LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Wheels & Tires (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires-17/)
-   -   need a tire for drag racing only (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/720182-need-tire-drag-racing-only.html)

LSGunZ28 05-24-2007 04:48 PM

need a tire for drag racing only

My car is a Bolt-on M6 2002 Z28. I have 3.73s and a 12 bolt as well.

In order:

Its a DD
Drag race it on average 10 passes per month
road race it on average 3 times a year.

these tires will be for my drag racing tires only!

I have a suspension, that is setup mainly for road racing and an Aluminum flywheel.

I have been launching my M/T et street radials @ 18 psi @ 5500+RPMs and they hook sometimes, sometimes bog, sometimes spin. depending on track prep.

But I need a tire that will be strictly for drag racing.
I am listing the reasons for this:

I made 3 passes last week at Irwindale and 23 passes yesterday at Palmdale on my E/T streets and I have worn a brand new, one week old tire. all the way down already. SO Im looking for a tire that will last longer than this.

My friend has a SVT lightning and has Hoosier slicks. and they laster maybe a good 70+ passes if not more. I need a tire that will last long and allow me to cut a very good 60'. So I was thinking maybe I should go with a slick? or no?

what are M6 guys here running for drag tires. This will not be on my DD rims, they will be a separate set or rims and separate tires that will be used at the dragstrip only.

#1 what rim to go with your recommended tire? like american eagle alloys and slicks?

#2 if the answer is slicks, then what kind of slicks and how tall? My M/Ts were p255/50 16s.

Just to throw something out there:

15 inch rims with a 26" hoosier slick? or something?
also what about skinnies?
and how much do tires like this cost?

thanks.

LSGunZ28 05-26-2007 12:10 AM

Help!!

LSGunZ28 05-29-2007 12:14 PM

Bump!!!!!!!!

question 05-29-2007 01:01 PM

Are you on the stock 10 bolt?

CAMAROZ28SS 05-29-2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by question
Are you on the stock 10 bolt?

read the first sentence he put

My car is a Bolt-on M6 2002 Z28. I have 3.73s and a 12 bolt as well.

LSGunZ28 05-29-2007 04:09 PM

and....?

LSGunZ28 05-30-2007 02:07 AM

I really need to know. I appreciate the replys, but none of them were helpful at all?

15s or 16s?

slicks? or no?

Its for drag use only, these are only gonna be put on @ the dragstrip and taken off at the end of the night.

also what skinnys? or are they not worth it?

michaelg589 05-30-2007 01:53 PM

I would say go for the M/T ET street . not the radial but the bias-ply tire. I myslef have no expeirence with them, but a friend of mine with a 485rwhp 07 mustang used them and said they were great at the strip but on the street they were terrible. he pulled a 1.63 60ft. I think. so if youre looking for just a drag race tire, go for that one IMO.

Stang's Bane 05-30-2007 02:11 PM

Go with a 26" MT or Hoosier slick and a equivalant front runner(skinny). rears are ~$150-$160 and the fronts should be cheaper. Summitt and Jegs have anything you can possibly think of for this purpose.

LSGunZ28 05-30-2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by michaelg589
I would say go for the M/T ET street . not the radial but the bias-ply tire. I myslef have no expeirence with them, but a friend of mine with a 485rwhp 07 mustang used them and said they were great at the strip but on the street they were terrible. he pulled a 1.63 60ft. I think. so if youre looking for just a drag race tire, go for that one IMO.

yeah because I have the ET street radials and killed em in 23 passes.

Also I need to know what gears he has, pulling that kind of 60'

Thanks.

LSGunZ28 05-30-2007 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Go with a 26" MT or Hoosier slick and a equivalant front runner(skinny). rears are ~$150-$160 and the fronts should be cheaper. Summitt and Jegs have anything you can possibly think of for this purpose.

