Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New SQ Car Audio Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New SQ Car Audio Build

Hello, everyone! Figured I’d stop in to share some photos and details from my recently completed stereo install. This started out as a basic upgrade, using a Sony head unit, Kee Audio’s Level 4 kit, and a JL RD500/1 powering a JL 10W3V3 in a stealthbox. I installed the sub and head unit first, and while it sounded awesome, all kinds of things were rattling, and I instantly decided that the build would require more. Don’t you love it when builds spiral!

Well, since the decision to use some sound treatment was made, I couldn’t in good conscience not upgrade more, so I spent some time reviewing builds here, and began asking questions on various car audio forums and FB groups. After a few months of back and forth, I decided to run new wire for everything, use slightly higher end components, and go ham on sound deadening/absorption. My days of competitive racing ended with 700hp cars from the factory, and rather than try to make this car compete in that world, I’d instead make it a fun relatively fast car, with a tad more refinement. Still have more work to do there, but you all know how this goes, builds are never done. Anyway, back to the audio build.

I decided to use factory speaker locations. The fronts are wired to run active with Audiofrog GB15 tweeters and GB60 mids. I do have rear fill set up passive, using Kee’s CDT hatch kit, and then I have a JL audio 10W6 that was mounted in place of the 10W3 in the JL stealthbox. I made the decision not to run speakers in the back seat/sail locations at this time. I have a JL VX800/8i running the fronts with bridged channels to the mids, and the remaining two channels are going to the rear fill. An RD500/1 is connected to the VXi amp for the sub. That gives me 75 watts to each tweeter, 150 watts to each mid, 75 watts to each set in the hatch, and 500 to the sub. For wiring I turned to Knukonceptz. I ran their Kolossus 1/0 power from the battery back into a really cool ground a power distribution block. RCA’s are Krystal Twisted Pair, and speaker wire is all 14 gauge Karma Twisted Pair. Everything is tinned OFC, and was very easy to install.

Sound treatment mostly came from ResoNix, where I used their CLD tiles, Fibermat 25 and 45, and Barrier in the hatch area. I did decide to use Luxury Liner Pro for blocking and absorption in the main cabin. Nick knows his stuff over there, and I was very satisfied with his products and support.

The last addition to the build was the source. I previously had a Sony XAV-AX200, which has been fantastic, but since streaming is my preferred way to listen these days, I wanted to try something that was a bit better. Also, I always had an issue with the RCA’s in the back keeping the head unit from sitting flush due to interference in the dash. Enter the Sony XAV-9000ES. This is their newest offering with wireless Android Auto and CarPlay, and offers higher resolution Bluetooth streaming, while still supporting FLAC audio on a USB. Another big benefit is that it’s a double DIN with a single DIN chassis, and is more shallow, giving more cable clearance.

To wrap all this up, I turned to Jeffrey Hald at Total Tuning for his HaldMaxTune, to get this fantastic equipment sounding its best. He has a great reputation for tuning competition winning SQ builds all over the world, and has refined his ability to offer great results remotely. Communication with him was great! We talked through the build and my goals, and he even offered equipment rentals to ensure the best possible results. He’s every bit as good as I hoped. The entire process was super smooth, and I was left completely satisfied. I can’t begin to tell you the relief I felt at that point. After all, this was a decent investment in cost and my time. At this point I had roughly 50 hours invested, and was tired lol!

Now, for the fun stuff, pictures!

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Tang2; 05-04-2024 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Pics
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:49 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just a little bit of overkill for these cars unless you are doing comp. with it.
Old 05-05-2024, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Nice set up!
Old 05-05-2024, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rwb
Just a little bit of overkill for these cars unless you are doing comp. with it.
Perhaps, but overkill is a relative term. I spent less on this setup than I have on any other major components (rear, trans, engine, wheels, etc.) I love this car, so to me it’s worth it.

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Nice set up!
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 05-07-2024, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Whats the head unit look like installed?
Old 05-07-2024, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 650 Likes on 499 Posts

Nice! I see attention to detail was utilized here for sure.
Tang2 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by weiland
Whats the head unit look like installed?
here ya go!

Old 05-09-2024, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Clean! Hurst Shifter looks good too, I'm looking at the Alcantara one
Tang2 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by weiland
Clean! Hurst Shifter looks good too, I'm looking at the Alcantara one
I wanted one of those, but was worried that it would look worn faster. Although, as infrequently as I drive this, it really shouldn’t be a consideration lol!
Old 05-13-2024, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

jeffrey is one of my best friends and one of the only people i would let tune for me if i wasn't able.
Tang2 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Im from the day's of mini trucks and blazers. I like big systems I cannot lie.
Your's is a nice build coming from an ex installer it ought to sound real nice and knock out all the f bod road noise too.
I Just had to get a real job but damm I loved working at the car audio shop in college.
Tang2 (05-18-2024)

Quick Reply: New SQ Car Audio Build