Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Jegs Pro Stars or Drag Lites skinnies

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jegs Pro Stars or Drag Lites skinnies

okay so i'm kinda undecided rite now. anybody have pics of a sunset orange trans am with either or even anybody but mostly sunset orange cuz i wanna see wat it looks like cuz thats the color of my T/A.

help me out guys i appreciate it
Old 04-16-2007, 10:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use any take-off "drag" wheel which in reality is not a drag wheel.

Unless you're only doing this to look like you drag race, then it's ok. I wouldn' t consider them as any alternative as a drag racing wheel. They are very heavy and not worth it in my opinion. They are not too far off in weight from the stock wheels. I'd imagine this is why the weld XP wheels were removed from production...just too damn heavy.

If you want an economy wheel, choose the draglite or prostar setup. If you want a wheel that in essence is like removing another 50lbs of converted static weight (over a prostar/draglite combo) and want a wheel that fits perfect, then our Bogart wheels are your best choice. They will cost you slightly more, but you get what you pay for.

If you you want a wheel that has show-quality characteristics, once again, our wheels are best to consider. Wheels make the car and is probably the most noticable modification you can make...not really an area to skimp on in my opinion.

Rotational weight/unsprung weight should never be overlooked. It will effect handling, braking as well as overall performance. It has a much greater affect on performance pound for pound vs. static weight.

Good luck with your choices.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the draglite on the TA. The take-off "drag" wheels might be heavier, but they hold up better for occational street driving and when you have tires mounted.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:11 AM
FormerVendor

JBM, I do see you're point. But I disagree with the reasoning of using the take-off wheels. Those wheels are cheap imitation wheels far apart from the real thing... If the only consideration is an economy wheel, stick with a weld prostar/draglite combo.

There is little to gain from a heavy wheel that only looks like a drag wheel while giving you you terrible handling characteristics and does esentially nothing for performance. Like mentioned, if you only want it to look like a drag car, then by all means, pick them up. I wouldn' t consider them for any other reason.

One primary reason for going to a drag setup is to remove rotational mass/unsprung weight. When you have a wheel that weighs almost the same as the stock setup and ruins handling, why bother?

If you want a wheel that holds up well for the street, use a street wheel. At least handling and general street driving is not hampered.

Just my .02
Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Launching!

but welds you can DD
bogarts are not recommended

i seen pics/accidents
Old 04-17-2007, 02:05 AM
9 Second Club

Bogarts are awesome and I plan to get some someday for race only but if your going to drive them on the street then go with the ProStars.They are still lighter than your stock wheels.Ive seen to many pictures like this for me to buy bogarts for the street.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Second Club

Weld's Prostar's or Draglite's are far lighter than the stock wheels especially when used with a slick! I've driven on a set of draglite's for years without any problems at all. What is the weight difference between a Weld wheel and a comparable Bogart wheel?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

ProStars have always looked good on T/A's IMO
Old 04-17-2007, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DisturbingDaPeaze
but welds you can DD
bogarts are not recommended

i seen pics/accidents
No drag wheel should be daily driven. Weld included. I'm not sure where folks get the information that weld wheels are ok for DD or street use...for anyone who hase them can plainly see they state in bold writing on the wheel "for drag use only". They also state (which you'll see in bold writing "not for use in road, sports, solo, or autocross racing"). This is also listed in about every publication or vendor who re-sells them.

A drag wheel is built and intended for drag racing.

Regarding damages, I believe in aprox. 9 years, for every F-body car they have been built for, I can still count on one hand how many have ever been damaged. This is not to state our wheels can't fail...they are built for drag racing.

We've got F-body members who also have had their weld prostars fail as well...when someone uses a wheel for a use it is not intended for, there are risks involved.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Funny, my co-worker has the prostars on his 9 second 67 camaro, and stamped right on the wheel is "legal for street use." I was admiring the huge meat he had mounted on his prostars, and I picked one up, and almost fainted. I could pick up his huge @ss tire and rim with my pinky finger. One of my ZO6 rims and tire ways more than BOTH of his rear slicks and tires! I was seriously lookin into buying a set for street use, but after reading this thread I am having my doubts...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FirebirdStud
Funny, my co-worker has the prostars on his 9 second 67 camaro, and stamped right on the wheel is "legal for street use." I was admiring the huge meat he had mounted on his prostars, and I picked one up, and almost fainted. I could pick up his huge @ss tire and rim with my pinky finger. One of my ZO6 rims and tire ways more than BOTH of his rear slicks and tires! I was seriously lookin into buying a set for street use, but after reading this thread I am having my doubts...
Are you sure we are talking about the same prostars? My tire + rim weighs about 45lbs... lol

It says not legal for street use on my fronts, nothing on the back.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Are you sure we are talking about the same prostars? My tire + rim weighs about 45lbs... lol

It says not legal for street use on my fronts, nothing on the back.
I am talking about the weld brand prostars... and he had a slick mounted on it. Slicks are way lighter than street tires.
And yeah, stamped on the inside of his rear rim said legal for street use.

