to keep em clean. To each his own though!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I also prefer a polish rim if it is billet. But for the upkeep it's chrome all the way.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
CNB
11 Second Club

What do you think of these?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like em! What vehicle would they be going on?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:41 AM
CNB
11 Second Club

They're for sale. We took some pictures of the wheels on my friends T/A so people could see how they looked on a car.
https://ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=245338
Old 12-14-2004, 11:59 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I wouldnt be to worried about it my friend.

I ordered a set of BC10s from DTD. They actually ended up being the Boyd Coddington "tuned" wheels since BC Forged went under. Well I finally got them, started cleaning them with the zoop seal prep wash. Mixed all my Zoop chemicals etc. Well, turned out on closer inspection while cleaning, they were bent. 1 bent BADLY, as if someone dropped it, and threw it back in the box. I know for a fact it couldn't have happened during shipping, as the wheels were roped together in pairs of two, and packaged neatly.

On top of all this, I ordered fully polished, only the lip and face of the wheel were polished (half assed). The lug holes were not de-burred, and basically they turned out to be a **** product.

This left me with expensive wheels, that were absolute crap, and I wasted a $120 bucks worth of zoop seal. The stuff only lasts a few days after mixed...

I sent them back, luckily DTD helped me there. I wouldn't spend a penny on any of Boyds products after seeing my wheels.

I ordered up some iForged Senekas and couldn't be happier with the service and quality of the wheels. Well worth the money, quality is not even comparable, and in all honesty, they didn't cost much more.

I'm glad you stayed away from them and are happy with the chrome Z06s.
Rob
Old 12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

are boyds that bad? I want some of the smoothie 2's but all these problems are making my have second thoughts.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Hey John great deal on the tires/rims, but your still too slow to be sporting those rear tires you should donate them to me.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Ok Ive been loosing my mind for months, when i finally decided to go with the Boyd Blasters, now i hear there crap?
Well I think Im gonna have to do the I-Forged
who is reputable and cheapest to get them from?
thanks
Rob
Old 12-15-2004, 02:53 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

My Boyds are of excellent quality. No issues anywhere and didn't need much to balance. Maybe the quality control went out the door after I bought mine.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not that they are total crap, it's just that the materials they use aren't acceptable for the price they are asking. You can buy a wheel that is much better for only a little more money.
Since day one, one of my Boyd's was warped across the face. I returned it to them and they said it was perfectly straight. The road force balancer says that it needs to be replaced. You can see it wobble when you watch it roll on the dyno...Boyd just doesn't want to replace it. It's very annoying and shakes the whole car at 65+ mph. Nothing I can do about it, though.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thats some crazy $hit! My last set of wheels were crap. I just bought some new Centerlines and they were a steal. Im also very fortunate that they are all in great shape and Ive had absolutely no complaints. I guess its just luck of the draw sometimes.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:40 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

You heard my story... like I said, I wouldn't give Boyd another penny of mine. Others have bought wheels and have been satisfied with them. Depends on what you're looking for. I'm 19 so the money I spend matters to me. Between car payments, insurance, and parts, I want to get my moneys worth.

With the iForged wheels, like I said, you can't even compare the quality. Worth the money to me, it's a quality product, and you get what you would expect for the $$$.

It's not the first time I've heard of problems with Boyd's stuff. They have had tons of problems with Smoothie 2s, but I was told, since they were cast, the quality wasn't on the same level as their forged products. BS they are all crap IMO.