Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need Advice! Reviews Included!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice! Reviews Included!

I'm looking to buy 4 new 275/40/ZR17 tires. I've narrowed my choices down to these 4. However, I also have the option to get a set of Toyo Proxes 4 for about $140 a tire.

I've never heard of these General UHP tires before, but their reviews and price sure do look good. What would you all recommend out of these four choices, or would you recommend the Toyo's. Are they really that much better? I can't find their reviews on TireRack, and I can't find their prices in that size elsewhere. The reviews on other sites seem to make the Proxes 4 out to be a great tire, but I haven't read any reviews in my size, or seen their list price.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Both of the Kumhos I have heard good things about. I had the Sumitumos for a while and like them, especially for the price. Don't know anything about the Generals
Old 06-14-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ezekielta
Both of the Kumhos I have heard good things about.
I'm diggin those ASX's just for the 30,000m tread life warranty.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

as soon as you tell them what they were mounted on it will be hard to get them to stick to the warranty. Just my thoughts
Old 06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

THose treadlife warranties don't mean squat. They prorate it and you would be lucky to ever get any money. I'd steer clear of the Kumho's and really all those tires and save for a better tire like Goodyear or my favorite, BFG's. I got 45K out of my BFG tires and was very happy with the overall performance. Cheap tires are just that - cheap.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

^ you really do get what you pay for in tires, i'd also suggest waiting and getting something a little nicer
Old 06-14-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the Toyo Proxes 4 I mentioned. Aren't those quality tires? And if the rest of those tires are such crap, why are they getting such good reviews?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kumhos are good budget minded tires, last fairly well, sumitomos are ehh, and the genrerals u will want to ship them up the guys *** after you buy them, try discounttiredirect.com for some more prices, i found yokohamas for like 126 a piece. but you will be pretty happy with the proxes.... if budget doenst matter, id go with BFG's or some michelins or something....
Old 06-14-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DYING BREED
kumhos are good budget minded tires, last fairly well, sumitomos are ehh, and the genrerals u will want to ship them up the guys *** after you buy them, try discounttiredirect.com for some more prices, i found yokohamas for like 126 a piece. but you will be pretty happy with the proxes.... if budget doenst matter, id go with BFG's or some michelins or something....
Budget does matter. I've been looking at BFG KDW's (like everybody else is), but I'm not quite ready to spend $700 on tires, especially if I can get a relatively comperable tire for less (The Toyo).
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Then buy the cheaper ones already. Just don't expect the grip, ride, & wear of the more expensive tires.