Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Who's running 15x10 Pro Stars 6.5 BS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who's running 15x10 Pro Stars 6.5 BS???

I've been searching for the last hour and didn't find much. I want to run Pro Stars at the track, but I really don't want to run longer studs because my street wheels are Fikse FM5's. A while back I thought I saw a thread about making 6.5 BS 15x10's fit with pics, but I'll be damned if I can find it. HELP!!!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too small of a backspace...no matter what late model F-body you have. Consider the 7.5's only. You'll need 3" min studs and spacers if you want to run the Prostars (and still grind). It doesn't matter which BS you consider...the Prostar wheel center is VERY thick...adding spacers makes it even worse!

You've got very nice street wheels and didn't spare expense. ...why consider getting inexpensive wheels that don't hold a candle up to our wheels regarding appearance. ...our Bogarts are show-quality and about 30% lighter! Resale is also fantasic with our products so it is also a very wise investment.

Good luck with your choices.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

I know Bogarts are the ****, but I have a hard time justifying spending that kind of cash for a car that only hits the track maybe a half a dozen times per season. I don't have a drag car, I have a street car that sees occasional track use.
Steve, has there ever been serious consideration put into a Bogart street/strip wheel that is a little more competitively priced? Something more in line with a Pro Star as far as fit/finish/weight/price but improved with the standard Bogart fitment? I honestly don't understand why someone has not addressed that void in the market; a reasonably priced (read: what people with every other american performance car pays) street/strip 15" wheel that ACTUALLY FITS late model f-bodies would sell extremely well. While there is a large (and ever growing) number of seriously bad *** LS1's out there, there are far more owners like me, who spend far more time on the street than the track and aren't going to spend whatever it takes to get every last tenth out of their cars, because they ARE street cars and mods/parts for drag vs. street are always a compromise.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

they made them for a while they were called the pro star XP and came in 16" sizes which didn't require spacers or caliper grinding....and sales TANKED and they were discontinued.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, I know about the XP's. They were doomed from the start; 16" and 17" wheels that aren't ANY lighter than the factory offerings don't make a great drag wheel. Years ago, before I picked up my car, I thought I saw the XP's in Jeg's in 15" sizes, but you never see them. Even though they're not light, if I could find a pair of 15x10 Pro Star XP's (that actually fit) I'd probably buy them.
Right now the newest f-bodies are 5 years old, with a platform that was produced for 10 model years. Yes, you tend to pay through the nose for speed parts for a new vehicle, but these vehicles aren't exactly new to the market--the first LS1 f-body is 9 years old. I guess I'm just frustrated--look at other platforms and look at what's available for them and for what price. I guess the area of reasonably priced street/strip wheels for the LS1 f-body is something that the aftermarket is going to avoid.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98 Silver SS
I know Bogarts are the ****, but I have a hard time justifying spending that kind of cash for a car that only hits the track maybe a half a dozen times per season. I don't have a drag car, I have a street car that sees occasional track use.
Steve, has there ever been serious consideration put into a Bogart street/strip wheel that is a little more competitively priced? Something more in line with a Pro Star as far as fit/finish/weight/price but improved with the standard Bogart fitment? I honestly don't understand why someone has not addressed that void in the market; a reasonably priced (read: what people with every other american performance car pays) street/strip 15" wheel that ACTUALLY FITS late model f-bodies would sell extremely well. While there is a large (and ever growing) number of seriously bad *** LS1's out there, there are far more owners like me, who spend far more time on the street than the track and aren't going to spend whatever it takes to get every last tenth out of their cars, because they ARE street cars and mods/parts for drag vs. street are always a compromise.
I can build custom setups that are in-between RR and drag racing...but asking to design custom wheels specifically addressing the F-body AND being an economy design just can't happen.

There really isn't any void in the market at all. If you want an economy style wheel, choose a weld wheel i.e. prostar that they build as a one size fits most (well not really). Building a one-size fits most wheel IS the best way to come in at a low competitive price. You just have to take the good with the bad, this is why it's considered an economy wheel.

Material costs as well as other areas doesn't lend to wheels being a very inexpensive modification. Centerline who used to be right in line with weld now is ~300/wheel which is now just about getting to our prices even though ours are custom designed and theirs still isn't. So if you consider it in that respect, for receiving a custom design, we are actually very reasonably priced. I suspect weld will be increasing their costs for their economy wheels as well closer to the centerline prices.

Bottom line, if you want performance among other benefits, then there typically are higher costs involved. You could put a set of summit/jegs prostar copy wheels BUT now you're essentially replacing a set of wheels that are almost the weight of your stock wheels...so what are you gaining....you're loosing quite a bit of steering control, handling will suffer, braking distances will be increased for the worse and performance gains really aren't there.

...so you've saved a bunch of money, but about the only thing you've gained is a car that "lookes" like a race car but doesn't have any of the benefits and reasons behind putting a race wheel on the car.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 04-22-2007 at 08:57 PM.