Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Valve Spring Component's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Spring Component's

I'm currently in a delima of matching my valves to valve locks to spring retainers. This delima has halted my top end rebuild, and while I wait for the holidays to pass so I can resume my project, I thought I would start a new discussion to help me and others when it comes to matching these components.

Valve locks:
I've learned there are several types of valve locks, 7*, super 7, 10*, etc... that of which you can have stamped, machined, titanium, etc.. that of which you can have grooves that are conventional, bead loc, etc...

1) Are the 7*, super 7, and 10* designations industry standards? Meaning, if you have a 7* valve lock, will it fit all 7* retainers so long as you use a matching valve stem width?

2) Assuming a 0.3125" valve stem with a bead lock design, would/should a 7/super7/10 valve lock with a bead lock groove fit the valve stem with out further modification?

Spring Retainers:
Spring retainers are matched to the springs based on outside and inside diameters of the spring(s). Assuming you are using a double spring, how do you go about matching a retainer to a spring?

1) OD of retainer > OD of outer spring
How much larger should the OD of the retainer be than the OD of the outer spring?

2) OD of Retainer 1st step < ID of outer spring
How much smaller should the OD of the 1st step be than the ID of the outer spring?

3) OD of retainer 2nd step < ID of inner spring
How much smaller should the OD of the 2nd step be than the ID of the inner spring?

4) How far should the retainer's steps protrude into the respective coils of the spring?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
I'm currently in a delima of matching my valves to valve locks to spring retainers. This delima has halted my top end rebuild, and while I wait for the holidays to pass so I can resume my project, I thought I would start a new discussion to help me and others when it comes to matching these components.

Valve locks:
I've learned there are several types of valve locks, 7*, super 7, 10*, etc... that of which you can have stamped, machined, titanium, etc.. that of which you can have grooves that are conventional, bead loc, etc...

1) Are the 7*, super 7, and 10* designations industry standards? Meaning, if you have a 7* valve lock, will it fit all 7* retainers so long as you use a matching valve stem width?

Yes they are designations that the industry has. They come from the included angle of the keeper itself. Std 7 are lock specific and retainer specific. Super 7's and 10's are lock specific but use common retainers for each desination and valve stem size does not play a part. The thickness of the lock changes.

2) Assuming a 0.3125" valve stem with a bead lock design, would/should a 7/super7/10 valve lock with a bead lock groove fit the valve stem with out further modification?

Lock ID dimension is specific to valve stem OD. MOST CRITICAL IS LOCK ANGLE AND RETAINER INNER ANGLE MUST BE THE SAME. IF NOT THE LOCK WILL FAIL AND WORSE CASE PINCH THE HEAD OF THE VALVE OFF.

Spring Retainers:
Spring retainers are matched to the springs based on outside and inside diameters of the spring(s). Assuming you are using a double spring, how do you go about matching a retainer to a spring?

1) OD of retainer > OD of outer spring
How much larger should the OD of the retainer be than the OD of the outer spring?
The same OD or smaller. Larger would not hurt anything but you can run into retainer/rocker interference.

2) OD of Retainer 1st step < ID of outer spring
How much smaller should the OD of the 1st step be than the ID of the outer spring?
Should just fit with slight pressure to install.

3) OD of retainer 2nd step < ID of inner spring
How much smaller should the OD of the 2nd step be than the ID of the inner spring?

Same as 2 but can be a tad looser. Retainer fitment along with spring base control the spring from "dancing".

4) How far should the retainer's steps protrude into the respective coils of the spring?
Varies, just need to check for guide to retainer clearance which includes seal. This number must be greater then net valve lift. If not you will have major problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Varies, just need to check for guide to retainer clearance which includes seal. This number must be greater then net valve lift. If not you will have major problems.
Excellent point. I hadn't considered that aspect.

I was more curious because I have two sets of retainers for the springs I'm using. On one set, the 2nd step protrudes much deeper into the spring than the set I will be using. I can help but think there is some engineering marvel behind the lengths of the steps...

Quick Reply: Valve Spring Component's