Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Interior "CAMARO" Dash Badge

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom Interior "CAMARO" Dash Badge

I've started to put my own personal touch on the interior of my 00 SS and my current project idea is to somehow drill out the word "CAMARO" cleanly and precisely out of the badge above the radio and put a couple blue LEDs behind it, so it doesnt look tacky during the day, and looks awesome, lit up, at night. Probably wire the LEDs in line with the parking lights or something.

A few problems I've encountered:

Drilling out the letters wouldn't look the same, considering the area inside the A's and O will now float...

It'l be a bitch to make such a clean cut on the badge, no matter how I go about it. I've considered a drill with a small bit, but I'm afraid of the outcome not being clean enough, nor precise. I even asked the waterjet guy at work and he doesnt think 10,000 PSI of water is a good idea for a piece of plastic he cant really clamp onto, in the first place.

Another idea pitched to me was to try and create a new one out of metal or plexiglass and glue it permanently onto the bezel, considering its too tedious to put some sort of clips on the back like the stock one has.

Anyone have any ideas at all? Any comments are appreciated.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Launching!

machine shop with a cnc mill or a regular mill with amachinist with a steady hand can help you for a price on cutting the letters if you want perfection. then get a small piece of plexiglass to back it and keep the centers of the letters in place. Should also help disperse the light from the led's too
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

If Im understanding you right this might be just what youre looking for www.humount.com
Old 12-02-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i got a good idea for you. let me try to find the thread
Old 12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

i thought the thread i was looking for was on LS1tech, but after looking through all the stickies in appearance, paint, and electronics, i remembered it was on LS1.com.
- http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39276

i saw this thread over a year ago and really wanted to do it (still might), unfortunately the pics dont work anymore. but it seems like you could use the same idea for your project. dremel the letters out. and then use the plexi-glass backing the same way. that way you can still have the center section of the "A" and "O" letters.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

thanks crimson ill definitely see if i cant incorporate that into what im trying to do

drop top - yes! that is veryyyyy close! i only meant the 'camaro' badge just above the radio, but that opens my mind to more possibilities! the only thing that killed me there was roughly a 90 dollar price tag for something i can probably do for less.. :-\ thanks though, its a good start
Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

somebody has actually done this already. i know i've seen it. it may be cobrahunter, but i'm not sure. but i'm positive i've seen it. try searching cardomain
Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there was a thread on this but i cant find it anymore. a guy took the stock piece and made a clear mold of it then painted it black i think leaving the camaro unpainted. i think the guy got sick and didnt get to finish it.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

hmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

i knew i had seen somebody who did that already. just so happens that it's someone who's also done the lit up rear CAMARO letters as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...aro-light.html -check out the vid towards the end, it shows his interior lit CAMARO logo. maybe trying sending him a PM for more info. and check the 2nd page for some pics. and heres another person who did the rear letters: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ght-panel.html -may help give you more ideas
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

thx man, i appreciate it - thats EXACTLY it

Quick Reply: Custom Interior "CAMARO" Dash Badge