Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Key fob only works right next to car

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Key fob only works right next to car

First off, yes I searched for this, found several threads about it, but the replies were f-ing worthless and didn't give any help.
Second, I do not want to catch shade from G for bumping an old thread. So here we are.

I have a 2000 Firehawk and the key fob will only unlock the door if I am right next to the car and I have to push the button repeatedly. I've replaced the battery in the fob and it makes no difference.

I was reading in an old thread on these cars, the key fob reciever is in the BCM,. That was the only useful information I found.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It is most likely that your nearly 25 year old fobs are just not producing enough signal. Try buying a new one and programming it then see if you get increased range (30 feet is about normal although some get more than that). If that's successful then you can replace your other fob(s) as well and program them together.

It is extremely unlikely that the keyless entry circuit in your BCM has lost reception sensitivity although I suppose it is possible. Still, it's best to start with the easier and less expensive option first.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

I appreciate the reply. I didn't know the fob could produce a low signal, i figured it was all or nothing. I'll get some new fobs.
Old 09-16-2024, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It is most likely that your nearly 25 year old fobs are just not producing enough signal. Try buying a new one and programming it then see if you get increased range (30 feet is about normal although some get more than that). If that's successful then you can replace your other fob(s) as well and program them together.

It is extremely unlikely that the keyless entry circuit in your BCM has lost reception sensitivity although I suppose it is possible. Still, it's best to start with the easier and less expensive option first.
Is there any particular place I should get the fobs from? I didn't know if some where better than others.

Thanks again.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Most members here buy remotes from Amazon. If you search for the FCC ID number found on your existing remote, you'll be sure to get the right replacement.
Old 09-29-2024, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

I ordered two from Amazon but I haven't been able to program both at the same time.

It locks/unlocks/pops the hatch when I do the first one, but it never recognizes the second.

I have tried used both to start the process, it will recognize each one, but not both at the same time.

I have yet to figure out why.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First question... when you get one of the fobs programmed, does it have a normal range for locking/unlocking the car? If not then programming both is a moot point because they aren't the source of the original problem.

Can you program your two original remotes? Can you program one of the new remotes along with one of your original remotes? If those steps work then it's likely that there is something wrong with the new remotes. If it doesn't work then there's some other problem. Are you programming the second remote immediately after getting the response from the first one (i.e. releasing the buttons on the first remote then pressing and holding the buttons on the second with no other steps in between)? Also, it is not necessary to hold the lock and unlock buttons for 15 seconds - the instructions should say "up to 15 seconds" - the remote is programmed as soon as the door locks and hatch respond.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
First off, yes I searched for this, found several threads about it, but the replies were f-ing worthless and didn't give any help.
Second, I do not want to catch shade from G for bumping an old thread. So here we are.

I have a 2000 Firehawk and the key fob will only unlock the door if I am right next to the car and I have to push the button repeatedly. I've replaced the battery in the fob and it makes no difference.

I was reading in an old thread on these cars, the key fob reciever is in the BCM,. That was the only useful information I found.

Thanks for any insight.

I just dealt with this with my key fob. Might be worth a try. I removed the green control board from the plastic housing and cleaned every metal contact using QD cleaner and a qtip. Replaced the battery. Be sure to clean the back side of the silicone/rubber buttons as well. Works like new now.

Quick Reply: Key fob only works right next to car