Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Can I use spacers?? I need help FAST!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can I use spacers?? I need help FAST!

Hey all,

Ok so I just sold my 99 T/A and now have a 96 Z28 in place of it. The Z28 has a Wilwood brake kit on the front and the calipers are larger so I am having a problem getting my stock 16" LT1 style firebird wheels with winter tires on the car. The rear will be fine as they are the stock calipers, but the front brakes the face of the caliper rubs the inside of the wheel spokes when I am about 1/8" or less away from having the lugs tight.

My question:

Can I get a 1/8" spacer or 1/4" spacer (somewhere in that size) and just run them up front, and have the stock spacing on the rear. I know from a front view it may look a little odd with the front tire sitting out a little further, but I need to get these wheels to set out far enough so they don't rub the caliper. There is plenty of stud to get the spacer plus the wheel on so any help would be great.

Also what size do I need, I see tons of them listed on ebay that say something like or similar to this:
**Univeral Wheels Spacer 8mm x 89mm x 165mm 5 lug***
would something like that fit our vehicles, if not what dimensions do I need?

I need help ASAP and any advice on best size spacer to get, best place to get them etc...Because if it snows here in the next week I need to have the snow tires on so I can get around.

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

You need a 17" wheel or larger to fit over the brakes. so new wheels
Old 01-06-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Well I ordered 5/16" spacers at O'Rielys auto parts tonight. The catalog said it fits 4 1/2"-5" center to center of stud 5 stud vehicles so hopefully I ordered the right ones and they fit, if not they said I can return/exchange them.

I paid $17.99 for the set and I guess they will be shipped here by monday afternoon.

If anyone has any info or insight before then let me know

Thanks guys!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by White 96LT1
You need a 17" wheel or larger to fit over the brakes. so new wheels
No, the 16's fit over the brakes just fine, its inside of the wheel that mounts to the hub, that hits the front side of the caliper.

I attached a picture of a wheel (not the wheel I am using, this is just for an example) to explain what I mean...

The white arrow shows the spoke of the wheel, Now the BACK of the spoke on the inside of the wheel is rubbing on the face of the caliper where the red arrow is pointing.

The wheel fitting over the rotor/caliper itself is no problem.

I hope this makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails Can I use spacers?? I need help FAST!-wheel.jpg