Thanks but I wanna know if I shoulk run a 15" or 16" rim for a 26" slick.

also what experience do you have with them, thanks.

michaelg589 05-31-2007 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
yeah because I have the ET street radials and killed em in 23 passes.

Also I need to know what gears he has, pulling that kind of 60'

Thanks.

3.90 rear with a Detroit locker

LSGunZ28 05-31-2007 04:57 PM

1.630 60' isnt that impressive for his horsepower and gearing. I could cut that on the M/T et street radials if I had 3.90s

I already cut a 1.7 60' on them and that was bogging.

That said, I will consider the tires still. IF and only if you can provide me with evidence that the ET street drags are much longer lasting than the radials. If the radials lasted me 23 passes the ET streets better last over double that.

and no I didnt do a huge burnout.

thanks..

carado1984 05-31-2007 07:01 PM

i dont know why yours only lasted that long but i believe the streets and street radials are the same compound but the drag is softer so i wouldnt expect more passes.. that being said.. the life of your streets seems really really short.

billybadd 05-31-2007 07:20 PM

I use 26/11.5/15 ET streets and love them.

Beaflag VonRathburg 05-31-2007 11:31 PM

If it's just for drag racing get some 15x10 wheels and put a 26x10.5 Mickey Thompson et drag on. Then get some skinnies and run Mickey Thompson et fronts. Seeing as how you're a m6 get the soft sidewall ones. They'll help with hooking and your 60ft.

EDIT: 1,100th post

waterbug1999 05-31-2007 11:40 PM

I would say go with a 15" rim, but be careful as I know some rims wont fit without grinding the calipers a little... As mentioned above, slap a 26" MT slick on there and call it a day.

FYI, my little MT ET radials 255/50/16 on a stock TA rim is 1.5X 60' all day on motor and 1.45 60' on the spray.. But, you are right, mine are getting kind of low on rubber after about ~12 pass's.

Fixing to get the 15" bogarts and some 26" slicks after these wear out.

Almostryan3 06-01-2007 01:49 AM

M/T E/T streets, 26x11.5x16 mounted on the stock snow flakes :)

LSGunZ28 06-01-2007 01:59 AM

No, Im getting separate tires for the Slicks/drag radials. the snowflakes will have Nittos once again for all around use

also why are all but a few only recommenging slicks. everyone is saying M/t drag radials. why not slicks? dont slicks last longer? generally and are able to cut a better 60'?

LSGunZ28 06-01-2007 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by carado1984
i dont know why yours only lasted that long but i believe the streets and street radials are the same compound but the drag is softer so i wouldnt expect more passes.. that being said.. the life of your streets seems really really short.

maybe the guy who sold em to me, cheated me and sole me used ones?

No actually they had the original sticker on em.

I dunno why they lasted so llittle, the Nittos even lasted longer.

and if the ET street radials have the same compound as the streets, then I wouldnt go with the streets. Unless likewise slicks also last as little.

Stangkilr 06-01-2007 02:11 AM

Yup, 26's with your setup would be perfect.

LSGunZ28 06-01-2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
Yup, 26's with your setup would be perfect.

I just wanna know why M/Ts are being preferred over slicks by most people.

Beaflag VonRathburg 06-01-2007 05:11 PM

I just wanna know why M/Ts are being preferred over slicks by most people.

They don't know what they're talking about. A slick will outperform any drag radial on the track.

LSGunZ28 06-01-2007 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
They don't know what they're talking about. A slick will outperform any drag radial on the track.

serious? what kind of track times do you have?

Beaflag VonRathburg 06-02-2007 12:01 AM

serious? what kind of track times do you have?

My track times don't matter. Call mickey thompson and ask them what will perform better on a drag strip, a radial tire or a bias ply slick. I guarantee you they will answer that their ET drag will out perform their ET street radial.

Customer Service & Tech
Phone (330) 928 - 9092 Ext. 2

these tires will be for my drag racing tires only!

I need a tire that will be strictly for drag racing.

