Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

High frequency distillation of fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High frequency distillation of fuel...

I was talking to a self-proclaimed car nut the other day and he mentioned some things he's done to a few of his old cars to up power production and fuel economy... He says he's found a cheap way to atomize fuel better before it is introduced into the combustion chamber by using alarm clock speakers. Before you laugh, I looked it up and found that high frequency distillation is used in humidifiers to create water vapor. Why couldn't you do the same with fuel? He's only utilized this in carbureted applications and I guess it wouldn't really work with port fuel injection. What do you guys think? Does the idea have any credibility?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Teching In

One of my teachers was saying if you put a magnet around the fuel line it can also help with fuel atomization, however on a fuel injected car there is something like a 1-2% improvement at the most, so its basically pointless. I would imagine that the magnets in the speakers are causing the effect he is refering to more than the actual sound, I don't really see the frequency being high enough for the improved atomization. But basically, yes, the idea is somewhat credible, there just won't really be very noticable results.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wasnt smokey doing something like that in a fiero a long long time ago??
Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
wasnt smokey doing something like that in a fiero a long long time ago??
this just came to me out of nowhere.... i think he was using spinning brushes, not speakers... to whip up the fuel into a fine mist......

i just wish i remembered where i read this from.... id love to quote it in here.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The speaker idead sounds credible, but the magnet around the fuel line, I don't believe.
With the speaker, at a loud enough volume, you could "break" apart the little fuel particles suspended in the air.
The question is how much benefit there is compared to cost and packaging.