Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil pan help question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another oil pan help question.

I need to know what oil pan will fit my 70 Chevelle frame with out mods... I have "STOCK LOCATION" mount adapters. The bottom hole in the bbc mount is shared with bottom front hole of the adapter. Will and fbody or cts-v pan work? Will the truck pan work?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy here in town has a LQ4 in a 70' Skylark and has the LH8 or "GM Muscle Car" Oil Pan
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Don't even think about the truck pan, it will hang about 4 inches below the crossmember if you don't modify it (which you said you don't want to do).
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you research on the FAQ for the OIL Pan you will see what the shape of the OEM pan are like

You can get these OEM pans to fit in your Chevelle; 1) 4th Gen F-Body, 2) CTS-V, 3) LH8 (aka GM Muscle Car Pan) and most Truck pans to fit in your Chevelle. They all come with some fitment issue can be an issue that can be resolved by altering your plate, mounts and stands.

The 4th Gen F-Body is a very tight fit. about 3/8"-1/2" between both the pan / x-member and the right side head and firewall.

The CTS-V pan would require you to raise the engine up a bit, both the pan and the depth of the lower sump are issues that would cause you to rasie the engine up.

The LH8 and Truck pan will hang pretty low and not recommened unless chopping off the bottom of the pan to deal with ground clearance issues.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

You might want to check out my build thread. I just attempted to put a GM Musclecar pan in my 1971 Chevelle with the "standard" location engine mounts.

It would work great, but the motor mounts would need spaced up a little bit. The oil pan hit the crossmember before the mounts were down far enough to seat in their proper location. If you want to space the mounts up, then this would be a great alternative actually. You can even see from my measurements that the pan only hangs down approx 2" or less below the crossmember - very similar to a normal deep SBC/BBC pan would.

With all of this taken into consideration, I am now going with the Champ Pan. Based on what I have seen, it looks to be about the best option for someone wanting to use the "standard" location mounts.

My Champ pan should be here early next week. If I can get it mounted and a test-fit for the car, I will be sure to post up pics ASAP so you can see them.

Troy
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read the and looked at the pictures in the oil pan sticky but it didn't answer my questions. I was hoping to find some one to sell me used one cheap. I am willing to mod the car frame, the car is nothing special so mods won't hurt the value. Hoping someone has an extra they are willing to work a deal on.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Some have had good results with the MAST pan or the Holley pan. I am waiting on the new Street and Performance cast pan that is due to be released this week or next. I have spoken with Mark from S&P. I haven't checked back with him in a couple of weeks, but he said it should solve a lot of clearance issues.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

99VetteFRC - after I get my Champ Pan test-fit, I will certainly work a deal with you on my GM Musclecar oil pan.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,151 Posts

If you plan to lower your chevelle, stay away from the lh8, or gmpp muscle car pan. They hang too low, unless you raise the engine up, and that opens up a whole other can of worms. (driveline angle, cog, tranny tunnell clearance, etc.) I like the Holley pan. It's a kit, which means you get the dipstick, gasket, pickup tube, and fasteners, just like the gmpp kit, but it does not hang nearly as low. It will cost a couple hundred more, but it's worth it for the fit, in a lowered application.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have about 4" of clearance now with the BBC, so assuming the 4.8 weighs several hundred less (The BBC head probably weighs what the 4.8 block weighs- lol) so the car should raise a couple inches. At this point I am still looking for parts. I feel like I will never get started other than collecting parts.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your using the standard plate.. I would say no to the CTS-V.. The transition between the front sump and rear sump is the area that well come into contact with the Crossmember. Front what I saw on my setup.. you have to raise the engine some and move it rearward to get it to clear.

If your just trying to bolt in without any modification. you need to use a complete kit (Holley, Hooker, S&P, BRP) and use what they recommend. Any mix and matching, you well end out doing some modification, stick with one vendor or manufactor.

If you want a cast pan. Go with either the MAST or Holley. You well avoid many problems and well be compatiable with most kits.

Don't worry, you well get on to the swap in time..

BC
Old 02-03-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the lh8 pan in my 71. it does hang a little low with the BRP mounts, I had to add a deflector plate under my crossmember just in case and Iv hit a couple times. I have Eibach 1" springs all the way around. Im doing the same set up in my 66 and got the HOLLEY PAN, and it DOESN'T come with a dipstick, I also got it with the Holley/hooker stk mounts. I'll test fit it in a couple weeks....
Rick
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

I used the holley pan and it cleared everything after I raised the motor with 2 thin washers.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anyone can post pictures of how their pan hangs down below the crossmember it would be a huge help.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I have a CTS-V pan new in the box with windage tray, dipstick and tube I can sell.

I ended up using a Autokraft pan for better baffles and slightly easier to modify tie rod clearance on my 66.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a picture of my Chevelle with CTS-V pan.. Looks nice and clean !.. well it doesn't stay that way long, I've had to scrap road junk off and Asphalt from larger speed bump.. !

Hope it helps..(didn't I post this before for you !?)

BC
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I started my swap and ended up unbolting the frame stands and moving the engine back about 1 1/2". Then nothing fits the way I want it to. Guess it's onto another pan.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just ordered standard location mounts (Holley) Holley oil pan, hooker headers and Energy suspension tall motor mounts, should be here this week so i can tell you in a few weeks how this combo works out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holley pan fits good. I had a milldon and wanted to get back to a filter on the pan.

Sits even with the bottom of the crossmember

Tim

Quick Reply: Another oil pan help question.