LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires-17/)
-   -   315 real world widths (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/383967-315-real-world-widths.html)

dailydriver 11-09-2005 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Question is, do the GSD3s hook as well as the Nitto drags in the 315 size?

The Nittos, with a crazy burnout and warm air temps (>50 degrees) will out stick the D3s by far. Below 50 degrees, regardless of burnout, I'd rather be on crappy all season tires, let alone a great street tire like the D3s, than the Nitto DRs!!!

dailydriver 11-09-2005 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by TurboGTO
Also how bad is the KD in the rain really? I've heard everything from tolerable, to "it's like driving on ice". It looks like it has a pretty good tread pattern for evacuating the water. To me it looks better than the Nitto and people say Nittos are OK in the rain.

I've had both, in 275/40 17 on 9" ZR1s. The KDs are actually very good in the rain new down to 5/32nds tread left, after that they were dangerous. The Nittos (R2s front, DRs back) were about the same at the same wear levels, but were completely useless at any air temp below 50-55 degrees, regardless of wear level. The Nittos seem to heat cycle harden worse than any tire in existance.

JasonWW 11-09-2005 09:39 PM

I also had the Nittos (R2s front, DRs back) on my daily driver. It must have been your burnouts that caused them to heat cycle. I ran mine down to the cords and the grip was just as good as when new, Maybe even better.

I didn't do burnouts and I live in a fairly warm climate, though, so maybe that helped.

dailydriver 11-10-2005 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I also had the Nittos (R2s front, DRs back) on my daily driver. It must have been your burnouts that caused them to heat cycle. I ran mine down to the cords and the grip was just as good as when new, Maybe even better.

I didn't do burnouts and I live in a fairly warm climate, though, so maybe that helped.

Maybe, but I only did them at the track, and even then it was only a 5 second (or less) burnout. Yes, to get a decent 60' I should have gone to a 10 sec.+ smoker, but was originally told otherwise (by the Nitto techs). Yes, it rarely gets as cold there as even our mid fall/spring does. Hey, if they work for you in a warm climate, then all the more power to you, but next time I'm getting MT DRs on their own wheels. :)

dug 11-10-2005 05:07 PM

Nitto 315's would probably fit best on a 10" rim like the smoothies.

A lot of people say cold nittos are almost dangerous.

JasonWW 11-10-2005 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dug
A lot of people say cold nittos are almost dangerous.

I've never heard that. Last winter it snowed down here and even though the snow didn't stay on the roads, the surface was really cold and the tires were fine front and rear. You could tell that grip was a little less for the first mile or so of driving, but I think that's true with every tire that is really cold on a cold road.

I always felt the 555R's were some of the safest you can get.

ssPetess 11-11-2005 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
I have terrible rubbing issues with gsd3's because they are so fat.

Are you running a double rod ended APHB? That fixed my rubbing issues mostly, that and the rolled fenders and BFH mod. I was amazed at just how much a single rod ended PHB moves. I also bumped up my tire pressue from 30 to 35 psi. Now the only time i rub is when I have a fat ass it the car and I take a hard turn. Oh I also bought a set of DMS rear springs, the Pro-kit rear were way too low and soft.

Jefro6996 11-12-2005 05:33 PM

I have a set of 315 bfg DR's and they stick out past my 17x11 rim much more than these pics of gsd3's. the nittos are much much smaller even though they are 315 and match up to more like a 295 size tire. My 315's fit fine with bfh mod.