Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Something wierd going on.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something wierd going on.

Okay, having a bit of an issue with my Camaro.

For those who hate reading, I made the important stuff in bold.

Let me go ahead and give a description of the issues.

1.) Before I start the engine, all of my gauges light up, for some reason it shows my left turn signal as being on, and my high beams turn on. (Which is really weird.) Also, my tach, oil pressure gauge, fuel gauge, etc. peg to the right and slowly come back down.

2.) All this happened this morning on the way to work. As I pulled out of the parking lot, engine was sputtering and the gauges were lighting up and pegging out. I got to the first intersection on the way there and when the light turned green the car stalled. It would not restart for a few seconds and I had to give it a lot of gas to get it to do so.

3.) Eventually after deciding to not go to work, I decided to try and get it to Autozone to test out the Alternator and Battery. They were fine. However, as I left, the car stalled out and would not restart AT ALL. Got it towed to a shop.

4.) Guy working on my car has plenty of experience on F-Bodys and hes just as stumped as I am. He found that the fuel pump is either broken or not working and my spark plugs are not firing.

A bit of background story about the car:

Its a 99 Z28 with a LS2 crate swap in it. It recently had the stock ls1 intake manifold and throttle body on the LS2 motor, but I had the LS2 intake and throttle body put on it yesterday, so this is definitely a problem related to that.

So, Sensor problem? Alternator problem? Wiring problem?

I've checked fuses, they're all good. I've also checked my sensors on the TB and intake, they're all connected.

Need more info? Post a reply.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd start checking all your grounds....specially the grounds on the back of the driverside head. Sounds exactly like a ground issue
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, you were exactly right. Looked back there and two of my grounds were corroded and broken. Replaced them and made backup grounds for them. Now it runs like a champ!

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. Not an AT topic, but I've been gone for a week. Looks like the OP got his answer, so all's good.

Quick Reply: Something wierd going on.