Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire place screwed up my TTM's >:o<

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs down Tire place screwed up my TTM's >:o<

We just got back from vacation last night and my boyfriend still has the rest of the week off and finally has time to install the new steering rack today that I bought. While I was helping him after I got home from work I noticed a huge long gouge/scratch in one area about 5" long in the inside of the rim near the inner edge of the D/S front wheel. It's deep enough to feel so it's not a surface scratch. Upon further looking I found about 4 more areas on the rim some scratches and gouges going front edge to edge while the others circle the rim. We inspected all the other wheels and all but one have damage. I am so irrate right now!! Tomorrow we'll both be stopping in to the tire plus to complain but my problem is the P/S rack is not finished being installed so I cant show them the damage. I am sure they wont replace the wheels but the damage isnt minor in my book and I think they should replace at least 2 of them. I told them how careful to be with those wheels and the hawk ones they removed. They knew I was very picky as anyone would be with wheels that nice.

BTW I've only driven the car back home and one day to work since the damage since the p/s has been leaking so bad it almost pours out so there's no way I did any of that damage. I wish you could see it...its too dark out to take pics of it now

I'll keep everyone posted and wish me luck tomorrow morning
Old 10-19-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good lucking with getting every thing worked out. Dont know how they would scratch them that deep.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. I'm guessing that they did it when they put it on the machine or something
Old 10-19-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

I dont no about that deep. My brother use to work at National Tire and Battery and i use to be up there pretty often and i dont know what would do that on the mounting and balencing machine.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damage on the inside of the wheel?? If it was on the outisde I'd be pissed, the insides . . not that concerned. They have to hold the wheel down somehow, to get the tires on, and unfortunately the machines leave marks. My Fikse's have marks on the inside, and the wieghts are covered with chrome duct tape, and that is direct from Fikse . . . .
Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

If they used the metal grippers then it will ruin the inside of an aluminum rim. Only the plastic grippers should be used with an aluminum rim. All that it leaves is a little black residue on the inside that comes off with soap and water.
On the outside, there should be no part of the machine that touches the rim. The roller should be plastic rather than metal to avoid scratching.
If done properly, there will be absolutely no damage to the wheel inside or out. Goodyear "Gemini" service centers have the proper equipment if you would like to use them next time.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies and I will post up pics of the damage when I get home. I wouldnt mind if there were a few tiny scratches here and there but the one is a huge long dig mark with more gouges going across it in 3 places on the inside. Then along the inside edge/lip there are scuff marks all over. I am afraid now that these will rust out since its past the paint and to the base metal.

I stopped in this morning and the guy that did the work saw me and walked away to the back. The head guy was like "oh well when he put the wheel on the machine nothing touched the insides of the wheel". I said "well that kind of damage just doesnt happen by normal driving 15 miles on a road" He put his hands up in the air. I said I should have the P/S fixed by today and would come by in the morning tomorrow for them to take a look at it. He again said they machine never touched the inside of the rim and I said that I doubted a little gremlin came with a key or something and scratched the rim all the hell.

I'll try to see what equipment they use there tomorrow and then check out the Goodyear places for future work. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That **** always happens with generic wheel/tire places. I can't even tell you how many times it's happened to me with all the wheels I've had over the years. No matter what you tell the people and how many times you reiterate "BE CAREFUL WITH THEM" it's of no use. Partly b/c of the machines necessary to mount the tires and partly b/c the people couldn't give a crap whether your wheel is scratched or not. Good luck in working everything out, but in my experience with things like that, probably the very most you'll get is some free future services there.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Launching!

That sucks. I would go up there and see what they have to say.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I don't think you're gonna get anything out of this one. People can make mistakes putting tires on - they've done it to mine, but never on the outside of the rim, always the inside. You just kinda get over it eventually. It is the risk you take getting tires put on.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I'll find out this afternoon when I take it. Again I can see some damage but not to this extent. Unfortunately my tire changing machine isnt working right now They should'nt be damaging wheels. I've had many tires taken off and put on over the years and never had any damage till now. Looks like someone took a screwdriver across really hard. The damage is about the same area on all 3 rims. Also one of the lug nuts they put on is rusting.

