Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Another Cad request(pistol grip shifter)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another Cad request(pistol grip shifter)

I'm currently enrolled in an entry level cad class and am looking for a side project to do to try and get ahead of my work. I don't have a pistol grip shifter in my car but I think it'd be really cool to model as one of my first projects. Basically I'd need someone with a pistol grip shifter to take dimensions for me so I can draw it. The hardest dimensions to take would be the width between the back of the pistol grip to where your fingers lie. The basic dimensions I'd need are shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Another Cad request(pistol grip shifter)-pistolgripshifter.png  
Old 02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cad is prolly not the best program to make 3d rendering for that, try inventor
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
cad is prolly not the best program to make 3d rendering for that, try inventor
or even solidworks.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

I'm actually using solidworks. I plan on attempting to mess around with it over the weekend so I may just have to do a deep google search to get some get some base dimensions
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your making one how about you make it you your liking.. I would use clay and form it to my hand the way I like it. Finish off the excess and make it perfect. Then get dimensions of it... FYI most these company's have copyright laws and would be highly illegal to make copy's of there work while you still live in America. I did this in high school awhile ago and my Vocational school had a cnc machine for me to use.. I'll search for pictures but it came out quite nice for what it was. You can pick up all the tools to measure with at a local harbor fright for 10$.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Imstock2
If your making one how about you make it you your liking.. I would use clay and form it to my hand the way I like it. Finish off the excess and make it perfect. Then get dimensions of it... FYI most these company's have copyright laws and would be highly illegal to make copy's of there work while you still live in America. I did this in high school awhile ago and my Vocational school had a cnc machine for me to use.. I'll search for pictures but it came out quite nice for what it was. You can pick up all the tools to measure with at a local harbor fright for 10$.
Thanks for the input. I was just trying to get an idea of the dimensions first before I attempted to tackle the project but I'm definitely going to do that clay idea.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Imstock2
Not entirely true

You can reverse engineer anything you want, its when you slap your name on it and sell it for profit when copyright laws get upset

Quick Reply: Another Cad request(pistol grip shifter)