Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

aircraft stripper

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aircraft stripper

i was wondering if i could use aircraft stripper on my silver zr1 wheels to take off the paint on the lip and make them look polished. i have friends that have dont on their bikes and it worked great. will this work on regular wheels.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

i believe what you will find underneith is a dull metal requiring rubbing out to get that polished look...someone correct me if im wrong tho, just seems like they wouldnt go through all the trouble polishing the wheel just to paint over it.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, it'd be fine for stripping the paint and clear off your wheels. But, like the guy above me said... the metal below it isn't polished. You'll need to put a bit of work in to them to polish them up like how you want them. If you have the proper tools and compounds it shouldn't be too hard especially if youy're just looking to polish the lip.

Be sure to find a way to tape off REALLY good and secure the areas that you don't want the paint removed... that aircraft stripper is some strong stuff. It doesn't take long at all for it to start bubbling up the clear/paint of anything it touches. It took the clearcoat off my WS6 wheels in no time at all.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Don't do it.

I did this and there are a few issues.

First, the paint on those wheels is TOUGH. It took several applications on each wheel to get the stuff off. I was doing almost a full can per wheel per application.

Once I got the paint off, I decided that it would take at least 20 hours per wheel, probably to polish them up. It is a VERY rough surface.

I decided I could live with the rough surface, since it was at least consistent. However, it was only consistent on the first 2 wheels. The other 2 had been worked on at the factory and it shows once the paint has been removed.

I am running them on the car for now, but will probably end up buying some wheels next spring.

One good thing to report though. I was worried that the stripper would mess with the rubber on the tires. Once I realized that both the tires and valve stems will withstand the stripper, that made things go a lot easier.

I would also recommend, elbow length gloves, safety glasses and long pants. I got some stripper on one arm and one leg. It starts to burn almost instantly. And it hurts badly.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

ok, guys thanks for he info. i think now i will just have them professionally done.