LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Opti...Still Wont Start!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Opti...Still Wont Start!!!

as some of you know my old opti crapped out on me.well i recieved my new one under warranty from chandler today.car will not fire until i stop cranking the car.itll turn over forever then ill get a sputter after i let the key go. i put my spark tester on it to verify and that wat its doing.

i used the wire from the coil to ground...no spark while turning over then i get 3 or 4 sparks once the key is let go.swapped to a good coil and module...same thing...

do you think i recieved a bad opti or do i have some other crazy thing going on?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt...
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

and it still wont run off starter fluid.i dont see why it sputters for a second after i let off the key yet doesnt throw spark while cranking.i see now that a LT1 will truly give your *** the blues.i called myself diagnosing the opti again and im getting the 1-4v AC pulse at the ICM connector.when the other "new" opti crapped out i wasnt getting the pulse.so the new one IS signaling but its still being gay.to be honest if i recieved a new "bad" opti i truly dont want to send it back to chandler again.id rather just go the oreillys or something and just get an opti locally.from the point of me shiping the old opti to recieving the new one it took 2 weeks.an now its frustrating as hell to wait 2 weeks to possibly have another shot opti.....stumped.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

Take a look at our friend shoeboxs on line example of how to trouble shoot it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have it installed 180 out.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmartOJ
and it still wont run off starter fluid.i dont see why it sputters for a second after i let off the key yet doesnt throw spark while cranking.i see now that a LT1 will truly give your *** the blues.i called myself diagnosing the opti again and im getting the 1-4v AC pulse at the ICM connector.when the other "new" opti crapped out i wasnt getting the pulse.so the new one IS signaling but its still being gay.to be honest if i recieved a new "bad" opti i truly dont want to send it back to chandler again.id rather just go the oreillys or something and just get an opti locally.from the point of me shiping the old opti to recieving the new one it took 2 weeks.an now its frustrating as hell to wait 2 weeks to possibly have another shot opti.....stumped.
Sounds like the opti is sending the signal but the PCM is not telling the coil to fire.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Sounds like you have it installed 180 out.
i doubt that as the opti only installs one way,into one slot.i also rechecked and verified the rotor position as i did do the loctite mod.all was good
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

What year is your car?

If it's sine drive it is very possible to install it 180 out. I have no experience with the vented style optis but from what I understand they can be installed wrong to.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i doubt that as the opti only installs one way,into one slot.i also rechecked and verified the rotor position as i did do the loctite mod.all was good
Not true, the slots are big enough fr the pin to fit into any of them, i have seen it before. I did not believe it but it was true when i took the car apart it was in the wrong spot, But before you take all apart use the link to test everything out first
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Teching In

you used the square slot? not the other 2 funny looking ones? use the site to troubleshoot first

DO NOT go to oreillys' those asshats cant get **** right neither can autozone ive recieved tons of bad or wrong parts that wont fit or work properly from them. like lower ball joints, moog brand is not built to OEM specs because they dont fit.

just call CMS tell them you did the troubleshooting and want a new one shipped overnight 2 or 3 day turn around
Old 03-20-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^ 2 or 3 days ya right... more like a week or longer in most cases.

And yes most local parts stores are ******* idiots thats why you should know what you need before you go in there. like part numbers ect.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a 96 with the vented opti.man we restabbed this thing at least 10 times on the correct slot and im sure it would have fired by now.heres a breakdown.......

old opti:
wouldnt send 1 to 4v AC pulse to ICM
would not fire at all not even a sputter

new opti:
does send the pulse
every other spin over it will fire and sputter for a second but will not continue to run.

i agree that it sounds like a car thats out of time with a standard distributor but man ive reset it too many times for it not to have run by now.let alone this is not my first opti install.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a 96 with the vented opti.man we restabbed this thing at least 10 times on the correct slot and im sure it would have fired by now.heres a breakdown.......

old opti:
wouldnt send 1 to 4v AC pulse to ICM
would not fire at all not even a sputter

new opti:
does send the pulse
every other spin over it will fire and sputter for a second but will not continue to run.

i agree that it sounds like a car thats out of time with a standard distributor but man ive reset it too many times for it not to have run by now.let alone this is not my first opti install.
Were it 180 or otherwise out , it would still fire just at the wrong time at the plug.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

check the opti harness
Old 03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Buy ten more optis, surely one of them will work
Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

My first opti install went the same way my dad and i just kept messing with it until it worked.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you try replacing the coil? I had a similar problem a year or too back changed the opti with no luck. Ended up being a new coil was bad. two weeks to figure it out
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Buy ten more optis, surely one of them will work
Old 03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

well still no luck.i may have a bad pcm since everything else has been checked.i even bought an opti locally and its still a no go.also now i have wacky stuff going on.i keep throwing a maf p0100 code.ill clear the code and try to start the car a few times and the code will pop right back up.so i borrowed a known good maf and soldered in a new maf pigtail and it still does the same ****.the maf pigtail has good ground,12v feed,and 5v ref.i truly dont know wat the hell is wrong with.i dont want to sell it because i know ill be taking a loss......
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you need to start checking all of the wiring. Maybe something got burned or grounded out. I had a very similar problem as you once and trailed everywire under the hood and alot in the dash. I found lots of burnt and stripped wires.

Are you're injectors pulsing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Opti...Still Wont Start!!!