Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tires for the front after Nitto DRs, does it even matter?

Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires for the front after Nitto DRs, does it even matter?

Hey, Ive decided to get some Nitto DR's on some TT2's, any recommendations for what tires to get in the front? Does it even matter? I just dont know what to get, lol.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only use the Nitto road race tires up front. 275/40/17 size only. They are just as grippy as the drags but with a stiffer sidewall. Super good at braking and cornering. They will last longer the the rears and match them in looks. Your car will stick much better with them than regular street tires.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Sweet, that actually makes sense, idk why i didnt think of that before. Thanks alot.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Most folks don't know about the competition road race tires from Nitto, only the drag radials. Plus it seems most folks don't care about shorter braking distances and stuff like that, but it can save your butt.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:09 PM

Nitto makes a 555R you can use on the front Then use the 555R extreem drag radials on the back.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Nitto makes a 555R you can use on the front Then use the 555R extreem drag radials on the back.
Those are the exact same tire. I think your talking about the 555RII's for the front, those are what the other guy is talking about. Personally I would just run regular 555's up front, unless you Auto-X on the street. I also think the stock brake setup is the choke point for brakes at this point more than the tires.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run my 285 GSD3's up front. Kinda wierd as they make the lil 275's look like peas on the rear.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Trust
Those are the exact same tire. I think your talking about the 555RII's for the front, those are what the other guy is talking about. Personally I would just run regular 555's up front, unless you Auto-X on the street. I also think the stock brake setup is the choke point for brakes at this point more than the tires.
Yes, the 555RII's is what their called.

Auto-X on the street is pretty much the same thing as driving on the street. They are just good sticky tires that will make your car grip better than all the other cars on the road. Vette's included.

I tried the 275 GSD3 on the front, but found they were too soft. Even at 50 psi they felt spongy and responded slowly. I sold them locally and went back to my RII's.

Your right about the brakes. The stock pads suck. I could only lock the front tires at 45 mph with the RII's. Anything faster and the pads couldn't grip them enough. Once you put a better pad on the car you will get better braking ABOVE 45mph as well. This isn't a reflection of the tire, but of the brakes. Everyone should go out and upgrade the pads.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

"Nitto makes a 555R you can use on the front "

Just to clarify, Nitto makes 4 types of tires for our cars.

Nitto 555 - regular old street radial. I've got a set of 4 I bought in 2001 that have probably 40K on them and they STILL look new.

Nitto 555R - drag radial, you can even put 4 on all corners

Nitto 555RII - autox , road race however in my experience this tire is identical in performace at the drag strip to the 555R. I love this tire on all 4 corners, especially in autox and street driving. Expect 10K at the most out of them and be careful in the rain.

Nitto NT-01 - new tire from them, even stickier than the the 555RII but really not intended at ALL for street unless there's zero chance of rain in the forecast however they do STICK and provide a harsher ride. When I say stick I'm referring to cornering abilities, I honestly have not tried this tire at the drag strip.

My $.02.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Viper
Nitto 555RII - autox , road race however in my experience this tire is identical in performace at the drag strip to the 555R. I love this tire on all 4 corners, especially in autox and street driving. Expect 10K at the most out of them and be careful in the rain.
Just to clarify, the RII tires are incredible in the rain. Much better than any "regular" tire. It's just when the tread wears down and you have standing water on the surface that you have to slow down and use caution. That's true for any tire though.

I've run both the RII and the DR until they were smooth and they stuck like glue on a wet road. Just have to watch for the puddles.

These 2 tires are practically the same except the side wall is stiffer in the RII. I'd run them at all 4 corners as well, but I'm running a 315 in the back and they don't make the RII in 315. The DR 315 is too soft feeling and doesn't respond to input as well as the RII so I switched to the GSD3 315 in the back.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the RII up front. The regular 555 is OK if you want a tire that lasts longer, but it's not as stable at freeway and higher speeds. It has a similar looking tread pattern as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I've run both the RII and the DR until they were smooth and they stuck like glue on a wet road.
I've found that the DR's are incredible in the wet (as long as they have good tread on them). We had a huge thunderstorm a couple of months ago - the rain was coming down in sheets. I drove into a big parking lot with an inch of water on the asphalt and could barely break them loose, try as I might.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

I have issues if there is any moisture with my Nitto DR's. But they are better than other DR's for sure.
I am running BFG KDW's up front and Nitto DR's on the back with my TTII's.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Ya i think i have the regular nittos on my car now on all 4 corners. Ill be goin with the DR's out back and the 555II's up front now, thanks alot guys.

Search this Thread