Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

dart LS next block free up hp or is it a myth and some dry sump questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dart LS next block free up hp or is it a myth and some dry sump questions

so there are multiple benefits to the dart block but im curious about the hype on freed up power from reduced windage but would this be much if you have a vacuum pump for the crank case? 7500 on pump gas not alcohol so there wont be as much blow by

and would the less oil required for operation mean I would need a less expensive dry sump pump for a dart block?

also not related to the block but the stages listed for dry sump pumps for running more flow or add-ons like turbos or both ?

Im kind of set on the dart block because of its 4.2 bore capability this more or less for curiosity
Old 08-18-2014, 11:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Dart block

The Dart block, with no extended side skirts, is made similar to the small block where you can run a kick out oil pan and crank scraper to reduce windage losses. Anything you can do to keep the oil mist away from the crank will lower parasitic drag. This is true whether you use a dry sump, or vacuum pump. The Mopar Pro Stock blocks were modified in similar fashion which was required to make them competitive in power to the GM blocks.

The oiling system is designed to minimize leakage thereby reducing the oil volume needed on the pressure side. It doesn't mean you can run a cheaper pump, just one with a smaller pressure stage than you would need with a stock type block.

The number of scavenge sections depends on the application.

I've been working with Dart on the aluminum version of the block which will be offered with Darton MID sleeves. Max. bore on the MID is 4.200". It is a lot lighter but a lot more expensive than the iron version.

Steve

Originally Posted by Pontiac Cat64
so there are multiple benefits to the dart block but im curious about the hype on freed up power from reduced windage but would this be much if you have a vacuum pump for the crank case? 7500 on pump gas not alcohol so there wont be as much blow by

and would the less oil required for operation mean I would need a less expensive dry sump pump for a dart block?

also not related to the block but the stages listed for dry sump pumps for running more flow or add-ons like turbos or both ?

Im kind of set on the dart block because of its 4.2 bore capability this more or less for curiosity
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply I would love a aluminum block but being fresh out of school the iron block is a lot of money haha but its still a good deal,

is it wise to bore the lsnext block to 4.200, Im making a 421ci set up and the smaller the crank the better because of reduced piston speed and friction
but will it lower block strength and when I rebuild it will I be taking a chance that ill need to get another block

will there be a noticeable difference in parasitic loss between a dart block and LSX block booth with dry sump and a vacuum pump ?

also im curious how you determine the number of savaging sections?
im building an NA/nitrious set up with over 1100 hp I want 1000rwhp

Quick Reply: dart LS next block free up hp or is it a myth and some dry sump questions