View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
colospgsTA
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to colospgsTA
Default Differential has major leaks and noise... (with pics)

Hey everyone, I am having some rear diff issues. To sum it up:

Recent drivetrain work:
9 months ago: new Competition stage 2 clutch
3 months ago: replaced rear diff fluid (Lucas Oil with GM additive)
1 month ago: T56, new 5th and 6th gear cluster, 5th gear, reverse syncro, and new shift pads (& new trans fluid)

Before I had the transmission fixed (5th and 6th went out), I had terrible noises coming from the rear when starting from a stop, and during slow shifting. I had to rev it up real good to get smooth engagement, and when I did not do that, the rear end sounded like it was trying to thrash out of its case. It felt like either the driveshaft was knocking the floorboard, or pieces of metal were grinding instantaneously against each other (pretty embarrassing in stop-and-go traffic on PCH). Each acceleration included one giant SMACK.

So this has gotten to be real annoying. The diff has been leaking bad for quite a while, but I have checked the fluid more than once and it always leaks out the fill plug when I loosen it indicating it is full. Tonight I inspected the entire axle. I saw typical leakage, EXCEPT the left rear axle was soaked, and fresh fluid had leaked out onto my rotor.

Is this related to the spider gears? I am wanting to get 4.10s real soon, and I have a feeling the ring and pinion is slipping, would this help at all? Our drivetrains scare the **** out of me... any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Click the image to open in full size.
^^^ this side is soaked, the R side is completely dry...

^^^ new and old fluid leaking along the torque arm

^^^ driveshaft spitting grime onto the undercarriage

1997 M6, UMI STB, Competition Clutch, CAI, LSS,
Dynomax Exhaust, fancy brakes,
!AIR, Tune by J.Solomon (AWESOME!)
http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/
colospgsTA is offline   Reply With Quote