They will be a separate set or rims and separate tires that will be used at the dragstrip only.

HINT HINT: Try the drag racing tech section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech-34/

LSGunZ28 06-02-2007 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
My track times don't matter. Call mickey thompson and ask them what will perform better on a drag strip, a radial tire or a bias ply slick. I guarantee you they will answer that their ET drag will out perform their ET street radial.

Customer Service & Tech
Phone (330) 928 - 9092 Ext. 2

HINT HINT: Try the drag racing tech section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

yes. But I was referring to slicks vs ET streets

not slicks vs ET street radials..

Bias ply slick vs bias ply St street?

Im thinkin slick.

SJM Manufacturing Inc 06-02-2007 12:28 AM

We can help you with your wheels.

My suggestion is if you are not certain what to choose, the best option is to purchase different tires each time you need new ones...this way you can calculate through trial and error which setup you prefer. Different tracks, different users...too many variable to state one tire is better then another. You already have an opinion of one style tire...there are only a few left.

Regarding wear, none will last long. Look at it this way, you're probably spending more on gas...tires are consumables as well. If you choose tires that last long, they probably won't have the traction.

Beaflag VonRathburg 06-02-2007 01:00 AM

yes. But I was referring to slicks vs ET streets

not slicks vs ET street radials..

Bias ply slick vs bias ply St street?

Im thinkin slick.

Ahh, understood. The ET Drag is the hands down best tire Mickey Thompson makes. Just think of it this way. Et streets are street legal, that meens they have to conform to department of transportation specifications. That limits what compounds they are made of, tread wear, and tread pattern. ET drags on the other hand are not. They are meant for the strip only and not limited. They are built for maximum performance. The best thing you could do is call someone at Mickey Thompson or Steve at SJM to help you out.

LSGunZ28 06-02-2007 04:07 AM

Okay, so tell me this.

Will the stickier the tire get, the less it will last? or do they make slicks that can last longer? why not? they can add more layers of slick to last longer? no?

Also All Im saying is my M/Ts were at the limit after 23 passes. which had decent burnouts, but nothing too excessive. So I just want a tire that can perform as good, hopefully better, but last longer.

this doesnt exist?

SJM Manufacturing Inc 06-02-2007 11:36 PM

I don't think you'll find a tire that will fit your requirements (if longevity is your main objective).

Try different tires, they really aren't too expensive.

For the record, just because a tire is DOT approved, does not mean it is ok to use on the street for normal street use. This goes for any drag wheel which states this also. They (all drag wheels and ET streets included) are not for highway use.

Stang's Bane 06-06-2007 05:11 PM

If you did 23 passes in one day no wonder your tires died. They will store up heat and after the first pass all you need to do is clean them off. If you did a burnout each time, you were just slinging rubber.
Just my opinion.

LSGunZ28 06-07-2007 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
I don't think you'll find a tire that will fit your requirements (if longevity is your main objective).

Try different tires, they really aren't too expensive.

For the record, just because a tire is DOT approved, does not mean it is ok to use on the street for normal street use. This goes for any drag wheel which states this also. They (all drag wheels and ET streets included) are not for highway use.

Okay so are 15" american eagle rims and 26" Hoosier slicks good for a M6 with aluminum flywhel to drag race? also how wide should the slicks be? I also have 3.73s 12 bolt moser and all boltons ( no head n cam yet, but in near future) 2002 Z28

edit: spelling

LSGunZ28 06-07-2007 03:28 PM

If you did 23 passes in one day no wonder your tires died. They will store up heat and after the first pass all you need to do is clean them off. If you did a burnout each time, you were just slinging rubber.
Just my opinion.

Okay I didnt know that. Thanks for telling me now.

INMY01TA 06-08-2007 01:58 AM

I've got maybe 25ish passes on my 26' ET Streets. They look like they still got a long way to go on them.

