Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Shades of VHT help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shades of VHT help

i recently did the CETA mod to the bumper on my arctic white T/A and it looks great. now i want to do something to the red in the rear. i want to blackout the 3rd brake light and sidemarkers with VHT. but my taillights i dont want them totally black just a little less noticable red. with VHT is it blackout right away or the shade gets darker as you put more coats on?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It gets darker as you apply more coats. One coat may be all you need to knock the red down a bit. Always easier to apply another coat.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by futuref-body
i recently did the CETA mod to the bumper on my arctic white T/A and it looks great. now i want to do something to the red in the rear. i want to blackout the 3rd brake light and sidemarkers with VHT. but my taillights i dont want them totally black just a little less noticable red. with VHT is it blackout right away or the shade gets darker as you put more coats on?
the more coats you put the darker they get. i put like 7 coats on my marker lights but thet look pitch black. so i would probably only do about 3 coats on your lights if you want them just a lil darker. and be careful with this stuff cuz it runs like no other but it seems to even itself out overtime. or at least it did when i used it. post some pics when your done. goodluck.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just do a couple coats until its the shade you want and then your straight son
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Default (Warning... Tooting my own horn)

This is about 6 coats (Black, which I wanted.) Three or less coats will be barely tinted, just make sure you do really light coats. The first one should not cover the whole light. Do both at the same time for even coverage. I'd day the most important thing is to do 4-6 coats of clear on top of the nightshades and wetsand to 1500grit and polish afterwords. They'll come out looking like this...

Quick Reply: Shades of VHT help