Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 WS6 key fob trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 WS6 key fob trouble

Hi all new here. Was wondering if anyone has had trouble getting their trans am into key fob learning mode. Car has a Holley terminator in it and an after market radio. Can’t seem to get it to do the learning mode sequence when I do the steps.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Neither the Holley Terminator nor the aftermarket radio would have any impact on programming remotes because only the BCM is involved in the process. The steps are very specific and must be followed exactly for it to work. For example, skipping the first step of cycling the ignition to disable the alarm is frequently skipped as unnecessary, but it really is necessary.

Here are the steps:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN, then to OFF. This will disarm the content theft-deterrent/alarm system (if equipped).
2. Remove the #17 RADIO fuse. This fuse is located at the lower right corner of the main fuse block which is on the left side of your instrument panel.
3. Turn the ignition key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within five seconds) and leave it in the RUN position on the last time. The vehicle will respond by locking the doors, unlocking the driver’s door and releasing the hatch. Your transmitter is now ready to match the vehicle.
4. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the first transmitter for 15 seconds. The vehicle will respond as in Step 3.
5. Repeat Step 4 for the remaining transmitters.
6. When you have finished matching all of your transmitters, turn the ignition off and replace the RADIO fuse.
7. Check that all transmitters work by pressing the buttons. Don't forget that your hatch is open.

The following users liked this post:
StayFrosty (03-01-2024)
Old 03-01-2024, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the car never responds after going through steps 1-3 it never does the lock and unlock sequence with the doors
Old 03-02-2024, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There are only two possible reasons for that to happen... your BCM is defective or you're making a misstep in executing the procedure. BCMs have been known to become faulty very occasionally, but that's usually accompanied by other symptoms like things failing to work such as the power door locks, the hatch release, the seat belt chime and/or light, or the courtesy lights. If you aren't experiencing any other issues then it's extremely unlikely that the BCM is the problem. If you are experiencing other symptoms then you'll probably have to find a remanufactured BCM (used ones are a problem unless you also get the original key that goes with it due to VATS).
Old 03-03-2024, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did this the other day and it worked on my car. Although afterwards the radio went into LOC mode, but that was an easy fix.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Spoke too soon. I programmed 3 key fobs and all 3 responded to the programming. Turn key off, replace fuse and only 1 of the 3 work. Start the procedure over. All 3 again program again and just 1 works. But its a different key fob that works this time. Repeated this process 5 times and each time a different key fob works and 2 do not. Tried to program just 2 with same results, just 1 programs and it could either one that will open the doors afterwards. I checked the voltage on each "new" fob. 2.7 or 2.8 volts on brand new fobs. I replaced all with new batteries (3.2 volts) I have yet to retry the programming, I follow the programming instruction's from my owners manual. Is there a certain amount of time that is allowed to program all 3? Could low voltage cause this weird programming? I will try again this afternoon when I'm near the car again. 2002 WS6. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting that allows more than 1 fob to be programmed? I believe the first fob takes the program and the remaining 1 or 2 do not. thanks
Old 04-23-2024, 10:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The system will time out while programming if you take too long, but if you have all the fobs with you when you start, it's doubtful that you're hitting that timeout. I don't know if there's a limit on the number of fobs that can be programmed, but I know that it is at least two and probably as many as four. I have had people experience the same symptoms due to programming error... they program one fob then start the process over to program the second (i.e. by repeating step 3) rather than just doing all the fobs consecutively. In that case, only the last programmed fob will work.
The following users liked this post:
rocket dawg (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the quick response. So Im not the only one who has had problems with this. When I first programmed all 3 about a month ago, all 3 programmed correctly. Not sure why 2 lost the capability to work. I will mess with it a little more and if I find a cure, I'll post it up here. I do program all 3 within 15 seconds. I even tried to hold each one for 15 seconds and that didn't work at all. Hopefully the low voltage had something to do with it, but I kind of doubt it.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Now all 3 will not program. I follow the steps, only 1 of the 3 responds to the programming, sometimes 2 will. but they will not lock /unlock afterwards. The BCM was mentioned above. I'll look into that.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:09 AM
Teching In

The OEM key fob programmed yesterday successfully. The 3 aftermarket ones would not. 2 of them responded to the programming but did nothing once radio fuse was put back in. Would this be BCM problem? The aftermarket ones all worked fine about a month ago. Yeah something is not right here. The replacements sometimes respond and the next try they wont respond. Did my research on the BCM, so I know where its located. I also can solder if thats what it takes. thanks for any help you can toss my way.

Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 key fob trouble