Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help! What's happening to the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! What's happening to the wheel?

Just washed my car/wheels last Saturday and noticed at the base of each spoke is what looks like corrosion underneath the chrome. This car has never seen snow or any salt of any kind. It's always garaged and had been all week. It's in NW Florida, weather been high 80s-90s and 60-90% humidity. I just looked at them and there's a yellow dust and what looks like Armor-All smear. The wheels are 5 years old and cleaned with soap and water and hand dried w/towel.

I'm sure I'm screwed and gotta drop $1500-2000 to replace; any ideas what the hell is going on?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2769986 (bottom right are wheel pics)

Last edited by Rokn Red; 08-04-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add pics
Old 08-04-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see from pics that you live by the ocean.. so really it has seen salt. Just the spray from the ocean on a windy day along with the fine sand that gets whipped up can corrode things pretty easily and in odd ways.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorry i gotta ask ... whats with the spoilers man? I like the body kit but the spoiler has to go. It looks like youre trying out for Fast and the Furious: Domestics Take Their Revenge.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

ACtually I live about 10 miles off the Gulf, but only a couple of miles off the bay (salt and fresh water (brakish) water). Plus, I'm anout 3 blocks what we call bayou up in the Pnahandle.

I broke down and bought the new Torq thrus Ms in Antracite color. Chrome doesn't look like it's going to work.

As for the spoiler ?, not doing any Fast furios Rice BS. Let me ask you, have you seen the West Wing in person. You'd be amazed how many F-Body dudes at shows really like once they see it's all one pice, not a bolt on wing. Besides I feel why look like everyone else's car, that's my take and respect whatever you do with your cars. That's what being F-Bod lovers should be about not wanting everyone's car to look like what we think it should.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokn Red
Just washed my car/wheels last Saturday and noticed at the base of each spoke is what looks like corrosion underneath the chrome. This car has never seen snow or any salt of any kind. It's always garaged and had been all week. It's in NW Florida, weather been high 80s-90s and 60-90% humidity. I just looked at them and there's a yellow dust and what looks like Armor-All smear. The wheels are 5 years old and cleaned with soap and water and hand dried w/towel.

I'm sure I'm screwed and gotta drop $1500-2000 to replace; any ideas what the hell is going on?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2769986 (bottom right are wheel pics)
wear and tear my friend. i lived in nj and now in fl and my car was a DD during nice days and the chrome is pitting, pealing, ect.
A local custom motorcycle shop can powder coat them if you want. I'm going to have mine sandblasted and powder-coated black and it's going to cost $150 for all 4 wheels. A lot cheaper than me dropping $1500 for new tires and black Z06 rims.
Good luck,
-Charlie
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

I hear ya FU, but it gave me an excuse to move up to 315s on the back since I ordered 17 x 10.5 and I'll have a spare set of Eagles for the front. The 4 wheel (2 17 x 9 and 2 17 x 10.5) cost me total $900 w/shipping. Lookin for 315 Eagles right now.