LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Wiring, Stereo & Electronics (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics-19/)
-   -   HELP NEEDED for the Turn Signal wiring (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/1913191-help-needed-turn-signal-wiring.html)

curtisrp 01-10-2019 07:11 PM

HELP NEEDED for the Turn Signal wiring

I need to know how to wire up a Motion Raceworks billet turn signal switch (see link below) to the factory steering column wiring harness plug. The blinker switch is a 3 wire (left, right, power). I want to take the 99 Camaro factory steering column out and replace it with a Motion Raceworks lightweight steering column. After I unhook the wiring harness plug from the factory steering column, I need a diagram or someone to show me which wires do I use from the factory wiring harness plug to work with the Motion Raceworks billet turn signal switch. I just want to attach the needed wires to the factory steering column wiring harness from the Motion Raceworks billet turn signal switch.
https://www.motionraceworks.com/coll...-signal-switch

Thanks!

WhiteBird00 01-11-2019 07:16 AM

The factory turn signal switch has separate output for front and rear signals so installing a three wire switch will require some wiring changes. This would be very difficult on a Firebird (or earlier Camaro) because the rear signals are combined with the brake lights but on an LS1 Camaro it's just a matter of combining the front and rear output for each side.

The power input from the turn signal flasher is on the purple wire in the 11-pin connector attached to the steering column near the base (there is also another 11-pin connector there that is not attached to the column). Output is through the light blue wire (left front), yellow (left rear), dark blue (right front), and dark green (right rear) in the same connector. You will have to connect the left signal output from your new switch to both the light blue and yellow wires. Similarly, you will connect the right signal output to the dark blue and dark green wires.

curtisrp 01-11-2019 10:21 AM

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Chase99TA 01-28-2020 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 (Post 20028942)
The factory turn signal switch has separate output for front and rear signals so installing a three wire switch will require some wiring changes. This would be very difficult on a Firebird (or earlier Camaro) because the rear signals are combined with the brake lights but on an LS1 Camaro it's just a matter of combining the front and rear output for each side.

The power input from the turn signal flasher is on the purple wire in the 11-pin connector attached to the steering column near the base (there is also another 11-pin connector there that is not attached to the column). Output is through the light blue wire (left front), yellow (left rear), dark blue (right front), and dark green (right rear) in the same connector. You will have to connect the left signal output from your new switch to both the light blue and yellow wires. Similarly, you will connect the right signal output to the dark blue and dark green wires.

Is this 11 pin connector for the input and output the one that is to right side of the steering column base? Asking because I’m wiring from scratch but still have the stock column and wiring that’s attached but everything else is gone.

WhiteBird00 01-28-2020 04:15 PM

There are two 11-pin connectors... one that is attached to the column and one that floats freely. The turn signal wires are in the one that's attached to the column. I don't have my manual handy to determine which side of the column that is on but you can also recognize it by the wire colors mentioned.

WhiteBird00 01-29-2020 11:33 AM

I checked the schematic... the connector is indeed the one on the right side of the column. It has the following wires in the eleven positions: (empty), black, light green, black, light blue/white, dark blue/white, brown, purple, yellow, dark green, and light blue.

Cstone812 03-26-2023 12:40 PM

Bump to an old thread but has Anyone else done this that can chime in? I followed what was said above and can’t get mine to work.

WhiteBird00 03-27-2023 07:48 AM

If you connected the wires as described, then it will work. If it doesn't then we can run through some diagnostics to find out why. For example, have you checked the TURN-B/U fuse (20A #2)? If that is blown then your signals and backup lights won't work regardless of wiring configuration.

Connect the purple wire to the power terminal on the new switch. Connect both the light blue with white and the yellow wires to the left terminal of the new switch. Connect both the dark blue with white and the dark green wires to the right terminal of the new switch. The light blue and dark blue wires with white tracer are for the front signals. They go to the dash indicator lights and to the DRL module behind the radio to control DRL constant on versus turn signal flashing for each side. The dark green and yellow wires go to the rear. If you wire the new switch as described and the rear signals work but the front signals don't then the DRL module may be the problem.

Cstone812 03-27-2023 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 (Post 20492204)
If you connected the wires as described, then it will work. If it doesn't then we can run through some diagnostics to find out why. For example, have you checked the TURN-B/U fuse (20A #2)? If that is blown then your signals and backup lights won't work regardless of wiring configuration.

Connect the purple wire to the power terminal on the new switch. Connect both the light blue with white and the yellow wires to the left terminal of the new switch. Connect both the dark blue with white and the dark green wires to the right terminal of the new switch. The light blue and dark blue wires with white tracer are for the front signals. They go to the dash indicator lights and to the DRL module behind the radio to control DRL constant on versus turn signal flashing for each side. The dark green and yellow wires go to the rear. If you wire the new switch as described and the rear signals work but the front signals don't then the DRL module may be the problem.

Does that purple wire still have key on power if the connector is disconnected? I have the motion steering column installed so that connector is just hanging.

edit: I now have both working just can’t get either to flash.

edit: I got it all figured out now. In case anyone else is doing this I had to run 12v power straight to the turn signal switch prong and then from the other one to the power port of the motion switch. Then follow the instructions above for the other wires.