Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best aftermarket ws6 hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best aftermarket ws6 hood?

What is your guys/gals opinions on the best aftermarket ws6 hood for the trans am? Im looking for one thats got the best fit and is fully functional. I saw a trufiber hood on ebay but, Im not sure how good it is. Anyone here bought an aftermarket one? what do ya think about it?
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

plenty of pleople have bought after market hoods, from several different sellers, and all are going to have different experiences. the main brands i seem to hear are vfn and roger at U.S. exotics (i know nothing about this guy- all i seem to hear is that people dont get what they ordered), and trufiber. i would have probably gone one of those routes, but i dont have a grand to drop on a hood (remember you gotta get it painted to match- my paint job was $450). many people (many who have NO experience with them) will bash ebay hoods. i cant speak for anyone else or about any other hood brands but i have bought 2 hoods from ebay seller hoods4sale for rediculously low prices, and i love both of them, and the body guy i had do them said they werent too bad to work with, and they line up really good, no huge, or really uneven gaps at all. and they are both fully functional (you have to tell the seller you want them cut open to be functional- extra $30). So i personally have had 2 great experiences with them. both cars have gone up to around 90-100mph with these hoods, no problems, so i personally see nothing wrong with them. -fully functional/ look great/ unbeatable price...what else could you ask for

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-18-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

^Thanks crimson at least I have a better idea of where to start looking.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it was me, i would put a firehawk hood on it. I think it looks tons better. i know that doesn't answer your question, but that's my .02
Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

x1000000000000 fpr the firehawk hood, i am a WS6 guy, but i HATE the WS6 hood. Makes the car look like it has buckteeth IMO. A Firehawk hood it the best IMO.

That being said, onto your question. I would just make sure the nostril opening are not cheesy looking. Some look like factory, some look like a random rectangle cut out of a not so square opening. The Nostrils on factory hoods are actually inserts, like little sleeves that fit into the hood opening. I believe there's only ONE aftermarket company that actually produces them like that, and theyre the best. But i cant remember the name. And then 2nd best, are the companies that score where there SHOULD be an insert, even though there isnt one. They at lease LOOK legit.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hands down for aftermarket, VFN or joe van O hoods. I have VFN's extended and sloped ws6 pin on. Fitment is excellent
Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by evilZO6
The Nostrils on factory hoods are actually inserts, like little sleeves that fit into the hood opening. I believe there's only ONE aftermarket company that actually produces them like that, and theyre the best. But i cant remember the name. And then 2nd best, are the companies that score where there SHOULD be an insert, even though there isnt one. They at lease LOOK legit.
that is the one thing i noticed with the after markets that i didnt even notice until i had already had mine for a couple weeks. after looking at some pics of some cars i noticed the slits and realized i didnt have them, but honestly i like mine the way it is smoothed out. but as far as buying an aftermarket goes, i wouldnt concern myself with that little appearance difference, just so i can say mine is more like an actual ws6 hood. to anybody other than someone who owns a true ws6, they will never notice that. i didnt even notice it after looking at dozens of ws6's before getting my trans am, or even when looking for my hood. and i guarantee many people reading my comment and yours have no clue what we're talking about.

since everyone else is chiming in about hood choices, id check out one of the others as well. the reason i got the ws6 was because i knew when i bought it that i was going to put the ram air black checkered flag stripes on it, and i love the way the hood looks with the stripes- without them (which i only had for about 4 hours. time between bringing the car home from the paint shop and when i installed the stripes) i really was not a huge fan of the overall appearance. withouht stripes of some sort i dont think it looks that great, where as the firehawk still look great.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-18-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

SLP Ram Air H.O. hood, no longer made iirc, but sometimes you'll see used ones put up for sale. Best looking hood for 4th gen Birds imo, but I'm partial.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

I like the firehawk hoods and I have a firehawk but, I really want a ws6 hood for my 2000 t/a. The slp hood looks really good but, the prices ive seen on them arent cheap.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I just got mine delivered from vfn a couple days ago, car is at the body shop now, they seem impressed so far, but have not test fit it yet, i can let you know how it turns out when its done
Old 11-19-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
that is the one thing i noticed with the after markets that i didnt even notice until i had already had mine for a couple weeks. after looking at some pics of some cars i noticed the slits and realized i didnt have them, but honestly i like mine the way it is smoothed out. but as far as buying an aftermarket goes, i wouldnt concern myself with that little appearance difference, just so i can say mine is more like an actual ws6 hood. to anybody other than someone who owns a true ws6, they will never notice that. i didnt even notice it after looking at dozens of ws6's before getting my trans am, or even when looking for my hood. and i guarantee many people reading my comment and yours have no clue what we're talking about.

since everyone else is chiming in about hood choices, id check out one of the others as well. the reason i got the ws6 was because i knew when i bought it that i was going to put the ram air black checkered flag stripes on it, and i love the way the hood looks with the stripes- without them (which i only had for about 4 hours. time between bringing the car home from the paint shop and when i installed the stripes) i really was not a huge fan of the overall appearance. withouht stripes of some sort i dont think it looks that great, where as the firehawk still look great.

Its the little details that count!!! I just think they look better, but they aren't completely necessary either. Your car looks just fine
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

why thank you. makes me feel all worm inside. but i do know what you mean about details like that, because at first i was like wtf, how come i dont have those? but then, i came to the conclusion it really wasnt that big a deal. but i still some times look at ws6 hoods and wish i had it.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

I have a Harwood hood, and other than a few minor differences, it is one of the closest matching to a real WS6 hood. I will probably be selling it and getting another hood though. After owning my Firehawk, I love that hood and want one on my TA.

Pics of my hood, I can get better ones if you wanted.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like my superhawk hood and yes i did get it from roger at u.s. exotics i had been chasing one for almost 3 years but i finally got it and love it!! pic of it installed but not painted is in my sig
Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HWI
SLP Ram Air H.O. hood, no longer made iirc, but sometimes you'll see used ones put up for sale. Best looking hood for 4th gen Birds imo, but I'm partial.
+1 on the SLP Ram Air H.O. I'm also partial, but I think it's always cool when people ask what kind of hood. You RARELY see these hoods any more, and I think that adds to the cool factor
Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the slp HO hood is the best looking and I was on slp's site and I think they still sell the hood only but no airbox.

Quick Reply: Best aftermarket ws6 hood?