Stang's Bane 06-08-2007 11:09 AM

Okay so are 15" american eagle rims and 26" Hoosier slicks good for a M6 with aluminum flywhel to drag race? also how wide should the slicks be? I also have 3.73s 12 bolt moser and all boltons ( no head n cam yet, but in near future) 2002 Z28

edit: spelling

If you have the $$$. the best thing to do would be to call Steve at SJM and get a set of Bogarts. Then get the 26x11.5 MT drags and whatever front runner they (MT) make. You will drop a huge amount of unsprung weight and your times will improve. If you don't have the $$ for the Bogarts, the next choice would be Weld Prostars/Draglites. You will have to do some grinding, but that is the facts.

As far as slicks that last longer, it would defeat the purpose of racing tires. If you go with a harder compound, traction will suffer. If you wanted "more" rubber, the weight would go up and that would hurt times. Slicks, drag radials, ET streets are not made to last a long time, they are made to stick.In order to stick they must have a soft compound, by default that increases treadwear.

Have to pay to play!! :jest: Good luck!!

LSGunZ28 06-10-2007 01:55 AM

If you have the $$$. the best thing to do would be to call Steve at SJM and get a set of Bogarts. Then get the 26x11.5 MT drags and whatever front runner they (MT) make. You will drop a huge amount of unsprung weight and your times will improve. If you don't have the $$ for the Bogarts, the next choice would be Weld Prostars/Draglites. You will have to do some grinding, but that is the facts.

As far as slicks that last longer, it would defeat the purpose of racing tires. If you go with a harder compound, traction will suffer. If you wanted "more" rubber, the weight would go up and that would hurt times. Slicks, drag radials, ET streets are not made to last a long time, they are made to stick.In order to stick they must have a soft compound, by default that increases treadwear.

Have to pay to play!! :jest: Good luck!!

Okay, thanks. and Im sure what you are saying is right.

Im just wondering how 23 passes killed a harder compound tire, than my friend with well over 70+ passes.

equal burnouts.

Just wondering..

Now, that beside the point, how many passes do slicks last you guys?

LSGunZ28 06-10-2007 01:58 AM

Im buying rims from my friend, because he owns a tire shop and can get me a good deal. are bogarts my only choice for quality?

also my friends slicks (eagle alloy, american eagle, or some brand like that) were aluminum and pretty light and he had hoosier slicks.

for 15" rims, how wide should I get and Ill be going with a 26" tire.

LSGunZ28 06-11-2007 12:32 PM

..and??

SJM Manufacturing Inc 06-11-2007 04:51 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the weights of the wheels you're insterested in...we are not the only manufacture that makes high-end quality wheels. Welds high-end wheels are also very nice. Most of the other companies do not build wheels to fit the application though...so you're going to get a wheel that may be considered 'one size fits most' where "most" don't actually fit.

Ours are VERY light. A typical 15x10 LS1 Bogart rear wheel for example will be ~10-11lbs. A weld similar sized wheel will end up being 15-16lbs especially if you are adding spacers...

I believe most of the wheels your talking about are actually pretty heavy. I wouldn't be surprized if they are close to the stock weight...I don't know for certain as there are so many different brands within those wheels. If you're unsure, as long as your friend takes them back if you don't like them, then no harm no foul...especially if he's getting you a good deal on them.

You can do a search...there's quite a bit of discussion on different setups.

Good luck.

LSGunZ28 06-11-2007 05:33 PM

I'm unfamiliar with the weights of the wheels you're insterested in...we are not the only manufacture that makes high-end quality wheels. Welds high-end wheels are also very nice. Most of the other companies do not build wheels to fit the application though...so you're going to get a wheel that may be considered 'one size fits most' where "most" don't actually fit.

Ours are VERY light. A typical 15x10 LS1 Bogart rear wheel for example will be ~10-11lbs. A weld similar sized wheel will end up being 15-16lbs especially if you are adding spacers...

