Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default condensation

I am getting some condensation in my passenger reverse light lens. I am wondering, is it the seal that the bulb makes with the lens or is it the lens itself that allows the moisture in. Also can the reverse light lens be replaced on it`s own?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lense cant be replaced on its own. i also have the same prob but on the driver side. ive put a thicker gasket. plus some sealent and it still get cond in it. im thinkin mine might be the seal on the lense. but i havent really checked at all yet. im thinkin about drillin a couple tiny holes to let air circulate thru
Old 12-10-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine used to also---new taillights and no condensation..............
Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

It is the lens itself. Had the same prob so I went around each lens from the outside with glue (super glue), sanded them with very light abrassive sand paper and could have cleared the whole lens but I sprayed my turn signal and reverse lights translucent red and then cleared the whole lens. This did take some time but the result was very nice and have not seen condensation since I did this a year ago.I know the clear is what sealed them and done right they shine quite nicely.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WFC97
It is the lens itself. Had the same prob so I went around each lens from the outside with glue (super glue), sanded them with very light abrassive sand paper and could have cleared the whole lens but I sprayed my turn signal and reverse lights translucent red and then cleared the whole lens. This did take some time but the result was very nice and have not seen condensation since I did this a year ago.I know the clear is what sealed them and done right they shine quite nicely.
Mine also has the same problem, next spring I will try the super glue trick.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this problem on my passengr side taillight, and my dad came up with a pretty easy fix.

Just take the taillight assembly out and drill a couple holes in the bottom, black, plastic part. I drilled three 1/4 inch holes, and the problem was solved. No condensation since I did that a year ago. You cant tell the holes are there.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

An easy temp fix would be to put the car in reverse and let the bulbs heat up the condensation and evaporate it.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried that, but it is alot faster and easier to push a paper towel into the opening where the bulb goes then just pull it out.

I was getting condensation in the entire assembly, but I could only see it in the reverse lights.

Quick Reply: condensation