LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires-17/)
-   -   Help with lightweight wheels (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/472645-help-lightweight-wheels.html)

Storms of War 03-20-2006 12:09 AM

Help with lightweight wheels

Sometime down the line I'd like to invest in a new set of wheels. I already checked the wheel weight sticky, but there weren't enough things listed to make a choice. What is the lightest wheel that I could run on a daily driver? I want 285's in the back. I'm told that Borbet is a good company to look into. I'd like a light set of tires as well if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks guys!

Storms of War 05-31-2006 02:50 AM

Just bumping the thread. What is the lightest weight wheel that I could fit 295's onto? I'm told that anything bigger than this will cause more parasitic loss than it's worth, unless you're making huge power (which I'm not). I suppose I'd want to keep with 245's up front.

blind527 05-31-2006 01:29 PM

You can get 15x10's in the back and 325/50R/15 Nitto's in the back, with skinnies up front. That would be killer.

Storms of War 05-31-2006 08:59 PM

That sounds good, but what rims are the lightest? I'd love to have some nice wide tires :D I'm just hoping to shed weight at the same time. Especially rotational weight.

Grimes 05-31-2006 09:23 PM

If you are looking for light wheels, get ccw or fikse rims. They are major bling, but they do save lbs.

Scotty-Z 05-31-2006 09:39 PM

Yeah, if you're not looking to run any sort of drag wheels (bigs and skinnies), then you might be looking at spending lots of money to get a lighter weight wheel. As mentioned above, CCW and Fikse make light wheels that look stunningly good, but you're looking at spending at least $2,000+ for them.

BlackHawk T/A 05-31-2006 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Yeah, if you're not looking to run any sort of drag wheels (bigs and skinnies), then you might be looking at spending lots of money to get a lighter weight wheel. As mentioned above, CCW and Fikse make light wheels that look stunningly good, but you're looking at spending at least $2,000+ for them.

I don't even think you could do it for $2k unless they were used...

Beaflag VonRathburg 05-31-2006 10:03 PM

I was just looking on the Borbet website and I think that their classic wheel the Borbet T is pretty sweet. The only downside is the largest size they make them in is 16 x 9. They still look good especially with the deep lip.
http://www.borbet.co.uk/images/tprod.jpg

Storms of War 05-31-2006 11:03 PM

So I should just go with ZO6 wheels or something? I might as well, right? Then I can have the tires I want, and eventually upgrade to ZO6 brakes because my wheels will be big enough.

blind527 06-01-2006 12:38 AM

If you want some light ass wheels, get some Bogarts.

SJM Manufacturing Inc 06-01-2006 11:19 AM

Sounds like you're looking for road course wheels, not drag wheels. We do have road race wheels that are very very light.

Depending on the size and design, our wheel-weights are among the lightest on the market. If you looked at our RR wheels, you'd be looking at ~16-18lbs per large wheel typically used with 315/35/17 tires. Remember those tires are pretty heavy.

I can't state that our road race style wheels are the lightest on the market since there are so many cottage industries coming up with road style wheels...but I know they are among the lightest on the market. Of course they are show-quality and manufactured from only high-quality materials, you do get what you pay for.

If you need pricing, please e-mail me with your requirements so I can setup your request.

Steve

SJM Manufacturing Inc 06-01-2006 11:21 AM

page three in our wheel gallery (first row, 3rd car down...Jason) has a pretty nice shot of a set of our RR wheels on an F-body.