Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Stand alone controllers ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? Stand alone controllers ?

I have ordered a Mast Motorsports engine, it comes with its own engine controller which will not cooperate with a transmission. I will be using a 4L60E, my question is...

- who has the best stand alone controller?
- do these controllers actually work well compared to the complete engine and trans ecm's?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Old 04-16-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use the tci TCU, and the t-com software. VERY easy to use and tune, only real bitch I have about it is the shift logic when it comes to the rpm threshold. Lets say the 1-2 shift set at 6200rpm at wot...AND u then shift yourself (via the shifter) at 6201rpm (for whatever reason) u will get no shift until it falls back to 6200rpm. This is unlike the factory pcm, where anything above 6200rpm would ground the shift solenoid. The TCI looks for EXACTLY 6200 (or what u set it to be).

That being said I am installing another tci TCU in a couple weeks, options like paddle or pushbutton shift and performance switch are nice, the latter I use for different shift thresholds on n2o.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the input Junk.

So essentially one should figure out the best WOT shift point for power and just leave it in drive, to let the controller do the work.

What about every day driving? Down shifting to pass and part throttle tip in, does the TCI controller work seemlessly with what your foot is doing?

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 67 church
Thank you for the input Junk.

So essentially one should figure out the best WOT shift point for power and just leave it in drive, to let the controller do the work. EXACTLY

What about every day driving? Down shifting to pass and part throttle tip in, does the TCI controller work seemlessly with what your foot is doing?

Thanks again!
Everyday driving is pretty damn good right out of the box (after going through the set-up wizard to set tire dia, gear ratio, trans type/config, etc.) but with the bigger cams u are going to want to raise lock-up speed and shift rpm points at WOT.

My only real bitch about it is if for whatever reason u are holding a gear manually and u shift 1rpm above where it's set....u get the limiter and no shift until u are out of the throttle enough to rpm back down to the set rpm. I was on the phone many times with many clueless "TECH" people at TCI and FAST only to discover they should not be breathing my air, let alone giving advice or answers to questions about their own products

I am pretty sure a software update will fix this, and there may be an even newer version of the t-com software out by now. My car always sticks the 60 hard and it stays in d3 for a pass at the track. There might be certain situations where holding it in 1st while feathering the throttle on the street, and this is where TCI's logic is fucked up. It should shift at "x" rpm OR above at wot if manual shift above that rpm....it does not.

If u know that going into it, u will be happy with it
Old 11-28-2014, 03:25 AM

hi guys i know its an old thread but i could use some help. i have the ez tcu behind my ls1 and 4l60e, tps signal is fine but i can not find an RPM signal for the tcu what did you guys do?

Quick Reply: ? Stand alone controllers ?