Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Im looking for TA "Low rise" to "High rise" spoiler how to.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Im looking for TA "Low rise" to "High rise" spoiler how to.....

I have a 96 ta that came with a low rise spoiler,,, I want to switch to the high rise,,, i heard I need to swap the whole hatch... is this true?? and do i need the full high rise hatch including glass,,,, how is the glass attached to the hatch? Has anyone done this and is there any good how to threads around. thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of people have done it on here. Just switch the whole hatch, ive seen them for sale complete for 75 bucks.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Is the low rise attached to the hatch like on a Firebird? Or is it a Firehawk spoiler? If its a Firehawk style then you just need to get a high rise, but if not then you need the entire hatch.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by go-t
Is the low rise attached to the hatch like on a Firebird? Or is it a Firehawk spoiler? If its a Firehawk style then you just need to get a high rise, but if not then you need the entire hatch.
He specifically said '96 T/A, so I would assume it has the 'Firebird/Formula' style spoiler on it now. Which is kinda surprising. I wonder if it was a Formula & someone added the T/A front bumper & side skirts. Or it was a T/A & someone replaced the hatch before because of an accident or something.
I don't believe the 1996 T/A's had the low-rise hatch available from the factory.
(Well, I guess I was wrong, ..., but man enough to admit it, ..., at least that's what my wife keeps tellin' my anyway, ..., that I was wrong, ...)

Whole Hatch.
Done.

Last edited by PontiacFan; 01-26-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
.....I heard I need to swap the whole hatch... is this true??
Yes, it's true. You need to swap the entire hatch. If you have a common color (like red/white/black) your job is pretty easy since you can just find one off a T/A that's the same color and swap it straight up.

.....and do i need the full high rise hatch including glass,,,, how is the glass attached to the hatch?
It would be easiest on you if you got one with the glass installed. The glass is basically held in with a kind of glue (I believe it's called Ribbon Sealer) so it would need to be installed by a professional if the glass is not in it.

Has anyone done this and is there any good how to threads around. thanks
Do a quick search, many have done this swap. Like this guy.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
He specifically said '96 T/A, so I would assume it has the 'Firebird/Formula' style spoiler on it now. Which is kinda surprising. I wonder if it was a Formula & someone added the T/A front bumper & side skirts. Or it was a T/A & someone replaced the hatch before because of an accident or something.
I don't believe the 1996 T/A's had the low-rise hatch available from the factory.

Whole Hatch.
Done.
Seen them been replace in wrecks a lot, even in the ls1 cars with lt1 style lights etc etc. Point is he has one lol.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whole Hatch.
Done.
I believe it was up until 96 you could order a Trans Am with a low rise spoiler if you wanted to. I know for a fact you could in 93-95 and I believe 96 was the last year you could order it that way.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

yah i was told it may depend on the rear gear... but i dont have the car here to see what gear i have. I also know another guy that has a ta with a low rise also... wierd cause i dont see any on here.
I know where theres a full hatch with glass... but he wants like 300 for it... i was ganna offer alot less...or find one with busted glass so i can get a deal on it... but its prob more bs then i need... dont think i wanna mess swaping glass myself.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

yah i was told it may depend on the rear gear... but i dont have the car here to see what gear i have. I also know another guy that has a ta with a low rise also... wierd cause i dont see any on here.
I know where theres a full hatch with glass... but he wants like 300 for it... i was ganna offer alot less...or find one with busted glass so i can get a deal on it... but its prob more bs then i need... dont think i wanna mess swaping glass myself.
I've never heard of the rear gear being a determining factor but I could be wrong. I know for a fact you can find those hatches cheaper you just have to be patient in your search.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 96 had the low rise from the factory
Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

how hard was the swap?? did you do it,,,, is it better to have 2 or 3 ppl help lifting?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's an easy swap man. Open hatch, pull headliner down disconnect connectors, undo ground. Undo bolts on the two latches. Take off struts (make sure you're holding the hatch up) and lift and remove.
If you can carry ~100lbs for a min on your own, you can do it yourself easily. The lowrise hatch is WAY lighter than the high-rise TA hatch.
I pretty much did the swap myself. But asked for a helping hand when installing the high-rise hatch because I didn't want to damage the paint on either the car or the hatch.
Install is reverse of removal.
Easy.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here, email this seller & see if they have a red one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...n%3D3%26ps%3D6

Where are ya located?!?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not because of the rear gear. i've seen high rise hatch cars with 2:73's and i've seen low rise hatch cars with 3:23

i once saw a 95 T/A in blue with what looked like every option EXCEPT the hatch. it even had traction control. it was kind of odd to see.

It was just a seperate $375 option (code T43) from 95 to i think 97 and was standard on 98+. for 93 i believe ALL trans am's had it (although i did see one without it but it was a GM test mule car that even had a slightly different dash top) and then in 94 they had the T/A with the low rise spoiler and the T/A GT with the high rise.

FWIW the 96 was available with the low rise spoiler. The WS6 package on the T/A i believe mandated the T43 option as well as 3:23 gears in an auto.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats t43
my car is i think a ws6? its in storage and cant check now.
its auto, low rise wing, non ttop, p/w with 16" chrome 5 spokes
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here, email this seller & see if they have a red one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...n%3D3%26ps%3D6

Where are ya located?!?
eastern canada... no way im paying for shipping on a full hatch,,,, I need one locally and theres only one so far i can find... its even 4hrs away in a different prov. Im still looking but it must be either in PE, NB or NS
Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Whats the diffence in the low rise and high rise? I've noticed my buddy's '99 spoiler seems an inch or so taller than my '95.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Swapping mine right now need to paint yet but bought one off an 02 ws6 for my 94 formula need to change the latch off of the car because they are different I would for sure have at least 2 people might be able to do it yourself but would be really easy to scratch up your paint.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
Whats the diffence in the low rise and high rise? I've noticed my buddy's '99 spoiler seems an inch or so taller than my '95.
one has a space between one doesnt,,,, and i thought there was only one highrise but im no expert.
low rise:

High rise:
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is only one highrise T/A spoiler, however the firehawk used a couple of different spoilers that bolted onto the T/A highrise hatch.

this one in 2000

and this one in 01-02

i think there were some aftermarket ones too, like one from mecham but as far as SLP/Factory spoilers i think there were only 4 counting the low rise firebird one.

Quick Reply: Im looking for TA "Low rise" to "High rise" spoiler how to.....