Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

a few body/ aerodynamics qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few body/ aerodynamics qs

hey ya'll

i have an average understanding of aerodynamics but im far from an expert so i have a few questions. on the corvette c6.r they have the huge opening in the hood for the radiator, i understand that is there to prevent an excess of airmovement within/underneath the body and therefore helps with downforce (i know verry simplified but pretty much the point to it) then there are a series of littler openings on top of the fenders, i dont quite understand what those are for, are they there to remove excess air also? i hope that this question isnt to basic for the advanced tech section but i couldnt find an aerodynamics section and probably wouldnt have gotten the answers i was looking for under apearance.

thanks guys (and gals)
john
Attached Thumbnails a few body/ aerodynamics qs-corvettec6r05_11.jpg  
Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the rad vent is present on most race setups. it moves the hot air back into the airflow nice and smoothly. it does help with the aerodynamics.

as for the vent in the fenders, thats also to reduce lift. you often find that fenders gather high presure air. now this air cant go anywhere so it just sits there. this isn't normally a probelm in a road setup but in a race car it makes a BIG differance! they went this area to help reduce this effect and help keep the front end planted!

for some more examples of these things google the lotus eleise and any prototype LM car.

thanks CHris.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice i had wondered the same thing.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

thanks, i had thought that it was something along those lines, im familiar with the elise (and exige), thanks alot for the help, i like knowing that im not to far off on these things.
john
Old 05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

The radiators on the C6R are tilted foward. That large opening is behind the radiator.

This opening has two functions: 1- better cooling 2- prevents aerodynamic lift.

The hood is acts like a huge parashutte when air passes into the grill and though the radiator. Normal Corvettes are bottom breathers, air goes in though the condensor and radiator and back down under the engine.

If air moves into the engine bay the underside of the hood traps this air and can cause lift at higher speeds and air pressures. So the hood vents prevent this lift , cool the engine bay and the helps air pass though the radiator.

HTH

Quick Reply: a few body/ aerodynamics qs