Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

High Beams Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beams Don't Work

My high beams don't turn on at all when I click the switch. The blue light on the gauges lights up, but the lights don't turn on. I don't think both of the lights are burnt, and there are no fuses burnt. Can anybody tell me where to start looking?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Well, there are a number of possibilities that we can eliminate. The fusible link is okay or you wouldn't have low beam lights either (there is no fuse for the headlights). The switch is okay or you wouldn't get an indicator light on the dash. The grounds must be okay because the low beams use the same ones (one on each side). That leaves the bulbs or the wiring from the switch to the bulbs. You can test the wiring with a multimeter or test light to see if there is power on the light green wire at the bulb when the high beams should be on. I suspect you'll find that it's just burned out bulbs.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

What would you recommend for replacement headlights? Does Sylvania make some that the autoparts stores carry? I noticed that they are sealed beam lights. One more thing, where are the screws to take them out? I just saw the adjuster screws when I was looking at them.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 02BlackOnBlackSS
What would you recommend for replacement headlights? Does Sylvania make some that the autoparts stores carry? I noticed that they are sealed beam lights. One more thing, where are the screws to take them out? I just saw the adjuster screws when I was looking at them.
I'm assuming from your name that you have a Camaro. Camaros don't have sealed beams, they use halogen bulbs. Replacement is a simple matter of opening the hood, reaching behind the headlights, unplugging the bulb connector, turning the bulb a quarter turn, and pulling it out.

The bulbs are #9006 (low beam) and #9005 (high beam) available from any auto parts store. Sylvania makes them as well as several other manufacturers. Don't be fooled by those "pure white" replacement bulbs - they tint the lens blue to reduce the yellow look of normal halogen bulbs but the tinting actually reduces the total light output. They may look brighter but that's just because the whiter light produces more glare.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I'm assuming from your name that you have a Camaro. Camaros don't have sealed beams, they use halogen bulbs. Replacement is a simple matter of opening the hood, reaching behind the headlights, unplugging the bulb connector, turning the bulb a quarter turn, and pulling it out.

The bulbs are #9006 (low beam) and #9005 (high beam) available from any auto parts store. Sylvania makes them as well as several other manufacturers. Don't be fooled by those "pure white" replacement bulbs - they tint the lens blue to reduce the yellow look of normal halogen bulbs but the tinting actually reduces the total light output. They may look brighter but that's just because the whiter light produces more glare.
Oh yeah, My Camaro was stolen and I just got this T/A. Sorry about not specifying.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, Firebirds have sealed beams. To remove them you first have to put them up without being on by turning on the headlights then turning the switch back to the parking light position. This should leave the headlights up but not on. Remove the screws that hold the headlamp bezel (the trim piece around the lamps under the headlight door). There are three screws - one at each side and one at the top in the middle. When that's removed you will see the normal headlight mounting ring around each sealed beam. There are four screws holding each mounting ring - two at the top and two at the bottom. Remove the mounting ring, unplug the sealed beam, and remove it.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's funny - I'm having the same exact problem. Both highbeams all of a sudden didn't work one day, and I noticed that they both have a good amount of condensation in them. Do you think it's possible that they both burnt out simultaneously?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

i would also just recommend usign a volt meter to make sure you have voltage at the high beam bulbs first, it may just be bad bulbs, but you dont wanna go out, buy new bulbs and think thats all it is and then have to keep workign on it.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just bought a voltage tester at Harbor Freight for $3.99 I'll test them tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Default 1999 camaro z28 headlights not working

So today I turned on my headlights and my light switch made a clicking buzzard sound nothing came in my running lights are working fine I checked bulbs all are ok when I turn on the high beams I get a click but the blue indicator light does not turn on at all on the dash any ideas thank you

Quick Reply: High Beams Don't Work