Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FX35 Projectors high beam won't come off

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FX35 Projectors high beam won't come off

I recently installed HID Lights with FX35 Projectors in my 1994 Formula.
I followed BlackBirdWS6's write up on how to make them fit.

I followed this wiring diagram

I tried it first without the Diode and the lights would go out when i clicked the high beams.
So I put the diode in between the high and low beam. I just bent the ends of the diode and stuck it in the factory harness where it connects the the light. The stripe was facing the low beam.

They work great except that the high beams don't like to come off. It goes from lows to highs fine just does not like to go from highs back to lows. I usually just turn the lights off and then back on and it returns to my low beams.
The high beam indicator in my dash also does not turn off anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some pictures of the lights
Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What diode are you using? Maybe it isn't the right type or it is bad.

Or could you do what us Camaro guys do to get the highs and lows on together? Connect the two wires in the dash together and then just leave out the diode altogether?
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

If I am not mistaken, the diode is there to provide power to the lows when the highs are on(switch on high beams). It should also not allow power to the highs when the lows are on(switch on low beams). It acts like a one way valve.

When the highs are turned on it raises a shield in the projector, and then lowers the shield for Low beams.

I think if I spliced the high and low beams together my highs would always be on and I would have no low beam. Although I'm not really sure.

The diode was from radioshack and was a 12v. That's all I remember about it. Do I need a specific diode?
If the one I have isn't working that would explain my problem...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are right if you splice the wires together out at the headlight it will make both low and high on at the same time.

However that is not what I'm talking about doing. Here is the write-up:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...same-time.html

Now, I haven't looked at any wiring diagrams to know how this works, or why it works, I just know that it works. I've done it on my Camaro, to keep the HID low beams on when I turn the halogen high beams on.

So what I'm thinking is, if the 93-97 birds have the same wiring in the dash (which I think they do, I think all 93-2002 fbodies are virtually the same general wiring in there), then doing that mod to your car would have the same effect. Just in this case it would operate the projector solenoid.

Regarding the diode, yes, you'd need one that is designed to hold the current. If you have too small a diode it can basically short inside, causing it to no longer properly stop current from flowing in the one direction.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, I see what you are saying about splicing the wire in the dash.
On your setup when you hit the high beams the low beams stay on and then you can switch back to low beams and the highs turn off.

This would probably work for me too. I am just wondering when you turn on your high beams, do the low beams click off for a second and then turn on with the high beams? Or do the lows stay lit while you turn on the high beams (stay lit while pressing switch)?

Also do the lows stay lit when the highs come off or do they flash off for a second?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cyteone
On your setup when you hit the high beams the low beams stay on and then you can switch back to low beams and the highs turn off.

This would probably work for me too. I am just wondering when you turn on your high beams, do the low beams click off for a second and then turn on with the high beams? Or do the lows stay lit while you turn on the high beams (stay lit while pressing switch)?

Also do the lows stay lit when the highs come off or do they flash off for a second?
I spliced the wires under my dash long ago, and there is no flickering off/on when you turn the high-beams on or off. They are a constant on.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyteone

The lows stay on constant, no flicker or anything. It works great.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The lows stay on constant, no flicker or anything. It works great.
Awesome. I will have to try this once I get my car running right again.

Quick Reply: FX35 Projectors high beam won't come off