Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Those of you running MT ET Street Radials on stock wheels....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those of you running MT ET Street Radials on stock wheels....

For those of you running MT ET Street radials on stock 16" f-body wheels, and more specificly chromed Trans Am 5 spokes, do you have a problem with the wheels spinning in the tires? I put a pair on an extra set of chromed wheels I have and I have managed to spin the rim in the tire twice now, and it was on the street @ 30 psi. I am going to screw them but I am curious if anyone else has had this problem. I don't make that much power maybe somewhere in the 350 hp range with higher tq. due to the stall.
Let me know either way because I am trying to come up with some sort of a reason for this to happen.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:11 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know plenty of people do it but could it have something to do with the rim being 2" narrower than MT recommends?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

It may, I really don't know for sure thats why I'm posting here?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I have 2 friends that run 16" stock chrome T/A rim with 26" x 10.5 ET Streets and they have never had any problems with the rims spinning. They have run them at the track plenty of times too, and still no problems. Both of there car make over 360-370 rwhp also. But I have heard that not every M/T tire is made exactly perfect, so may you just got one of those?? I will say that we did have hell mounting these ET Streets, it felt like the beads on the tires were to small for the rim. We had to get some air in them and then bounce them until they sealed properly. So, like I heard they don't make them perfect, but I not sure if that is not just a rumor!! So, hope my experience helps!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the response. If it was just one wheel that spun i would lean toward a bad tire but I have done it with both now that is why I'm concerned there is some sort of fitment problem or something.
Also you state they used ET Streets, were they the streets or the street radials? The ones I am using are these http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...et_radial.html
Old 08-21-2005, 09:59 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They hook good, better than ET streets most of the time. You can try one of my tricks, use some yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the bead when you mount them, it will glue the tires to the rim. I do it with slicks vs. screws to prevent spinning on the rim.