Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rolling Fenders on Camaro- How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rolling Fenders on Camaro- How?

I have Fikse FM-5 17x11's on the back of my lowered SS. I literally have slivers of rubber missing from the tires and REALLY deep gashes in them from the fenders tearing into them when turning.

Exactly how do I go about rolling the fenders? What tools do I need or should I have a professional bodyshop do it? Will the fender hold its shape/structure afterwards? I dont want it to 'kink.' I've never actually seen an fbody with it done, does it look funny? Anyone have any pics of what it looks like? I appreciate any help. Thanks alot- Mike W.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rolling Fenders on Camaro- How?

www.fenderroller.com

try to find one locally. They work great. Use a heat gun to get the paint hot & soft. Fender holds it's shape just fine - you can't even tell that anything has been done. All you need to do is fold up the 'lip' on the inside of the fender.

Good luck,
Shane
Old 06-17-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

if it looks exactly stock, I dont see any problem in doing it. The only reason why I would never do it is beacuse I thought it changed the outside shape of the fender, but if it works like you say it does then its pretty bad ***
Old 06-18-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

From the outside, it looks exactly like stock. If you get all the way up to the wheel, and look up into the well, you can see that the lip has been folded. If you're ever up in the Austin area, drop me an e-mail and you can take a look at mine.
good luck,
Shane
Old 07-02-2003, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.fenderroller.com

try to find one locally. They work great. Use a heat gun to get the paint hot & soft. Fender holds it's shape just fine - you can't even tell that anything has been done. All you need to do is fold up the 'lip' on the inside of the fender.

Good luck,
Shane

Hey Shane,

How did you find that web site? Just curious...I was setting that up and hadn't advertised it anywhere yet.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 07-02-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Or try here.. they also had a nice write up in one of the magazines and it looked very easy to use and do.. maybe you could contact them and they could get a copy of the article for you?

Cool tool.. called the Jimmy:
http://www.chicanesport.com/product_catalog.html

Good luck
Old 07-03-2003, 02:19 AM
TECH Regular

www.fenderroller.com

Good luck,
Shane

$495 outright purchase damn!

$7.00 rubber mallet and a $ .20 razor blade !!!!

Old 07-03-2003, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm...Shawn, I don't remember exactly how I found that...most likely a google search for a fender roller...? I was lucky enough to find a local guy that had one he rented out - so I used it in his driveway with no deposit...
Shane

Hey Shane,

How did you find that web site? Just curious...I was setting that up and hadn't advertised it anywhere yet.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 07-03-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

If you check the link I posted you will see that the tool is only $60 and you dont have to worry about f'ing up your quarters

Heck, you can rent it out to your buddys and make back some of the $$$
Old 07-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Steve2000SS, I'm gonna go ahead and purchase that "Chicane Jimmy" item. I just ordered some 17x11's and they should arrive late July/early August. I wanna prep my fenders for them. I'll let you guys know how it works out. by the way, Steve I'm actually in Azusa, every week visiting family. mebbe I could meet you up sometime and BS about our rides some time.

-Steven
Old 07-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

I just noticed that "Chicane Sport tuning" is located in the city of Torrance which is about 15-20 min. away from where I live at. I'll probably just drive down to their shop, purchase the "Jimmy" and have them do it for me (this way I could learn how to do it). In the future, if any So. Cal members need their fenders rolled, I could rent it out and make my some money back.

-Steven
Old 07-05-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or try here.. they also had a nice write up in one of the magazines and it looked very easy to use and do.. maybe you could contact them and they could get a copy of the article for you?

Good luck
Is that a joke? The pic shows what looks like two small/medium deadblow hammers. (?) I can get two of these from a hardware store for ~$15. Anyone ever used the baseball bat method?
Old 07-05-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Good luck
Nope, your just looking at it wrong -- its not a "dead hammer" but a tool designed to roll fender lips.. hard to explain without seeing one close-up.. that tiny pic dosent show it very well

Sure, hit the fender on your $30k car with a bat.. Might work and might deform your quarter or crack the paint (cheap GM water based stuff).. If you saw the article in the magazine the tool would make more sense.. they need a better picture (and I dont know why they show two of them??)

Is that a joke? The pic shows what looks like two small/medium deadblow hammers. (?) I can get two of these from a hardware store for ~$15. Anyone ever used the baseball bat method?
Old 07-06-2003, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.fenderroller.com

Good luck,
Shane

$495 outright purchase damn!

$7.00 rubber mallet and a $ .20 razor blade !!!!

He does allow you to rent one as well
Old 07-06-2003, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

I used the bat method
Old 07-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

I just purchased the "Chicane Jimmy Tool". It should arrive late next week. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Again, if you guys are local, I'll rent out the tool to you...hehehe *hit, I gotta make my money back somehow. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks Steve2000SS for posting the info.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

I just received the "Chicane Jimmy Tool" in the mail today. I just finished rolling the driver's side rear fender with it. It's wayyy too easy with this tool. It doesn't do the complete job for you though. Once you roll the fender to your desired liking, you use a flat hammer and finish it off.

Quick Reply: Rolling Fenders on Camaro- How?