Last edited by Flamin' bird; 10-20-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
Also one of the lug nuts they put on is rusting.
how is that their fault?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

I know exactly what you are referring to, it's from people using the wrong machine. Tires Plus already had to buy me a BRAND NEW set of Firehawk rims because they put the same marks in my originals. They used the machine that basically has this metal prongs that dig into the rim....fine if you are mounting regular steel rims but uncalled for with aluminum rims. They do have the correct machine, but didn't use it. You should get your rims replaced as I did.

They also did a bunch of damage when removing the original sticky weights with a screwdriver.

There is no reason, with the machines they have now, there should be -ANY- damage done to the rim anywhere.

Paul
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tudds
how is that their fault?
This was talked about in my other post. Sorry I didnt give the reference. I had to buy new lugs when they installed them because they McGuards didnt seat right. These are new lug nuts just two weeks old.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

If the TTMs are aluminum you won't have to worry about rust. I know it sucks but atleast it isn't on the outside.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The wheels supposedly are magnesium alloy. We took the car last night and at first they told me they didnt have time to look at it. I told them that I didnt know when I'd be able to bring the car back because it's still leaking p/s fluid and I didnt want them to say too much time had passed the next time I could stop by. The guy that installed them came out and said he'd take time to take the one wheel off now and take a look at the damage. When he got the DR side wheel off the scratches looked really bad and he even said it but said he didnt do it. He then showed us the machine he uses and how he clamped it. But if he didnt do it then how did the damage get there? He said maybe they were that way in the box and I said no they were all new and checked to be fine. Also I made a point that if they were that way from the factory and they knew they were brand new (as I told them when I dropped the car off) and you had opened the box and saw that damage wouldnt you let the customer know of it so you wouldnt get blamed and could tell the manufacterer?? If I was the installer, opened up the box and saw heavy gouges I would call the customer and say that there was some damage to the wheels and were they aware of it.

The guy then said to me "well it is on the inside so its not like you'll see it". I said "well you are right in one aspect but these were brand new wheels that I paid $800 for. Not like something used that I paid a small amount for". I also said I was concerned it may rust since its scratched past the painted surface. In the end the were nice about it and said they would take claim to it and to call or stop in Monday when the manager was there and fill out the paper work for the damage and most likely I would get a new wheel. While the 2 others have damage on them I can live with them but this one is very bad .
Old 10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up The Squeeky Wheel Gets The Grease Darlin !

Please do hold their feet to the fire & get as much as you can from em. If more people would have the ***** to raise hell when these shops screw up we would all be better off. They know that most just bend over & take their incompetence in stride & that attitude encourages them to be slack with their employees & not hire competent workers, and we all pay for it in the end. So please, go ahead and give em HELL darlin ! Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn ! ITS YOUR MONEY !
Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

I took mine to a tire shop last week to put new tires on the back and they warned me that they might scratch or gouge the rim when putting them on. Generic tire shops have trouble with lower-profile tires. I took it to someone who knew they were doing after I left and no problems.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wfo
Please do hold their feet to the fire & get as much as you can from em. If more people would have the ***** to raise hell when these shops screw up we would all be better off. They know that most just bend over & take their incompetence in stride & that attitude encourages them to be slack with their employees & not hire competent workers, and we all pay for it in the end. So please, go ahead and give em HELL darlin ! Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn ! ITS YOUR MONEY !
Easy there fella. The machines they use work well for 95% of the people who want tires/rims mounted. However, sometimes the machines will screw up a nicer wheel. This isn't a huge deal, shops do this all the time. Not because they necessarily intend to but that they'd rather just get the job done than try and figure a different way to go about it. It's also not like they screwed up the part of the rim you can see. I was upset the first time they did that to me as well, but you get used to it and realize it's not worth the hassle over time. You either take it to a place that can specially mount them with care or you take it to a cheaper place. I agree they should have taken more care with the rims but I'm not quite sure I'd pursue it to the degree of getting a new rim. Of course, like I said, over time with these recurring incidents you learn which battles are futile.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Default Tire Store Damages Expensive Wheel

Like I said, its YOUR money , fella !