Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who tints their own windows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who tints their own windows?

I want to tint the windows on my DD, so the question is what tools and what should I prep the windows with? I want it to look good, but I am too damn stubborn to let anyone else do it! Thanks. TJ
Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

1) let someone else do it- shouldn't be too expensive, will look perfect since that is their occupation. and you will have a life-time warranty at any reputable shop

But, it really isnt that hard if you choose to do it your self, did it before (sort of). for prep, just get a good blade to scrape the windows clean while using a good soap/water solution. make sure the windows are clean of everything, and then wipe dry.
-the only materials you will need are
1) sopy/water solution- a full spray bottle, you'll use a lot (for the initial cleaning, and for the install)
2) a good/small squegee
3) a razor blade for cutting the tint to the shape of your window
4) a blade that you will use for cleaning the windows
5) heat gun/blow dryer- a must
6) your tint- make sure when you buy it you get the "curved" tint. it will specifically be labeled. they sell a regular tint that is straight (for windows with no curve- you don't want that- it wont work as easy with camaro/firebird windows because their shape.)- i bought the non-curved tint, and that is the only reason i didn't finish. i couldnt get it to adhere in the top 3/4 of the window.

for install directions- they are listed on the tint package when you buy it. and i'm sure you can go on youtube and find some videos of how to tint, but that shouldnt be necessary. the install is the same as pretty much the same as doing stripes (which i've done for both of my cars), the only difference really is that you have to cut the shape yourself. but it really isnt that hard....but i still probably wouldn't do it again
Old 12-02-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man, but it is going on my Subaru 2.5gt. I think the only curve is the back window. Great writeup!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Crimson pretty much covered it! I tinted my own windows on my '95 T/A, my wifes SUV and friends vehicles. My '98 T/A had a professional Tint job on it.

Here's some pics of my '95:

-Justin
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

did my own too, on both my cars. The hardest part is cutting the tint to the curve of your window, seach the vids on youtube by "monkeysee"?? i think thats what i used. PREP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP. i used to detail professionally at a shop that tinted also so ive seen it done many times. Make sure that window clean clean clean and do it in an area with absolutely no wind
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tinted my car....... buttt w/ my dad ******* mowing the lawn on a hot summer day the ******* dust went into the film...........so it came out like **** on the passenger window.. but I did my ttops, front window top part, and the side windows, I didnd't do the rear window cause I thought a professional would do it right and it came out like **** on the dot matrix
Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy and I have tinted 2 F-Bodys with $27 eBay kits. All 3 pieces are precut absolutely perfectly. We took our time and did the doors one night after work and the rear hatch on a Saturday.

The rear hatch is a TON of work (at least it was for us). It's cut from one piece of stretchable tint so working out the air bubbles and stretching it to the complex curvature of the rear glass takes a lot of time and A LOT of patience. We even went so far as to take the rear hatch off the car and hang it in the garage. This way your not laying upside down in the back of the car for hours on end.

I also painted the dot matrix so I wouldn't get air bubbles under the tint. Worked out great.

Some install Pics:

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

^came out good, but id NEVER attempt the rear window. i paid 100 for the rear and it took 45 minutes to wait, and i'm perfectly fine with that. and with a life-time warranty i'll never have to worry about it again.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Like crimson bird said, just get someone else to do it. That way you don't risk messing up and you get a warranty....
Old 12-03-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree that you should take it to a pro, I had my whole car done for like $110. If you decide to do it yourself, the best of luck to you.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I just got my front windows done today and they look awesome. it took them like 30 mins to finish the job....
Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to tint for at a dealership. After tinting a few F-bodys, definitely let someone who knows what they're doing install it. I had been doing it for a few years and I screwed up a few times. The most important part is making sure you get a good shrink on the doors, and the back window SUCKS
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had someone do my windows, I only paid 160 for my windows to be done and it only took two hours.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See I just don't trust anyone else to work on my car. In my experience with shops the employee's don't treat it like their own car. They just want to get it good enough to get it out the door and go home. And they're just people. If they can do it, there's no reason I can't either.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks alot guy and the ones who posted DIY pictures.....Awesome job and looks professional! I am going to attemp it. Hell its only money if I screw it up. Better than wondering what if I did try!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Lotus289
See I just don't trust anyone else to work on my car. In my experience with shops the employee's don't treat it like their own car. They just want to get it good enough to get it out the door and go home. And they're just people. If they can do it, there's no reason I can't either.
Just watch them do it, that's what I did. You can also use the internet to look at reviews of shops in your area. Don't be too paranoid
Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont trust anyone either, the guy I have tint my windows lets me watch him when he tints my windows. I trust him now and leave my car with him.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Lotus289
yea.... who needs a doctor, dentist, lawyer...they're just regular people, i can fix my own broken arm and defend myself in court just fine...

its not like they say drop your car off and kick you out the door. everytime i've gotten my windows done i have sat there and watched. if you go to a reputable shop, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
yea.... who needs a doctor, dentist, lawyer...they're just regular people, i can fix my own broken arm and defend myself in court just fine...

its not like they say drop your car off and kick you out the door. everytime i've gotten my windows done i have sat there and watched. if you go to a reputable shop, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
True, but I'm not talking about something that takes years of education and training to learn, I'm talking about automotive repair and modification. Nothing that requires more than just a little bit of research. You can't compare medical practice to automotive work. Doing a cam swap, pulling a motor, tinting a window, installing a clutch, this is all stuff that any normal person with a moderate amount of skill, knowledge, and patience can do.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will definetely take it to a shop

Quick Reply: Who tints their own windows?