General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help! Gas Won't Go IN Tank!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Gas Won't Go IN Tank!

My tank is low on gas, but when i try to put gas in, the nozzle just clicks like the tank is full! If i keep pressing the nozzle, the gas ends up all over the floor and my shoes! This has happened a couple of time already. I end up taking the car home and parking it. It ends up going in usually after i wait overnight or for a long while, but this is happening more and more often. Sometimes i have to try all day long (literally) before it goes in. The SES light also goes on and off.

Any advice on where to start checking? Or has anyone experienced this before?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

find out why your ses light is coming on. might have something to do with it. could be your sender went bad. Its saying your low on gas but still have a full tank and you cant fill a full tank. check thats stuff out.

Ski
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by grimm2420
My tank is low on gas, but when i try to put gas in, the nozzle just clicks like the tank is full! If i keep pressing the nozzle, the gas ends up all over the floor and my shoes! This has happened a couple of time already. I end up taking the car home and parking it. It ends up going in usually after i wait overnight or for a long while, but this is happening more and more often. Sometimes i have to try all day long (literally) before it goes in. The SES light also goes on and off.

Any advice on where to start checking? Or has anyone experienced this before?
I do remember reading a thread about this same issue. Try doing a search and you should come up with something. I know this is real vague, but it has come up in here in the past. Hope you figure it out!!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rebelord
find out why your ses light is coming on. might have something to do with it. could be your sender went bad. Its saying your low on gas but still have a full tank and you cant fill a full tank. check thats stuff out.

Ski
The fuel gauge is working fine, but the gas tank is definitely not full. I know this because i drive the car all week, and it needs gas when this happens.

This happened again last night btw. The car really needed gas but it wouldn't go in. I tried 3 different gas stations and different pumps. I even had my credit card get blocked because of this I just gave up and parked it for the night. Then i tried this morning and it went right in. One of these days its going to cause me to miss work.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humm, maybe your evaporative purge is not working, and causing pressure inside the tank? Did you ever get the code scanned?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

i would try this, turn the handle upside down. I have done this before, it seems to solve the issues with misbehaving filling issues.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grimes
Humm, maybe your evaporative purge is not working, and causing pressure inside the tank? Did you ever get the code scanned?
The SES light is not on right now. I'll get it scanned as soon as it comes back on, it always does.

Originally Posted by Guy2626c
i would try this, turn the handle upside down. I have done this before, it seems to solve the issues with misbehaving filling issues.
I've tried every angle already, its like something is blocking the gas from going in when it doesn't work.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

just because your ses light isnt on doesnt mean there isnt a code there. still go somewhere to get it read. should give you something. check it out see what it says. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Ski
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Launching!

sounds like the little check ball they put in to keep people from stealing gas is sticking and causing you to just fill up the line or something like that
Old 01-14-2006, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

i'm going to see if i can get the code checked out today if it's there. i'll let you guys know what turns out. i hope its something simple. This is my only car, i can't afford having it apart for longer than the weekend
Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

when i was in cali, i had problems a few times fillin up with yalls wierd nossles. it would do the exact same thing. i jsut said **** it and went to another station. never ever had a problem anywhere else
Old 01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm the guy that had the problem before and made a thread... but I still haven't solved it. My pump always fills to 7/8 tank and I have to continue holding unitl it clicks off for another 5 or 6 times before its full, and I have to keep going inside my car to see how high the gauge is. Filling up is a pain in the ***, and I don't know if my mpg calculations are accurate so it's pissing me off.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I recall a thread on ls2.com where a non-metallic prob was used to free the valve tippmann speaks of.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mpe488
I'm the guy that had the problem before and made a thread... but I still haven't solved it. My pump always fills to 7/8 tank and I have to continue holding unitl it clicks off for another 5 or 6 times before its full, and I have to keep going inside my car to see how high the gauge is. Filling up is a pain in the ***, and I don't know if my mpg calculations are accurate so it's pissing me off.
At least you can get some gas in. When its not working for me, my tank could be empty, with the gauge below the empty line, and gas will not go in. It's stopped me from going to places i needed to go before
Old 01-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Teching In

I have had the same problem in my 99 formula. Gas tank can be 3/4 full or empty and it will pump a couple cents worth of gas and click off. Sometime a new pump will work or i just mess with it untill i get a few dollars worth and try again later. Very frusturating though, can feel lame drivng up in a nice looking muscle car and look like an idiot who can't pump his own gas!! LOL
Must be the pumps we have out here in Cali........
kurt
Old 01-15-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure if it's only at the gas station I go to or others as well. But the station I go to is about 15 cents cheaper than anything else in the area so even if it's the station's fault it's worth it for the gas prices. As son as I find 93 anywhere else for 2.45 I'll try there and see if it actually is my station.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I get the same problem. It's only with short-nozzle gas stations. The problem started when I visited a shell with a reaaaally long nozzle. From then on, this problem happened with short nozzle stations. Like it messed something up in there.

This will happen even if the tank is empty and I did get a gas spill once with an empty tank.

I have "solved" it for now by inserting the nozzle in as far as it will go and pulling up on it as I fill the gas. This seems to work well enough "for now."

I would like to hear the fix on this one. Oh, and I have no SES lights going off.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Same problem on the 97 v6 and my 94 z28. No real fix, I just have to jiggle the handle a bit.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this problem for a while too. Gas pump nozzles haven't changed since the 50's, they shut off after fluid (gas) reaches a certain level on the nose of the pump which is continually sucking in air. Since the release activates with pressure, wouldn't the problem be built up fumes, pressure, or whatever in the gas tank?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Bump. Somebody's got to have an answer for this...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Gas Won't Go IN Tank!