Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buffing grus, come on in

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buffing grus, come on in

Hi guys, my friend just bought a buffer (sorry I dont know which kind) and, of course, wants to buff everyone's car. I personally dont know anything at all about them and I think he knows a little bit but has never done it before. I'm just curious if there are some good generic rules to follow with any type of buffer so we dont buff a nice big 0 on the side of my car? I just have light swirls and scratches. ANY info would be great. I'll try to find out what kind it is so we can get a little more specific with the recommendations. I guess we can just stick with what NOT to do until I can get some more details. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The type of buffer is HUGE. Is it a Porter Cable 7424 or a rotory? If its a rotory and he doesn't know EXACTLY what he is doing, run! If its a PC, you will be fine. But I would ask him to let you use it. The PC with the orange pad and M105/M205 will clear up the paint imperfections. The PC is very user friendly and you will be happy with the results. Just get some more details on the machine he has.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah find out what he has if it's an orbital or buffer. If he hasn't done it before then don't let him touch your car regardless. Polishing with a low speed buffer or orbital an't really mess up paint unless your real stupid. When you get into actual buffing, cutting and wet sanding you can ruin anyones day in a matter of seconds. Buffind and cutting has microabrasives in the compound, mine is white. My polish is yellowish tan. I get all my stuff from a detail shop I used to work at directly from the manufacturer not from walmart or pepboys. Try to see if someone can hook you up and get you stuff from Ardex or CAS directly, through a detail shop at a deealership or private one. That stuff is 10x better and 10x cheaper than the overpriced stuff at walmart like mothers. Anyquestions just message me.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:32 AM
Launching!

He's using a porter 7424xp , lake county pads, and pinnacle compound and polish. He did his own car and it looks great!
Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

thats a good start and its hard to hurt your paint with a PC
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my95LTwon
He's using a porter 7424xp , lake county pads, and pinnacle compound and polish. He did his own car and it looks great!
Sounds like he is on the right track. Very easy to do, just takes time.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

I started with a PC at first because I was scared to hurt the paint. I have done a few test pieces before and actually tried to burn through with the PC and I couldn't do it.

Although, general rule of thumb is to tape off all trim and body lines, and avoid corners. Your buddy will learn that when he starts to get a whole variety of different sized pads and move up to a real compound.

Quick Reply: Buffing grus, come on in