LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Opti...Still Wont Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojira94
Nobody has said VATS yet.

When you turn the key to the acc. position, during the lamp test, see if you see a light that says Security. Could be as dumb as a coincidence of burnt out bulb and the VATS module has gone south, or as simple as a chafed resistor wire on the lock cylinder. Have taken VATS apart, bypassed, but never had to troubleshoot a VATS problem in person. Worth mentioning.

Said when he turns it by hand he gets spark, but from turning the key, no go...
last nite i was wondering how can the icm be bad if its sparking when i turn the shaft by hand....

and to answer your question.i had vats tuned out when i got my tune.thats why i havent thought anything about vats since its suppose to be tuned out.can it still give me problems?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

also yesterday the car even tried to start up on me yesterday when i was spinning the opti shaft manually.i guess it was enough fuel residue to sputter for a second
Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just woundering if before you pulled it all apart you checked for spark with a good checker? and did you check fuel pressure? Just wanted to know and did nt see it anywhere when i wass re reading all the posts
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
I was just woundering if before you pulled it all apart you checked for spark with a good checker? and did you check fuel pressure? Just wanted to know and did nt see it anywhere when i wass re reading all the posts
yes i checked and the fuel pressure is on point.fouled out 2 sets of plugs with this no spark.so i unplugged the fuel pump relay to put and end to that.basically troubleshooting off starting fluid for now
Old 03-27-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

trouble shooting from starter fluid? bet thats a pain in the ***, why not use the pump?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

question.... im going to try another icm today.but is there any kind of homo *** way that my ignition switch could be causing these problems even tho it has 12v at the pigtails with key on?i looked around and noticed alot of people that were having ignition switch problems dash lights werent working...but mine work....just wondering
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
trouble shooting from starter fluid? bet thats a pain in the ***, why not use the pump?
because the injectors are firing when i turn over the engine and fouling my plugs.and the pain in the *** is having to keep holding the gas pedal down so it doesnt spray fuel.changing plugs on the pass side with the headers is gay.

but my prob isnt even fuel related so it doesnt really matter
Old 03-27-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmartOJ
question.... im going to try another icm today.but is there any kind of homo *** way that my ignition switch could be causing these problems even tho it has 12v at the pigtails with key on?i looked around and noticed alot of people that were having ignition switch problems dash lights werent working...but mine work....just wondering
Truthfully the 12v you have at the coild comes throught the ign switch via the theft deterent. So if you have 12 V contant there when the key is turned on its good, unless the 12 v goes away as you turn the key to start. Since the car turns over you also know that the theft deterent is OK.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS Sick
Truthfully the 12v you have at the coild comes throught the ign switch via the theft deterent. So if you have 12 V contant there when the key is turned on its good, unless the 12 v goes away as you turn the key to start. Since the car turns over you also know that the theft deterent is OK.
truthfully......dude you are the ******* truth lol...man i thought about the idea you just gave me about the power dropping out when i turned the key.so i skinned the 12v pink toi the icm and put meter on it.it had 12v on it.when i tried to crank it voltage went straight to 0 then returned to 12v when i released the key.so i took a piece of wire from the pink wire straight to the battery...fired again and the sum bitch fired straight up lol.actually fired up quicker than it ever has since i had it...relief..so at least i know wats goin on...im about to try the ignition switch first and see where this goes....

but the gay part of this is my car doesnt even really show any signs of a bad ignition switch.......iono
Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

just took the steering column out and installed a new ignition switch..it still drops voltage in the start position...but at least i know its been changed if i ever have any future problems.

would anyone have a schematic on the ignition switch so i can see which wire supplies power when the key is in the start position.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely want to see the outcome of this. Went through the same problem but I haven't got it rectified so I am just switching to a whole new ignition system altogether removing the opti altogether. But, I did too test out my ignition switch because of so many other people w/ similiar issues etc.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SRZ
Definitely want to see the outcome of this. Went through the same problem but I haven't got it rectified so I am just switching to a whole new ignition system altogether removing the opti altogether. But, I did too test out my ignition switch because of so many other people w/ similiar issues etc.
well its not even opti related anymore.that part has been solved as far as my situation goes. but this may still help someone who has a jerk-off telling them buy 10 more optis or something...smh
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

i studied this schematic earlier from shbox's site...http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic96.jpg

according to this the pink wires should have 12v whether the key is in run or in start.i installed new ignition switch today and it still only has power in run but not start. would the lock cylinder have any part in this or do i need to stay focused on the switch and wiring?

now i know i can easily incorporate switched power with a relay but i want to keep this "factory" and less complicated...
Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

im too close to the end for yall to get quiet now....anyone
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

im too close to the end for yall to get quiet now....anyone
How about looking at the 3 engine grounds, making sure 1) they're good; 2) they haven't been improperly used to put ground to some now-gone accessory by a PO and jacked up as a result. Locations you probably already know.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

forgot to let you all know i got it running finally.the pink wire from the ignition switch that feeds the under hood electrical somehow was screwed up...how...i dont know.anyways i cut it to prevent problems later and ran my own wire from the ign switch to the fuse box and all is well...electrical problems at its finest
Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Sounds like you need to start checking all of the wiring. Maybe something got burned or grounded out. I had a very similar problem as you once and trailed everywire under the hood and alot in the dash. I found lots of burnt and stripped wires.

Are you're injectors pulsing?
forgot to let you all know i got it running finally.the pink wire from the ignition switch that feeds the under hood electrical somehow was screwed up...how...i dont know.anyways i cut it to prevent problems later and ran my own wire from the ign switch to the fuse box and all is well...electrical problems at its finest

Do I get a cookie?

Sorry I never PM'd you back. I was on a fishing trip and had no internet access.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, Great to hear you figured it out.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
Do I get a cookie?

Sorry I never PM'd you back. I was on a fishing trip and had no internet access.
cookies already been FedExed...no homo lol.

but i do want to thank all who gave input and ideas. helping the people on here with the "raggedy" cars is also a part of this forum not always who's building the next $10,000 motor lol...thanks to all

Quick Reply: New Opti...Still Wont Start!!!