Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Lobe aggressiveness and valvespring selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lobe aggressiveness and valvespring selection

Alright hopefully this is advanced tech...

Lazy lobes (Comp Magnum we'll say) don't need much spring pressure to control the valvetrain. Aggressive lobes (Comp XE-R?) require much more spring pressure to control the valvetrain. So where does the size of the cam (duration wise) fit into the valvespring requirements? Lets say we have a 260/260 adv duration cam with XE-R lobes. Then we have a 310/310 adv duration cam with XE-R lobes. Assuming a proportional amount of lift increase on the larger cam, how does the spring requirement change? Is it strictly the shape of the lobe that determines the spring, or does the overall size of the lobe (same shape though) change things?

Sorry if the question has a lot of generalities, I'm on the LT1 side of things and don't know any common LS1 grinds to put things in perspective.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The spring needs to work with the lift and the valve speed. You need more spring load to control the valve the faster it goes and the spring needs to be setup so it can accomdate the lift you have.

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Alright hopefully this is advanced tech...

Lazy lobes (Comp Magnum we'll say) don't need much spring pressure to control the valvetrain. Aggressive lobes (Comp XE-R?) require much more spring pressure to control the valvetrain. So where does the size of the cam (duration wise) fit into the valvespring requirements? Lets say we have a 260/260 adv duration cam with XE-R lobes. Then we have a 310/310 adv duration cam with XE-R lobes. Assuming a proportional amount of lift increase on the larger cam, how does the spring requirement change? Is it strictly the shape of the lobe that determines the spring, or does the overall size of the lobe (same shape though) change things?

Sorry if the question has a lot of generalities, I'm on the LT1 side of things and don't know any common LS1 grinds to put things in perspective.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

right so we're just talking about ramp rates, and obviously the max lift of the cam, but not duration at all?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think duration does anything exactly. If anything longer lobes in duration can probably be a little smoother.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by racer7088
I dont think duration does anything exactly. If anything longer lobes in duration can probably be a little smoother.
yea that's what i was thinking, made sense in my head, just because there's more area to the lobe, whereas the size of the roller on the lifter stays the same size.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple

get a function of the valve lift by nomial regression and fourier, multiply by rocker arm ratio, derive twice to get acceleration curve, drive one more time and set =0 to find max accel, use that acceleration in newton's laws to find total load at some rpm................................

add some safety factor.

dun.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

last i heard, LSK lobes were the most aggreesive offered by CC for hydro roller cams.

Quick Reply: Lobe aggressiveness and valvespring selection