Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Prostar tire balancing-

Old 04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Prostar tire balancing-

I tried to balance my new tires on my new prostars today using our "latest and greatest hi-tech" machine at work today and I couldn't get them to balance out right. No matter how I set them up they always seem to wobble. A couple of the older techs said that even if I do get them to sit strait the center section being loosing will probably throw off the readings and suggested I find someone with an old school "bubble balancer".

Did you have any trouble getting yours to balance and if so what did you do?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

try moving the tire 180 degrees. sometimes that takes care of the problem. ive never really had any problems balancing welds with the loose center sections. the cones on the balance should hold the loose center section in place without it moving around
Old 05-23-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bringing this back from the dead because I just got my lugnuts in and I still have not been able to get these wheels balanced. No offince to the guy above me but I don't think it was done correctly if you used a cone. Cones are for hub centric wheels. If you did use a cone did you try taking them off and remounting them to the balancer to see if you came up with different results? If you did and you got the same reading every time then maybe the taper of the cones you had are different than the ones I have at work...I did try cones but you could see the wheel wobbling on the balancer.

I tried to use our Hunter GSP9700 at work to do mine but the "fingers" for the lug centric mounting adaptor were all to big to fit in the lug holes of the prostars. I've looked through the accessories catalog we have for it at work and we have every adaptor made for it.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Back TTT
Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

It might be the spacer that gets sandwiched together when the wheel is torqued down that's throwing it off. You have to put a good bit of torque on the wheel to squeeze the centers enough to clamp the down on the spacer. You can feel it moving around inside the wheel centers with the wheel off the car.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

i asked the same question a while ago and got the same answers, i dont know how the hell these things can balance out with that insert wobbling around inside

Search this Thread