LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Wiring, Stereo & Electronics (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics-19/)
-   -   Getting ripped off! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/924150-getting-ripped-off.html)

Irocem99 05-20-2008 08:02 PM

Getting ripped off!

Give me reasons why I should make the plunge in getting the Kenwood 512 and not worry constantly about the thing getting jacked. I live in a good area and have the factory alarm.. I'm on the fence bigtime. I want to run out and get it and this crap has me pausing bigtime..

Snootch 05-21-2008 01:52 AM

I would not worry about it. If you never want it to get stolen, that's possible if you:
1. don't play your system loudly near groups of people in public places (e.g. the parking lot in front of the movies on fri. night)
2. Don't show off your system to anybody. (yes, this includes "friends", how many times have you heard "my friend's brother has this and that in his car"?)
3. Don't display any brand name stereo stickers on the outside of the car. (e.g. "Alpine" or "Kicker" stickers on the back window.)
4. Insure it. Have the thing professionally installed and take the receipt over to your ins. company. They will insure it for a small additional amount.
The key is to keep your stuff low-profile and insure it. Hope this helps. :)

02Z28LS1 05-21-2008 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snootch (Post 9405604)
I would not worry about it. If you never want it to get stolen, that's possible if you:
1. don't play your system loudly near groups of people in public places (e.g. the parking lot in front of the movies on fri. night)
2. Don't show off your system to anybody. (yes, this includes "friends", how many times have you heard "my friend's brother has this and that in his car"?)
3. Don't display any brand name stereo stickers on the outside of the car. (e.g. "Alpine" or "Kicker" stickers on the back window.)
4. Insure it. Have the thing professionally installed and take the receipt over to your ins. company. They will insure it for a small additional amount.
The key is to keep your stuff low-profile and insure it. Hope this helps. :)

all very good suggestions, especially (and most importantly) #1. i always turn down the stereo before i arrive at my destination, just so that it won't draw attention to anyone. if they don't know it's there, they're less likely to want to steal it.

Irocem99 05-21-2008 11:08 AM

Thats good advice. I'm not one to turn it up too loud. I had 2 diff Irocs get knocked over a movie theaters. They even had alarms on them. Thieves don't go buy any of that stuff,they look in nice cars. Its not the stereo,its the car that's a target. Correct?

dragonrage 05-21-2008 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Irocem99 (Post 9407150)
Its not the stereo,its the car that's a target. Correct?

It's anything that draws attention. Flashy car, system that can be heard for blocks away as you pull in and park, owner that brags about it, anything.

Irocem99 05-21-2008 01:21 PM

I pretty much go from point A to point B,but it sucks to have to drive another car somewhere because you have to worry about this crap! If I ever catch a thief,I'll be writing you guy's from jail! :-)

enos44 05-21-2008 03:51 PM

I have had nice stereos in all of my cars and always have had dark tinted windows so even when you do look in you can hardly see anything although if theivs still want to get in they can best of luck.

phantomzer0 05-21-2008 06:18 PM

Dude, I wouldn't put too much trust on that stock alarm. My car got broken into with the alarm active and it never even went off. If your planning on spending major money, buy a quality alarm and rest assured that it will work. I went out and got a nice top notch viper alarm. You can't even breath on the car without it making a "Back the Fuck Up" noise. I love it.

Irocem99 05-21-2008 07:16 PM

How much was the alarm Phantomzer0? Which model? I don't want the alarm going off constantly,but if you get close and it chirps or something..That would be cool..

AiDRocks 05-22-2008 01:32 AM

If you're worried about your car so much, you should definitely get an aftermarket alarm. My shit is set real sensitive where someone next to me just starting their car arts it off. Yes, my neighbors hate me .

Snootch 05-24-2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by dragonrage (Post 9407319)
It's anything that draws attention. Flashy car, system that can be heard for blocks away as you pull in and park, owner that brags about it, anything.

I've had multiple 1000+ watt systems in my TA and never had a problem. I have the stock alarm system too. I drive around most of the time with the windows down, at 100% volume. BUT I turn that shit WAY down/off when I get within a mile of where i'm going and don't mention the system or show it to anyone.

Irocem99 05-24-2008 04:25 PM

smart guy.. I just have a new head unit.. I wouldn't be worried about speakers.. Snootch what are you running for a head unit?