1979 Firebird Formula (NO TITLE)

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Exclamation 1979 Firebird Formula (NO TITLE)

Ok I am looking into buying what seems to be a 79-80 firebird formula thats in pretty decent shape exterior wise and interiior not so great. There is a few details about the car, no motor, no transmission but has a 12 bolt, no serious rust visible and the most important NO TITLE!!!!

Now my question is how would I go about getting a title for it? The owner said he got it from a job he did and that the person didn't have the money to pay him so he gave him the car but never found the title for it. He tried calling the guy but phone is now disconnected. I really want the car but what headaches would I be looking at as far as getting the title.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes a long time and is a pain in the ***. Post some pics of the car and how much. From one it sounds like, I wouldn't pay more than $500.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mechanics lien, or various other shady ways. Recommend finding something else no title deals are always a major PITA.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
It takes a long time and is a pain in the ***. Post some pics of the car and how much. From one it sounds like, I wouldn't pay more than $500.
It's actually $400. The car is in very good shape exterior wise and for being in the sun for 5 years the paint is in damn good condition. I actually wiped off some of the dirt off and there is still some good shine on it. I cant find the ad anymore for the pictures. I would say its a good buy just want to know the headaches that come with a car with no title. He even said if I cant get the title he would refund my money.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Mechanics lien, or various other shady ways. Recommend finding something else no title deals are always a major PITA.
I guess a mechanics lean would be a good idea. I also know a guy that owns a dealership for used cars, you guysthink he would be able to help me out some kind of way?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zamora7
I guess a mechanics lean would be a good idea. I also know a guy that owns a dealership for used cars, you guysthink he would be able to help me out some kind of way?
He should be able too.
For $400 I would do it. If you back out or get tired of the car down the road let me know, I would like to have it.

Check the floors and trunk lid though, that's the main place they rust. The body's hold up well on later 2nd gen cars..
Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He should be able too.
For $400 I would do it. If you back out or get tired of the car down the road let me know, I would like to have it.

Check the floors and trunk lid though, that's the main place they rust. The body's hold up well on later 2nd gen cars..
Yeah I'm just going to jump on it and see what happens from there and see how many headaches it gives me. Its actually just like the one you restored but it has a formula hood, the one with two scoops on it. I will check those areas once its with me and I tear it down. Interior is rough but I expected that. Once I have it I'll take some pictures and post them here or another thread.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm just going to jump on it and see what happens from there and see how many headaches it gives me. Its actually just like the one you restored but it has a formula hood, the one with two scoops on it. I will check those areas once its with me and I tear it down. Interior is rough but I expected that. Once I have it I'll take some pictures and post them here or another thread.
You will have a lot of fun with it if you get it on the road, I miss mine so much. If I could go back I wouldn't have sold it. I only got it to fix up and sell but it really grew on me. I love my 99' but it's still not quite the same.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a bonded title through several different companies. That way will
cost you about $500. Just think to your self if you believe the car is worth $900 and if so jump on it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Irbs, I'd say it is worth the $900, but how do I get a bonded title and what does it mean by bonded.

Penguin, I did see that thread you made about that car. It turned out very nice and I never understood why you would sell it. Hopefully I can make this one turn out as nice, it needs a lot of interior work but I'd say that's the easiest part. Some more advice is welcome.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not 100% sure what a bonded title is. Google bonded auto title.
http://www.Affordableautotitle.com/ is in your area.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irbs
I'm not 100% sure what a bonded title is. Google bonded auto title.
http://www.Affordableautotitle.com/ is in your area.
I'll have to take a look at this tomorrow when I have access to a computer, Blackberry is slow as *****!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

I got a title and it cost me like 150$. I don't remember the guy, nor do I have his contact information, but it was in San Antonio where you are. It took I think 3 months. Basically, you get a mechanic, or a storage facility operator to file a storage/mechanics lien on the car(If it's sitting around somewhere, it makes it perfectly legal to do the storage lien to my knowledge).

The mechanic will have to send a certified letter to the owner of the title(It will be listed when the VIN is run), owner has a month to answer I think believe.

You can also try to get an abandoned title, but I don't know much about that one. The bonded title deal sucks if I remember correctly.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess an abandoned title would work since the previous owner just left it there pretty much.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Irbs, I'd say it is worth the $900, but how do I get a bonded title and what does it mean by bonded.

Penguin, I did see that thread you made about that car. It turned out very nice and I never understood why you would sell it. Hopefully I can make this one turn out as nice, it needs a lot of interior work but I'd say that's the easiest part. Some more advice is welcome.
Idk, I guess I was just ready for something else. Plus it got 6mpg and was always breaking down lol.. Ran great after I got a new carb, but I only drove it a couple times that last month I had it, too damn hot outside. I can't wait to get another one, all the ones I looked at were really bad or didn't have t-tops, which is just a must for these cars. I want a black 77

And yes the interior is really easy and makes a big difference. 78ta.com had the best prices that I found.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Idk, I guess I was just ready for something else. Plus it got 6mpg and was always breaking down lol.. Ran great after I got a new carb, but I only drove it a couple times that last month I had it, too damn hot outside. I can't wait to get another one, all the ones I looked at were really bad or didn't have t-tops, which is just a must for these cars. I want a black 77

And yes the interior is really easy and makes a big difference. 78ta.com had the best prices that I found.
Well I already commited to the car and I'm looking forward to it.
Didn't you get a 78 camaro or something? Yes 77 are sweet, I might just do the front end conversion on it with the straight single headlisghts like the one from year one. 78ta.com here I come. As far as motor goes I'm thinking about putting a ls1 in it or 5.3.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Well I already commited to the car and I'm looking forward to it.
Didn't you get a 78 camaro or something? Yes 77 are sweet, I might just do the front end conversion on it with the straight single headlisghts like the one from year one. 78ta.com here I come. As far as motor goes I'm thinking about putting a ls1 in it or 5.3.
Stay carburated for now. Later down the road go ls1 or LQ9.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by irbs
Stay carburated for now. Later down the road go ls1 or LQ9.
There is no motor or tranny in it so might as well go ahead and do it I would think. Although going with a old school small block would same me some cash now.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Might want to check and see if it was stolen before paying anything for it.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Might want to check and see if it was stolen before paying anything for it.
i second that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 Firebird Formula (NO TITLE)