I didn't think they would be recomended for the street... one pothole and you are left with a bent @ss rim...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Not really funny...You may have a false sense of security. DOT legal represented on the rear of a prostar does not mean its ok for a daily driven car. Weld drag wheels are "not for use in road, sports, solo, or autocross racing". They state this themselves. Call them and ask if you don' t believe me.

Take one of their Prostar/Draglite wheels, tell them when you broke it during gingerly street driving and you'd like it repaired. They will tell you that you shouldn't have used it on the street and it won' t be repaired.

To give you another example since you may be confused with wording, a MT ET Street tire is DOT approved but is "not for use on highways". DOT does not give authority for daily driving.

The front runner should be of biggest concern taking most of the stress from the car...weld vividly etches "for drag use only" on the wheel. If weld drag wheels were good for street use or daily driving, they would be using it as a promotional slogan.

Regarding weights, the prostar is light, but there are wheels MUCH lighter if your looking for best gains. Take welds high-end wheels...a prostar/draglite doesn't hold a candle up to their high-ended wheels. Same goes with our Bogart wheels, ours are about 30% lighter then a Prostar/Draglite combo!!! So if you can lift your friends wheel up with a pinky, just think how much lighter high-end wheels can yield for you.

In the end, you guys can argue street usage, but a drag wheel is meant for drag racing and not street daily driven use. Stated again, if you insist on using them on the street, there are going to be risks involved since you're using them against what all drag wheel manufactures recommends.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

anybody have any pics of a sunset orange trans am with weld wheels??
Old 04-17-2007, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

sjm: dont you have an issue ongoing in the sponser feedback section with a bogart not bring "true"?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

SJM, thanks for clearing that up. Seriously, Im not being sarcastic. I guess I had a lot of wrong impressions... so now I know. I wont be plannin on driving those prostars on the street now!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not welds.. but you get the picture.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Firebird, that's ok. Many people believe think drag wheels are ok for daily driving. Havok, I have no way of knowing there was a post unless someone pointed them out. I'd be here all day if i searched through all the forum sections on all boards...lol. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I'll have to take a look.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 PM
liqour enthusiest

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Not really funny...You may have a false sense of security. DOT legal represented on the rear of a prostar does not mean its ok for a daily driven car. Weld drag wheels are "not for use in road, sports, solo, or autocross racing". They state this themselves. Call them and ask if you don' t believe me.

Take one of their Prostar/Draglite wheels, tell them when you broke it during gingerly street driving and you'd like it repaired. They will tell you that you shouldn't have used it on the street and it won' t be repaired.

To give you another example since you may be confused with wording, a MT ET Street tire is DOT approved but is "not for use on highways". DOT does not give authority for daily driving.

The front runner should be of biggest concern taking most of the stress from the car...weld vividly etches "for drag use only" on the wheel. If weld drag wheels were good for street use or daily driving, they would be using it as a promotional slogan.

Regarding weights, the prostar is light, but there are wheels MUCH lighter if your looking for best gains. Take welds high-end wheels...a prostar/draglite doesn't hold a candle up to their high-ended wheels. Same goes with our Bogart wheels, ours are about 30% lighter then a Prostar/Draglite combo!!! So if you can lift your friends wheel up with a pinky, just think how much lighter high-end wheels can yield for you.

In the end, you guys can argue street usage, but a drag wheel is meant for drag racing and not street daily driven use. Stated again, if you insist on using them on the street, there are going to be risks involved since you're using them against what all drag wheel manufactures recommends.
i daily drove on my prostars all last summer. the rears even said street legal on them. they held up better than bogarts. i know someone who went through 3 d-10s that summer. im not trying to bash bogart or anything. they are awesome wheels. but they are drag wheels. my prostars held up fine but i avoided a lot of large bumps and potholes. they bend easily too in the front but i shouldnt have been drivin on skinnies.

Quick Reply: Jegs Pro Stars or Drag Lites skinnies