I believe most of the wheels your talking about are actually pretty heavy. I wouldn't be surprized if they are close to the stock weight...I don't know for certain as there are so many different brands within those wheels. If you're unsure, as long as your friend takes them back if you don't like them, then no harm no foul...especially if he's getting you a good deal on them.

You can do a search...there's quite a bit of discussion on different setups.

Good luck.

Id like to save weight as much as possible. thats why I kept my Z28 snowflake rims...

how much are rear bogarts for a F body. and should I run LS1 15" X 10 and 26" slick? would that be good for low 300 WHP? and how about low 400 WHP both with 3.73s

Thanks, I just wanna know more info.

I wanna get a good 60' way better than 1.78, which was my best with M/Ts

SJM Manufacturing Inc 06-11-2007 06:07 PM

The stock wheels are sooo heavy.

Don't leave your large front wheels and use bias ply tires...your handling will be scary on the track. If you want the best gains, choose the lightest wheel possible...

Wheels will be between 800-1000.00 for rears only...but do NOT run just rear wheels. Call me if you need more assistance and I will be glad to work everything out for you. I don' t like to setup folks cars on the internet as each persons needs are different and quoting one persons setup may not work for someone else...this can get some folks confused as what really they shoudl be using to reach their goals.

Many guys see up to .2 second from changing to our drag wheels.

Stang's Bane 06-12-2007 07:15 AM

Id like to save weight as much as possible. thats why I kept my Z28 snowflake rims...

how much are rear bogarts for a F body. and should I run LS1 15" X 10 and 26" slick? would that be good for low 300 WHP? and how about low 400 WHP both with 3.73s

Thanks, I just wanna know more info.

I wanna get a good 60' way better than 1.78, which was my best with M/Ts

A good 60' is more than just a good tire. You suspension has a ton to do with it.
The 15x10 will be the last drag wheel you will need at least until you see single digits..

LSGunZ28 06-12-2007 02:02 PM

Don't leave your large front wheels and use bias ply tires...your handling will be scary on the track. If you want the best gains, choose the lightest wheel possible...

Wheels will be between 800-1000.00 for rears only...but do NOT run just rear wheels. Call me if you need more assistance and I will be glad to work everything out for you. I don' t like to setup folks cars on the internet as each persons needs are different and quoting one persons setup may not work for someone else...this can get some folks confused as what really they shoudl be using to reach their goals.

Ok, Im calling, its busy :(

LSGunZ28 06-12-2007 02:06 PM

A good 60' is more than just a good tire. You suspension has a ton to do with it.
The 15x10 will be the last drag wheel you will need at least until you see single digits..

how is a road racing suspension restricting me so much from getting good times?

should I disconnect my front swaybar at the dragstrip, or no? is it really worth it?

blueeyeddevil141 06-12-2007 02:15 PM

15" rim, Hoosier slicks, 3.5" front wheel with a like 165 tire.

LSGunZ28 06-12-2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141
15" rim, Hoosier slicks, 3.5" front wheel with a like 165 tire.

how wide rear? that should fit stock?

and would i need to shave calipers for skinnys?

LSGunZ28 06-20-2007 01:36 AM

OK Im gonna probably call SJM tomm.

LSGunZ28 06-22-2007 04:07 AM

I need to order from you ASAP

1FSTLS1 06-22-2007 09:01 AM

I see lots of mention to a 26" tire. Can you fit a 28x10x15 under the stock F-body without it rubbing? I am trying to figure out what to get myself.

LSGunZ28 06-22-2007 05:08 PM

OK so I ordered the Bogarts I have 15X4 front and 15X9.75 rears, I just hope they are wide enough for when I get in the 10s or even lower.. if not maybe I should have went with 10.5s?

I plan on running full slicks on them 26X 10 or 10.5s

Asmodeus 06-23-2007 02:16 AM

What's the build time on the Bogarts? Is it still 4-6 weeks?